Calculate the speed of a projectile from the angle and maximum height.

In summary, the problem involves a water fountain spraying water at a 50 degree angle from the horizontal and the goal is to find the horizontal speed of the water. By using SOHCAHTOA, it is determined that the distance from the fountain to the top of the arc is 0.15m. To find the horizontal speed, the formula Vx = Vy / tan (theta) is used, which involves finding the vertical velocity first using the formula Vyi = squareroot (2 * 9.8 * MAX Height). However, this formula is only applicable for free falling objects in parabolic motion.
Shadow37
The problem goes like this. A water fountain sprays water at a 50 degree angle from the horizontal. The top of the arc is .15m high. What is the horizontal speed of the water?

Using SOHCAHTOA, I have managed to find the distance the water flies, and the angles of the triangle the 50 degree angle forms, but that is it. Can anyone help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hope you can show all the equations used in your workings.

The use of SOHCAHTOA is permitted because our triangle has a 90° angle from the height of the fountain to the top of the arc. The θ is 50°, and the third angle is 40°.

From SOHCAHTOA, I used the TOA portion. Tangent of θ = opposite over adjacent.

tanθ = .15m / adjacent. Since θ is 50°, you can solve for adjacent, which is equal to -.552m.

This is the distance from the 50° to the 90°, in other words, from the fountain to the place below the top of the arc. Doubling this, you get the distance from the fountain to the place the water lands.

How do I go from here to the speed of the water?

Last edited:
Please, do not take me as being lazy. I have sat on this problem for hours now, and it still does not work for me. I have looked online, and went through several chapters in my physics book. I am pretty sure the answer is quite simple, but for some foolish reason, I cannot connect the dots.

Shadow37 said:
Please, do not take me as being lazy. I have sat on this problem for hours now, and it still does not work for me. I have looked online, and went through several chapters in my physics book. I am pretty sure the answer is quite simple, but for some foolish reason, I cannot connect the dots.

Vy = squareroot (2gh)

from the formula Vf^2 = Vi^2 +2*a*y
Vx = Vy / tan (theta)

TOA..

Last edited:
Genoseeker said:
Vy = squareroot (2gh)

from the formula Vf^2 = Vi^2 +2*a*y I have this formula, but not the accelaration.
Vx = Vy / tan (theta) What is this portion for?

TOA..
Hold on a sec. Let me get this straight, vertical velocity = squareroot (2 x 9.8 x .15) Yes?

Shadow37 said:
Hold on a sec. Let me get this straight, vertical velocity = squareroot (2 x 9.8 x .15) Yes?

yep that is the simplified version of one of the 5 kinematics equations.

and is ONLY true for free falling objects in parabolic motion.

Vyi = squareroot (2 * 9.8 * MAX Height)

it does not work all the time but i does for your case

Thanks for replying.

Vx = Vy / tan (theta) What is this portion for?

Answer. they are asking for the horizontal velocity and this finds the horizontal velocity from the vertical velocity.

1. What is a projectile?

A projectile is any object that is thrown, shot, or launched through the air. This could include objects such as balls, bullets, or rockets.

2. How do you calculate the speed of a projectile?

The speed of a projectile can be calculated using the formula v = √(2gh), where v is the speed, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and h is the maximum height the projectile reaches.

3. What is the relationship between the angle and speed of a projectile?

The angle at which a projectile is launched affects its speed. The higher the angle, the greater the initial upward velocity and the longer the projectile stays in the air. The lower the angle, the shorter the time it spends in the air and the lower the overall speed.

4. Can the maximum height of a projectile affect its speed?

Yes, the maximum height of a projectile can affect its speed. As the maximum height increases, the time the projectile spends in the air also increases, which can result in a higher overall speed.

5. Is the speed of a projectile affected by air resistance?

Yes, the speed of a projectile can be affected by air resistance. As a projectile moves through the air, it experiences air resistance which can slow it down and affect its overall speed and trajectory.