Cell diagrams - how to draw them

In summary, the conversation discusses balancing a half reaction equation involving V3+ and VO2+. The initial equation on the RHS does not include VO2+, but it is present in the final answer of C. The conversation highlights the importance of splitting the reaction into half reactions and balancing for electrons. It is noted that V3+ is the reducing agent and VO2+ is the oxidizing agent, and the stronger reducing agent should be placed on the left side of the equation. The conversation ends with the realization that paying attention to the specific ions involved can help in exams.
jsmith613

Homework Statement

attachment.php?attachmentid=146664&d=1336583430.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I always thought you put the electrolyte of one half cell on one side and the other electrolyte on the other side

The answer given is C.
But this includes VO2+ which is not in the initial eqn on the RHS?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try to split the reaction into half reactions.

borek said:
try to split the reaction into half reactions.

V3+ + H2O = VO2+ + 2H+
VO2+ + H2o = VO2+ + 2h+

They are not balanced yet (you ignored electrons), but you are on the right track.

Do you see why C?

Borek said:
They are not balanced yet (you ignored electrons), but you are on the right track.

Do you see why C?

Well V3+ is oxidised (reducing agent) and VO2+ is reduced (oxidising agent).
I think you are supposed to put the stronger reducing agent on the left side?

jsmith613 said:
I think you are supposed to put the stronger reducing agent on the left side?

Isn't it what they did?

Borek said:
Isn't it what they did?

...of course...I think I just get confused between VO2+ and VO2+.

...I guess though this will help me in exams as I will be more aware of what is going on...thanks for helping me :)

1. What is a cell diagram?

A cell diagram is a visual representation of a cell, showing its structure and components. It is typically used in biology to understand the organization and function of a cell.

2. Why is it important to know how to draw a cell diagram?

Drawing a cell diagram allows scientists to better understand the structure and function of a cell, which is essential in studying various biological processes and diseases. It also helps in communicating scientific findings and concepts to others.

3. What are the key components of a cell diagram?

The key components of a cell diagram include the cell membrane, cytoplasm, nucleus, organelles such as mitochondria and ribosomes, and any other structures specific to the type of cell being depicted.

4. What are some tips for drawing an accurate cell diagram?

To draw an accurate cell diagram, it is important to research and understand the specific type of cell being depicted, use a scale to ensure proper proportions, and label all structures clearly. It is also helpful to use different colors or shading to distinguish between different components.

5. Are there different ways to draw a cell diagram?

Yes, there are different ways to draw a cell diagram depending on the purpose and perspective. For example, a basic cell diagram may be drawn in a simplified and generalized manner, while a more detailed diagram may be needed for a specific research project or presentation.