The form of gravitational potential energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the gravitational potential energy in celestial mechanics and how it relates to the motion of two bodies in orbit. There is a discrepancy in the equations used in different sources, but ultimately, the potential energy is dependent on the relative position vector between the two bodies. The simplification of considering the sun as stationary does not affect the results, but may not work as well in systems with more than two bodies.
henpen
http://www.scholarpedia.org/article/Celestial_mechanics#Newton.E2.80.99s_Celestial_Mechanics In this source, the gravitational potential energy is given as [itex] \frac{-MmG}{r}-\frac{mmG}{r}[/itex], seeming to imply that the [itex]\frac{MmG}{r}[/itex] result only applies to a body, mass [itex]m[/itex], in a gravitational potential, not a two-body sytem. Why is this, or is it an error?

I would have thought, given that the force is [itex]-\frac{mMG}{r^2}[/itex], the potential energy is [itex]-\int (-\frac{mMG}{r^2}) =-\frac{mMG}{r}[/itex]: certainly not the result in the source.

Physics news on Phys.org
I suspect the radius r in the Force and energy equations in Scholarpedia are slightly different.

Often because M is so much greater than m, I have elsewhere see the approximation M + m about equal to M...which matches your proposed integration result.

The equation here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escape_velocity#Calculating_an_escape_velocity

for escape velocity shows - GMm/r [as you suspected] for the potential energy BUT that 'r' is from the surface of earth...and my old physics book has the same -GMm/r when the sun is considered to be at rest...

and I just watched Leonard Susskind derive the same potential energy in lecture 2 of his Cosmology series.

In other formulations, the center of mass of a system of an orbiting sun and planet about each other [sun is not stationary] is based on mr =mR...where such a center of mass is stationary...

So you are on the right track, I think, but exactly what was assumed and approximated in 'Scholarpedia' is not clear to me.

henpen said:
I would have thought, given that the force is [itex]-\frac{mMG}{r^2}[/itex], the potential energy is [itex]-\int (-\frac{mMG}{r^2}) =-\frac{mMG}{r}[/itex]: certainly not the result in the source.
Since the r they use is the relative position vector between the Sun and the planet, the acceleration of this quantity must be the sum of the accelerations of the two bodies (since they both act along this vector to change its length, each attracting the other). So, the force on the planet is [itex]-\frac{G(M+m)m}{r^2}[/itex] (the M coming from the acceleration of the planet by the Sun and the m in parenthesis coming from the acceleration of the Sun by the planet) yielding a potential of [itex]-\frac{G(M+m)m}{r}[/itex]. The total potential energy uses μ = Mm/(M+m) in place of the m outside of the parenthesis (since the Sun also has potential energy due to the gravity of the planet). [itex]-\frac{G(M+m)\mu}{r}=-\frac{G(M+m)Mm}{(M+m)r}=-\frac{GMm}{r}[/itex]. The total energy of the Sun-planet system is: [itex]E=\frac{1}{2}\mu{}v^2-\frac{GMm}{r}[/itex] (where [itex]r=|\vec{r}|[/itex] and [itex]v=\dot{\vec{r}}[/itex]). The energy equation on the scholarpedia site is just for the energy of the planet.

IsometricPion said:
Since the r they use is the relative position vector between the Sun and the planet, the acceleration of this quantity must be the sum of the accelerations of the two bodies (since they both act along this vector to change its length, each attracting the other). So, the force on the planet is [itex]-\frac{G(M+m)m}{r^2}[/itex] (the M coming from the acceleration of the planet by the Sun and the m in parenthesis coming from the acceleration of the Sun by the planet) yielding a potential of [itex]-\frac{G(M+m)m}{r}[/itex]. The total potential energy uses μ = Mm/(M+m) in place of the m outside of the parenthesis (since the Sun also has potential energy due to the gravity of the planet). [itex]-\frac{G(M+m)\mu}{r}=-\frac{G(M+m)Mm}{(M+m)r}=-\frac{GMm}{r}[/itex]. The total energy of the Sun-planet system is: [itex]E=\frac{1}{2}\mu{}v^2-\frac{GMm}{r}[/itex] (where [itex]r=|\vec{r}|[/itex] and [itex]v=\dot{\vec{r}}[/itex]). The energy equation on the scholarpedia site is just for the energy of the planet.

Thank you, that's an excellent answer, clearing all my previous problems.

By the way, in the model where the sun isn't stationary (i.e.[itex]F=-\frac{G(M+m)m}{r^2}[/itex]), is it a simplification to assume that the sun is stationary, and exerts a force of [itex]-\frac{G(M+m)m}{r^2}[/itex] on the planet: does this pedagogical simplification actually reproduce the same results as reality, or must one use the frame of reference where the sun and Earth are moving?

Last edited:
henpen said:
By the way, in the model where the sun isn't stationary (i.e.[itex]F=-\frac{G(M+m)m}{r^2}[/itex]), is it a simplification to assume that the sun is stationary, and exerts a force of [itex]-\frac{G(M+m)m}{r^2}[/itex] on the planet: does this pedagogical simplification actually reproduce the same results as reality, or must one use the frame of reference where the sun and Earth are moving?
Yes, you get the same results as reality. Of course this simplification does not work as perfectly in systems with more than two bodies.

IsometricPion said:
Yes, you get the same results as reality. Of course this simplification does not work as perfectly in systems with more than two bodies.

Thank you, Isometric Pion. It seems counter-intuitive that treating the COM of the sun (i.e. a non-inertial reference-frame (the sun's accelerating)) as the origin of the co-ordinate system yields the same result as a inertial reference frame, but that's probably just me. Thanks again.

1. What is gravitational potential energy?

Gravitational potential energy is the energy possessed by an object due to its position in a gravitational field. It is the energy that is stored when an object is lifted against the force of gravity.

2. What factors affect the amount of gravitational potential energy?

The amount of gravitational potential energy is affected by an object's mass, the distance between the object and the center of the gravitational field, and the strength of the gravitational field.

3. How is gravitational potential energy calculated?

The formula for gravitational potential energy is PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height or distance from the center of the gravitational field.

4. What is the relationship between potential energy and kinetic energy?

Potential energy and kinetic energy are two forms of energy that an object can possess. As an object gains potential energy, it loses kinetic energy, and vice versa. This is known as the law of conservation of energy.

5. Can gravitational potential energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, gravitational potential energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy, thermal energy, or electrical energy. This conversion often occurs when an object falls or moves in a gravitational field.