Conductors in large electric fields

In summary: The electric field inside is zero, but the surface can still conduct electricity. In summary, when a conductor is placed in an electric field, the charges inside the conductor will relocate to create an opposing electric field that cancels out the outside field. However, there is a limit to how big of an opposing field the charges can create. If the external electric field is larger than the conductor's maximum opposing inside field, the conductor may ionize and rip apart or behave as an insulator. Additionally, field emission and the possibility of an arc may occur. However, the bulk metal of the conductor will still remain a conductor even though the electric field inside is zero.
gralla55
You place a conductor in an electric field. The charges inside the conductor will relocate, to form an opposing electric field which cancels the outside field, making the field inside the conductor zero.

However, surely there's a limit to how big an opposing field the charges in the conductor can create. My question is, what will happen if you place a conductor in an electric field larger than the conductors maximum opposing inside field?

Physics news on Phys.org
Offhand I'd say you would ionize the conductor and rip it apart.

gralla55 said:
My question is, what will happen if you place a conductor in an electric field larger than the conductors maximum opposing inside field?

I would guess it not longer behaves as a conductor. Being a conductor means you have free and mobile charges. If your external field has pinned down all your charges then you now have an insulator.

Drakkith said:
Offhand I'd say you would ionize the conductor and rip it apart.
Right, you get field emission, which is the emission of electrons from the conducting surface. Eventually you could get an arc (lightning bolt).

ModusPwnd said:
I would guess it not longer behaves as a conductor. Being a conductor means you have free and mobile charges. If your external field has pinned down all your charges then you now have an insulator.
No, the bulk metal is still a conductor.

Last edited:

I can assure you that there is indeed a limit to how big an opposing field the charges in a conductor can create. This limit is known as the breakdown voltage or dielectric strength of the material. Once the electric field inside the conductor reaches this limit, the charges in the conductor will no longer be able to create an opposing field and the conductor will experience a breakdown. This can result in the formation of an electrical arc or spark, which can potentially damage the conductor.

In addition, the behavior of a conductor in a large electric field also depends on the material and shape of the conductor. For example, a pointed conductor will have a lower breakdown voltage compared to a smooth, rounded conductor. This is because the electric field is concentrated at the pointed tip, leading to a higher charge density and a breakdown at a lower field strength.

Furthermore, the surrounding environment and atmospheric conditions can also affect the behavior of a conductor in a large electric field. For instance, high humidity can decrease the breakdown voltage of a conductor due to the presence of moisture and ions in the air.

In summary, it is important to consider the material, shape, and environmental factors when placing a conductor in a large electric field. Going beyond the maximum opposing field of a conductor can result in a breakdown, potentially causing damage to the conductor and surrounding equipment. Therefore, it is crucial to carefully design and select appropriate conductors for use in high electric fields.

1. What is a conductor?

A conductor is a material that allows electric charges to flow through it easily. This is because it has a high number of free electrons that can move freely in response to an electric field.

2. How does a conductor behave in a large electric field?

In a large electric field, a conductor will experience a force due to the free electrons within it. The electrons will move in the direction of the electric field, resulting in a current flow through the conductor.

3. Why are conductors used in large electric fields?

Conductors are used in large electric fields because they can easily carry and distribute electric charges. This is important in applications such as power transmission, where large amounts of electricity need to be transported over long distances.

4. What happens to a conductor when it is placed in a large electric field?

When a conductor is placed in a large electric field, it will experience a phenomenon known as electric polarization. This is when the free electrons within the conductor are displaced in response to the electric field, creating an electric dipole moment.

5. How can the behavior of conductors in large electric fields be described?

The behavior of conductors in large electric fields can be described by Ohm's law, which states that the current through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage across it, and inversely proportional to its resistance. This means that as the electric field (voltage) increases, the current through the conductor also increases.