Simultaneous events - special relativity

In summary: For symmetry, Δt(3,4)=Δt'(1,2), Δt(1,2)=Δt'(3,4)Yes, that's correct.So Δt(1,2)>Δt(3,4)and the events should not be simultaneous to Jim, the same for PamIs this right?Yes, that is correct. In summary, proper time intervals measured by an observer in their own rest frame will always be smaller than coordinate time intervals measured by an observer in a different frame. This means that events that are simultaneous in one frame will not be simultaneous in another frame.
jaumzaum
I'm studying special relativity and I'm having difficulty in understanding somethings. I have 2 questions I'm confused about.

1) If I am moving in relation to you, when you observe me, I should be in slow-motion. but you are moving in relation to me, so when I observe you, will you be in slow motion too?

2) Consider the following experiment. Pam and Jim are moving in a 1-dimensional space frame. Pam moves to the right with velocity v (in relation to me, I'm at rest at the origin), and Jim moves to the left with velocity v too. Both are hanging a 1 meter rule in the hands, pointing forward. They have always the same distance in relation to the origin.
Consider the following events
Event 1: the front of the Pam's rule touches Jim
Event 2: the back of the Pam's rule passes Jim
Event 3: the front of the Jim's rule touches Pam
Event 4: the back of the Jim's rule passes Pam

Δt(x,y) = time interval between event x and y measured by Pam
Δt'(x,y) = time interval between event x and y measured by Jim
Δt''(x,y) = time interval between event x and y measured by me

For me, events 1 and 3, 2 and 4 should be simultaneous. But let's analyze Jim's frame of reference. For Jim, event 1 and 2 occur at the same place, so, Jim measures the proper time. Thereby Δt(1,2) > Δt'(1,2)
Also, Δt'(3,4) > Δt(3,4)

For symmetry, Δt(3,4)=Δt'(1,2), Δt(1,2)=Δt'(3,4)
So Δt(1,2)>Δt(3,4)
and the events should not be simultaneous to Jim, the same for Pam
Is this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
These diagrams show how the simultaneity is different when events are seen from three frames. I'm not sure if the labelling corresponds to yours.

Attachments

• P-G-3.png
    P-G-3.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 423
  • P-G-2.png
    P-G-2.png
    2.5 KB · Views: 419
  • P-G-1.png
    P-G-1.png
    2.7 KB · Views: 426
jaumzaum said:
I'm studying special relativity and I'm having difficulty in understanding somethings. I have 2 questions I'm confused about.

1) If I am moving in relation to you, when you observe me, I should be in slow-motion. but you are moving in relation to me, so when I observe you, will you be in slow motion too?
I will see you "in slow motion" and you will see me "in slow motion", yes.

2) Consider the following experiment. Pam and Jim are moving in a 1-dimensional space frame. Pam moves to the right with velocity v (in relation to me, I'm at rest at the origin), and Jim moves to the left with velocity v too. Both are hanging a 1 meter rule in the hands, pointing forward. They have always the same distance in relation to the origin.

For me, events 1 and 3, 2 and 4 should be simultaneous.
Well, that's a problem. "Simultaneity" is also relative to the frame of reference. Two events that are seen to be simultaneous from one frame of reference are not necessarily simultaneous from another. In fact, if there exist a frame of reference in which events A and B are seen to be simultaneous, there will exist a frame of reference in which A occurs before B and another in which B occurs before A.

But let's analyze Jim's frame of reference. For Jim, event 1 and 2 occur at the same place, so, Jim measures the proper time. Thereby Δt(1,2) > Δt'(1,2)
Also, Δt'(3,4) > Δt(3,4)

For symmetry, Δt(3,4)=Δt'(1,2), Δt(1,2)=Δt'(3,4)
So Δt(1,2)>Δt(3,4)
Is this right?

jaumzaum said:

For me, events 1 and 3, 2 and 4 should be simultaneous.
Yes, in your rest frame, events 1 and 3 are simultaneous. But events 2 and 4 are simultaneous in every frame since they are the same event.
jaumzaum said:
But let's analyze Jim's frame of reference. For Jim, event 1 and 2 occur at the same place, so, Jim measures the proper time. Thereby Δt(1,2) > Δt'(1,2)
It's not a good idea to compare Coordinate Times or Coordinate Time intervals between frames. But the way you expressed it is good because you referred to the Proper Time. However the best way to say it is: in Pam's rest frame, the Coordinate Time interval between events 1 and 2 is greater than the corresponding Proper Time interval on Jim's clock.
jaumzaum said:
Also, Δt'(3,4) > Δt(3,4)
Similarly, in Jim's rest frame, the Coordinate Time interval between events 3 and 4 is greater than the corresponding Proper Time interval on Pam's clock.

I'm not just nitpicking-these are important distinctions. Jim and Pam can actually measure the Proper Times on each of their own clocks but they cannot measure the Coordinate Times or intervals of remote events. Rather, we calculate those times based on the selected Inertial Reference Frame.
jaumzaum said:
For symmetry, Δt(3,4)=Δt'(1,2),
Two Proper Time intervals will have the same value-no problem.
jaumzaum said:
Δt(1,2)=Δt'(3,4)
Two Coordinate Time intervals will have the same value but why are you comparing them?
jaumzaum said:
So Δt(1,2)>Δt(3,4)
Now you are back to one IRF and your conclusion is probably correct, but I don't know the why you are doing this.
jaumzaum said:
Is this right?
What events are you referring to? You've been dealing with time intervals and time intervals are not events so I don't know what you are asking.

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that describes how objects move and interact in space and time, especially at high speeds. It is based on two main principles: the principle of relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, and the principle of the constancy of the speed of light, which states that the speed of light in a vacuum is the same for all observers regardless of their relative motion.

2. How does special relativity explain simultaneous events?

Special relativity explains that simultaneous events are relative and can be perceived differently by different observers depending on their relative motion. This is due to the fact that the speed of light is constant and time and space are not absolute, but instead are perceived differently by different observers depending on their frame of reference.

3. Why is it important to consider special relativity when studying simultaneous events?

Special relativity is important because it provides a deeper understanding of how time and space are connected and how they are perceived by different observers. It also explains the observed phenomena of time dilation and length contraction, which have been confirmed by numerous experiments and have important implications for our understanding of the universe.

4. Can simultaneous events occur at different times for different observers?

Yes, according to special relativity, simultaneous events can occur at different times for different observers depending on their relative motion. This is because time is relative and can be perceived differently by different observers. What may be considered simultaneous for one observer may not be simultaneous for another observer in a different frame of reference.

5. How does special relativity affect our everyday lives?

Special relativity has many practical applications in our everyday lives, especially in the fields of technology and communication. For example, GPS systems use special relativity to accurately measure time and calculate distances, as the satellites are moving at high speeds relative to the Earth. It also plays a role in modern technologies such as particle accelerators and nuclear energy. Additionally, the theory has had a profound impact on our understanding of the universe and has led to groundbreaking discoveries in physics.