Need opinion on a heat sink (concept)

In summary: No, the fan will rotate at the same speed as the air flowing over it.What are you trying to cool? Is it a solid square object directly below the fan? What is it made of?lets say its a hub sink made of Aluminium,I mean it cools multiple heat source perhaps by liquid cooling or like this one below (can be used for other purposes too)(taken from www.hothardware.com/articleimages/Item1128/small_Asetek_LCLC_3Dmodel.jpg)I ask because it matters how the heatsink interfaces with whatever it's primarily cooling, be that a hot surface
silent_hunter
Hello, I want to share a very simple concept with you guys. Last night I randomly modeled a heat sink [the fan is coupled with a motor,cool air will be supplied separately(details are in the picture)], now please give your opinion on it. Will this system work? I don't know if this type of mechanism is already in use or not.
thank you.:smile:

Attachments

• top.jpg
    top.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 407
  • bottom.jpg
    bottom.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 441
  • closeup.jpg
    closeup.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 439
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
The only problem I see is that the contact area of your heatsink with whatever it is supposed to be cooling is very low. This is why most commercial HSFs (heatsink + fan) have a solid base. The more contact area you have to carry heat away from the device and into the fins/pins, the better.

This design would probably not work for a CPU since most of the heat is generated right in the center, where you have no contact at all, and the integrated heat spreader is a simple thin aluminum plate.

Some older video cards do have a design like yours, with the fan embedded within the heatsink, but they too still retain a solid base below the fan.

justsomeguy said:
The only problem I see is that the contact area of your heatsink with whatever it is supposed to be cooling is very low.
thanks for your reply.
So according to you may the cooling rate be improved if I reduce the size of the fan and increase contact area?

silent_hunter said:
thanks for your reply.
So according to you may the cooling rate be improved if I reduce the size of the fan and increase contact area?

What are you trying to cool? Is it a solid square object directly below the fan? What is it made of?

justsomeguy said:
What are you trying to cool? Is it a solid square object directly below the fan? What is it made of?

lets say its a hub sink made of Aluminium,I mean it cools multiple heat source perhaps by liquid cooling or like this one below (can be used for other purposes too)
small_Asetek_LCLC_3Dmodel.jpg

(taken from www.hothardware.com/articleimages/Item1128/small_Asetek_LCLC_3Dmodel.jpg)

I ask because it matters how the heatsink interfaces with whatever it's primarily cooling, be that a hot surface like a CPU heat spreader, or water block, or whatever.

Not knowing that, my suggestion is not to shrink the fan (though that would help) but to put a solid base below the fan -- get rid of the 'hole' the fan blows through, presumably onto something hot that needs cooled, and get that hot thing in touch with the metal of your heatsink.

Like so:

http://www.ikbensnel.nl/Pictures/heatsink.jpg

You can cut a hole in the fins to put the fan in, but that's reducing the surface area that the air can move over, so you need to compensate with a higher CFM fan. That may not even be enough depending on the thermal coefficient of whatever you're building the HSF out of. Best to just slap the fan on top, in a shroud, like everyone else does (for good reason) ;)

justsomeguy said:
"..."
got it ,thanks.
one thing, Can outward flow of cool air below the fan(3rd pic of my 1st post) create disturbance for the fan(since air forces blades on the opposite direction of its rotation) ?

Last edited:
This is similar to what you're proposing, maybe it makes it more clear. Whatever you're trying to cool needs to have it's full surface in contact with the heat sink material. You also want to block axial flow through the fan to ensure all the air is pushed around heatsink vanes and not just into some material it can't effectively cool.

fan-2-small.jpg

Image is from an old low-power graphics card HSF. The other two heatsinks are passive coolers for the DRAM.

A clearer example:
http://www.p-wholesale.com/upimg/5/115a2/universal-vga-heat-sink-473.jpg

justsomeguy said:
"..."
got it ,thanks.
one thing, Can outward flow of cool air below the fan(3rd pic of my 1st post) create disturbance for the fan(since air forces blades on the opposite direction of its rotation) ?

1. What is a heat sink and why is it important?

A heat sink is a device that is designed to absorb and dissipate heat in order to prevent overheating in electronic devices. It is important because excessive heat can damage sensitive components and reduce the overall performance and lifespan of a device.

2. How does a heat sink work?

A heat sink works by using thermal conductivity to transfer heat away from a heat-generating component and into the surrounding environment. It typically consists of a metal base and fins that increase the surface area for heat to dissipate.

3. What factors should be considered when choosing a heat sink?

When choosing a heat sink, factors such as heat dissipation requirements, size and weight constraints, and the type of heat source (CPU, GPU, etc.) should be considered. It is also important to ensure compatibility with the device and proper installation.

4. Is there a specific type of material that is best for heat sinks?

The most commonly used material for heat sinks is aluminum, but other materials such as copper, graphite, and various alloys can also be effective. The choice of material depends on the specific application and the desired thermal performance.

5. Can a heat sink be used for overclocking?

Yes, a heat sink can help to dissipate the excess heat generated by overclocking a device. However, depending on the degree of overclocking, additional cooling methods such as fans or liquid cooling may also be necessary to prevent overheating.