Warm Beaches, Hot Volcanoes And Cold Back Home

In summary: I don't think it was legally binding, but it was definitely a real marriage. Just a really beautiful place to be.
lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Just got back home from the Kona side of Hawai'i. Wow. What a freakishly cool place that is!

Day one, snorkeling. Saw so many fish...blue, yellow, stripes, red, dots, skinny, long, buck-toothed, bug-eyed, orange, green,...wow. Just, wow.
Day two, long hike along beach. Admired the flowers and trees - Dr Seuss could not have come up with something more astounding than a Banyan Tree! Saw a giant sleeping turtle.
Day three, hiked down and around Waipi'o Valley. Thousand feet drop...easy there, knees, don't fail me now. Was accosted by 6 or 7 wild horses! They're killers!
Day four, drove up the coast a bit to a beautiful beach, met up with a hippy-chick who married me and my sweetie. Three turtles were in attendance! Wedding crashers! Went to a luau that evening...is there anything more beautiful than Polynesian dancing?
Day five, long drive to Volcano National Park. Hiked across a volcanic crater (Kilauea Iki Trail). Found something called "Pele's Hair" -- spun glass fibers resembling hair.
Day six, more snorkeling. Saw a Moray Eel !1!
Day seven, long trip back home.

Wow, what a planet we live on!

Will post pics soon, they're all still in the camera.

Last edited:
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
I was in Hawaii for about a day and a half in 2004 on the way to take a load of cruise missiles to Andersen AFB, Guam. Managed to make it to Wakiki beach or something like that while I was there. And I got to say, it looks EXACTLY like the pictures of Hawaii paint it as. Just absolutely beautiful. If anyone ever gets the chance to go, TAKE IT!

lisab said:
Day six, more snorkeling. Saw a Moray Eel !1!

Yeah, Moray Eels can be a bit scary up close. But it's worse on night dives -- they get friendly when they are sleepy, and they come out of their holes and swim up to you wanting to figure out what you are! :bugeye:

lisab said:
Day four, drove up the coast a bit to a beautiful beach, met up with a hippy-chick who married me and my sweetie.

Congratulations!:smile:

lisab said:
Just got back home from the Kona side of Hawai'i. Wow. What a freakishly cool place that is!

Yes indeed. Hawaii is so hyped that I had a somewhat negative impression of the place until I went there the first time. But wow! In many ways it really is paradise. We spent time on the Kona coast and just loved it! Glad to hear you had just a great time.

When we visited Oahu, there was an old Japanese gentleman living across the street from our incredibly cool beach house. He and I spent a lot of time talking - he had watched as the zeroes bombed the harbor on that fateful day. He was imprisoned on the island and released after the war ended. And he never left. When I asked why, he responded, "Why would anyone want to live anywhere else?".

Vagrant said:
Congratulations!:smile:

Thanks! The whole trip was dream-like, but that was definitely the highlight.

http://imageshack.us/a/img339/5594/bandlu.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img607/1984/bandl2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
*total envy!* I love Kona, it is the best part of the island. Did you get to drive around the whole island? I was blown away to find out they had a desert region with cactus and ranches. Hilo is a nice sleepy town, but the water is too cold for me to snorkel.

I have even looked at buying property there, but it is so hard to move away from family.

Sweet pictures, you two look very happy! (and it is driving me nuts, he looks very familiar)

Congratulations!

Wish I could go! I love snorkeling, even cold Maine waters. Right in front of my wife's great-uncle's place there was deep water and a little island, and I could get up-close and personal with some very large trout. Nothing as pretty as reef-fish. Still I would like to have gotten to Hawaii. My eldest nephew was ported out of Honolulu until earlier this year, and he and his wife and daughter loved the place. Due to health problems related to fragrances, I can't fly anymore. Not much of a chance for a bridge, either.

You look so happy. I'm so glad you got to get out there in the warm weather.

turbo said:
Not much of a chance for a bridge, either.

Step 1: Build Raft.
Step 2: Build solar powered engine.
Step 3: Put solar power engine onto raft.
Step 4: Hire someone to ship you out to Hawaii on a real boat.

Welcome back lisab!

I'm so glad for you lisa! You look so happy!

Sounds like an awesome trip!

Was the marriage for real or just a hippie sort of non-legal thingy?

What a beautiful pair. Thanks for sharing lisab.

lisab said:
Thanks! The whole trip was dream-like, but that was definitely the highlight.
or honeymoon-like. :biggrin:

http://imageshack.us/a/img339/5594/bandlu.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img607/1984/bandl2.jpg

You guys look married.

Welcome home.

Thanks everyone!

zoobyshoe said:
Sounds like an awesome trip!

Was the marriage for real or just a hippie sort of non-legal thingy?

It's for real. We met the woman who does licenses at 10:00, and we were married by noon. So it was a hippy sort of legal thingy. Or maybe a legal sort of hippy thingy? :biggrin:

Congratulations! :smile:

lisab said:
It's for real. We met the woman who does licenses at 10:00, and we were married by noon. So it was a hippy sort of legal thingy. Or maybe a legal sort of hippy thingy? :biggrin:

Hopefully you knew the guy longer than that!

Congratulations. I see you got lei'd before you got married. Was this your first marriage? I mean to each other. I think I'd like it in Hawaii, but I don't know if I'll ever get a chance to go there.

lisab said:
Well, then, congratulations!

Congrats Lisa! Wish all of your days flourish with happiness. :smile:

Delightful, entrancing, ravishing, enchanting - both the two of you AND Hawaii.
Congrats!

Drakkith said:
Hopefully you knew the guy longer than that!
WOW! (throws flowers and organic brown rice).

I am SO HAPPY for you! :!)

Please give Mr Basil my congrats. Got a cute lady that is skilled in material sciences and can saw and chisel mortises, tenons etc, for timber construction. What a package!

My best to both of you.

Congrats lisab..! be happy..!always.!

surajt88 said:
Congrats lisab..! be happy..!always.!

ditto kid. ditto. :wink:

Congratulations on the legal sort of hippy thingy, sounds like a great trip!

Oops, missed the thread earlier. Congrats Lisa, wish you all the best!

Thanks, everyone. We certainly surprised our adult children ! Well it's good to keep them on their toes.

We informed them via text:

Relationship status update: Married.

A wedding gift for the lovely bride.

http://jurbanrings.com/i/cicada_wing_earrings_emerald_medium_light_green.jpg

Congrats lisab! What could be more better way to marry than on a trip to Hawaii :!)

Wow! Congratulations to you and your man, lisab!

"'Ho'omaika'i 'ana", both!1!

1. What causes the temperature differences between warm beaches, hot volcanoes, and cold back home?

The temperature differences between these locations are primarily due to differences in latitude and elevation. Warm beaches are typically located closer to the equator, where the sun's rays hit the Earth's surface more directly and consistently. Hot volcanoes are often found at higher elevations, where the air is thinner and can't trap as much heat. Cold back home may be at a higher or lower latitude, but the temperature is also affected by factors such as ocean currents and prevailing winds.

2. How do warm beaches, hot volcanoes, and cold back home affect the local ecosystems?

The varying temperatures in these locations create unique ecosystems that are adapted to their specific climates. Warm beaches are home to tropical plants and animals, while hot volcanoes may have more arid or alpine vegetation. Cold back home may have a mix of temperate and polar species. These ecosystems also play a crucial role in regulating the Earth's overall climate and weather patterns.

3. Why do some beaches have warmer water than others?

The temperature of ocean water is influenced by several factors, including the amount of sunlight it receives, the depth of the water, and the presence of ocean currents. Beaches that receive more direct sunlight and are located in shallow, sheltered areas tend to have warmer water. Ocean currents can also bring warm or cold water to a particular beach, depending on their origin and direction.

4. How do hot volcanoes impact the surrounding environment?

Hot volcanoes can have both positive and negative impacts on the surrounding environment. On one hand, they can create new land and bring valuable nutrients to the soil. On the other hand, volcanic eruptions can release harmful gases and ash that can damage ecosystems and affect air quality. The heat from volcanoes can also create extreme conditions that only certain species can survive in.

5. What role do warm beaches, hot volcanoes, and cold back home play in the Earth's climate?

These locations all play a crucial role in regulating the Earth's climate. Warm beaches and hot volcanoes are sources of heat that contribute to the overall temperature of the planet. Cold back home, particularly in polar regions, helps to regulate the Earth's temperature by reflecting sunlight back into space. The interactions between these locations and the rest of the Earth's systems, such as the atmosphere and ocean currents, help to maintain a delicate balance of temperatures that support life on our planet.

Back