What exactly is blood pressure?

In summary: Low blood pressure, or hypotension, is a condition in which the blood pressure is lower than normal. It can occur for many reasons, but is most common in older adults and people who are overweight or have diabetes. Low blood pressure is treated with medications, lifestyle changes, or a combination of both. If low blood pressure is not treated, it can lead to heart disease, stroke, and kidney failure.
Sofie1990
I have just been to the doctors and had my blood pressure taken. My blood pressure was 106 over 66 and the time before it was 98 over 72. The doctor said it was low, but what exactly does low blood pressure mean? and why does it keep changing?
Also how many times is your heart suppose to beat in a minute, mine was 78. is that normal?

Biology news on Phys.org
oh come off it, Sofie, there's obviously nothing to worry about, or your doctor would have said so! :rolleyes:

different people have different blood pressure, and it changes a little every time it's taken

(if your doctor had measured you on his fantastically accurate height machine :tongue2:, and had told you that you were of lower than average height, would that worry you?)

stop trawling the internet, and go out and enjoy the sunshine! :smile:

Sofie1990 said:
I have just been to the doctors and had my blood pressure taken. My blood pressure was 106 over 66 and the time before it was 98 over 72. The doctor said it was low, but what exactly does low blood pressure mean? and why does it keep changing?
Also how many times is your heart suppose to beat in a minute, mine was 78. is that normal?
Your blood pressure is a bit low, but it is not low enough to be considered "low blood pressure". Yours is not in an unhealthy range, it could actually mean that you are very fit.

What Is Low Blood Pressure?

Hypotension is the medical term for low blood pressure (less than 90/60) with no symptoms.

A blood pressure reading appears as two numbers. The first and higher of the two is a measure of systolic pressure, or the pressure in the arteries when the heart beats and fills them with blood. The second number measures diastolic pressure, or the pressure in the arteries when the heart rests between beats.

Normal blood pressure is usually in the range of 120/80 (systolic/diastolic). In healthy people, especially athletes, low blood pressure is a sign of good cardiovascular (heart and blood vessel) health.

http://www.webmd.com/heart/understanding-low-blood-pressure-basics

1. What is blood pressure?

Blood pressure is the force that blood exerts against the walls of your arteries as it flows through your body. It is measured in millimeters of mercury (mmHg) and is typically represented by two numbers, the systolic pressure (the top number) and the diastolic pressure (the bottom number).

2. How is blood pressure measured?

Blood pressure is measured using a device called a sphygmomanometer, which includes an inflatable cuff and a pressure gauge. The cuff is wrapped around the upper arm and inflated until it temporarily stops the flow of blood. As the air is slowly released from the cuff, the healthcare provider listens for the sound of blood pulsing through the artery and records the corresponding pressure reading.

3. What is considered a normal blood pressure reading?

A normal blood pressure reading is typically around 120/80 mmHg. However, blood pressure can vary and may be influenced by factors such as age, gender, and overall health. It is important to regularly monitor blood pressure and consult with a healthcare provider if it consistently falls outside of the normal range.

4. What causes high blood pressure?

There are many factors that can contribute to high blood pressure, also known as hypertension. These include genetics, lifestyle choices (such as diet and exercise), chronic conditions (such as diabetes or kidney disease), and certain medications. In some cases, the cause of high blood pressure may not be known.

5. Why is it important to maintain a healthy blood pressure?

High blood pressure can increase the risk of serious health complications, including heart attack, stroke, and kidney disease. Maintaining a healthy blood pressure is important for overall cardiovascular health and can help prevent these potential risks. This can be achieved through a combination of healthy lifestyle choices and, if necessary, medication prescribed by a healthcare provider.