Black holes and General Relativity

In summary, the documentary discussed the concept of a shortest possible length and how it comes from quantum gravity. It is unknown if the classical GR theory of black holes will break down at a length scale of the Planck length, but that doesn't mean that the radius of the singularity would be the Planck length.
Snaar
Hello everybody, I was watching a documentary about black holes the other day and I noticed something odd.

General Relativity is said to break down when you apply the mathematics on a singularity. In this case, the center of the black hole. The radius of a singularity would be 0. Now there was my problem. I was learned that the smallest possible length, is Planck's length (1.616199 × 10-35) meters. I guess that the radius of a singularity would have to be the shortest possible length.

What is your opinion on this? And where did I (probably) make my mistake in my 'logic'?

Thanks in advance! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Snaar said:
I was learned that the smallest possible length, is Planck's length (1.616199 × 10-35) meters. I guess that the radius of a singularity would have to be the shortest possible length.

The concept of a shortest possible length comes from quantum gravity; in classical General Relativity, there is no such thing. That's why the standard classical GR theory of black holes has a singularity at r = 0.

However, it is true that the presence of the singularity at r = 0 in the classical theory is one thing that indicates, to many physicists, that the classical GR theory breaks down at this point; and the best current guess we have right now as to the point at which it breaks down is at a length scale on the order of the Planck length. That doesn't mean that the radius of the singularity is the Planck length instead of zero; it means that, when we have discovered the right theory of quantum gravity, we expect that there will no longer be a singularity at all; instead some new physics will come into play at length scales on the order of the Planck length.

We don't have a good theory of quantum gravity yet, so all this is really speculation (educated speculation, but still speculation) until we do.

Alright, I get what you mean. I'm going to search some quantum gravity theories, I don't really get the concept of that.

Thanks for answering!

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space with such a strong gravitational pull that nothing, including light, can escape from it. This happens when a massive star dies and its core collapses under its own gravity, becoming incredibly dense and creating a singularity.

2. How are black holes formed?

Black holes are formed when a massive star runs out of fuel and can no longer produce enough energy to counteract its own gravity. The star's core then collapses, causing a massive explosion known as a supernova. The leftover core becomes a black hole.

3. What is the theory of General Relativity?

The theory of General Relativity, proposed by Albert Einstein, explains the behavior of gravity and its effects on space and time. It states that massive objects, such as planets and stars, can cause a distortion in the fabric of space-time, creating the force we know as gravity.

4. How does General Relativity explain black holes?

General Relativity predicts that when a massive star dies and forms a black hole, the intense gravitational pull causes a distortion in space-time, creating a singularity. The singularity has infinite density and a gravitational pull so strong that not even light can escape.

5. Can we observe black holes?

While we cannot observe black holes directly, we can detect their presence through the effects they have on their surroundings. For example, we can observe the gravitational lensing of light around a black hole, or detect the radiation emitted by matter falling into a black hole. However, the event horizon of a black hole, the point of no return, cannot be observed directly.