How many joules expended for a push up?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the amount of energy expended by doing a push up. The initial estimate is 392 J, but it is noted that this may be lower than the actual energy used due to other muscles contracting to keep the body straight. There is also a comparison made to a half-marathon and the difference between raw power output and chemical energy. Another calculation is presented, taking into account weight and distance, and it is noted that it may not be entirely accurate due to the body not being 100% efficient. There is also a mention of energy being dissipated in various biological processes during exercise and the possibility of using websites or apps to do this calculation.
wannab
Just wondering if any of you can do the calculation that well approximates the amount of joules expended by a push up.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure. Determine the centre of mass of the body ( which might be around your belly button or a bit higher ) and then calculate the amount of work needed to raise the centre of mass by doing a pushup. By the way, this will be lower than the energy the body is using internally. Other muscles, for example the stomach muscles, are contracting to keep the body straight.

I'm around 80kg and I go about 0.5m high. So the change in potential energy is 80*9.8*0.5 = 392 J

Is that a reasonable estimate of the total minimum possible expended energy?

Can you believe a few years ago I was on the second year of an undergraduate Physics degree!? It has completely fallen out of my head -_-

That would mean a few hundred pushups would be expending the same energy as a half-marathon (according to a running app of mine) ... that can't be true

maybe I'm confusing calories with kcal or something. hmmfph.

wannab said:
maybe I'm confusing calories with kcal or something. hmmfph.
That's probably it. You're calculation of 400 J looks reasonable.

Keep in mind that a joule is a pretty miniscule amount of energy. There is a reason electric companies charge by the kW-hr (millions of joules), rather than by the joule.

I think 0.5m is a bit on the high side.
There is a large difference between the raw power output (here: used to lift the body) and the amount of chemical energy the body needs. I don't know how the running app calculates its values.

Push up and food

Hi guys, i came up with this relations between food and physical exercise,here my calculations:
Weight=70kg, Distance for push up=0.5m, Distance for squad=0.5m, distance for abs=0.5m.
70kg(9.81m/s2)=686.7N, so in exercise minimum i have to move my center of mass 0.5m:
1 push up=1squad=1abs: 343.35J=82.06cal
Lets say that i eat one can of tuna fish=94.9kcal
To waste the energy from tuna fish i would have to do 385 push ups, squads and abs!
hahahaha to much!
Be aware that these are very simple calculations

Your body is not 100% efficient, so this number gets reduced significantly. In addition, you need energy even if you are resting (of the order of 100W thermal, ~2000kcal/day, but with significant variation in the population).

In a push up, you do not lift the entire body. You lift the head by 50 cm, the arms by 40 cm, the chest by 30 cm … and the toe tips don’t move at all. Assuming that the weight is distributed equally along the length of the body, I therefor added a correction factor of 0.5:

80 kg * 9.8 N/kg * 0.5 m * 0.5 = 196.2 J

For comparison, a slice of bread has 500 kJ, a candy bar has 1000 kJ, and a gram of body fat has 30 kJ.

Well during push-ups a lot of energy is dissipated in the friction between the muscles, maintaining the tension in tendons and ligaments, and much more biological processes.

many websites and apps can do this calculation
by research over many participants over long workout sessions
estimating a variation of joules or calories spent over change in body temp

This thread is three years old. Let it rest, please.

Likes davenn

1. How do you calculate the number of joules expended for a push up?

The number of joules expended for a push up can be calculated by multiplying the weight of the person performing the push up (in kilograms) by the distance they move during the exercise (in meters) and the force required to move their body (in Newtons).

2. What is the average number of joules expended for a push up?

The average number of joules expended for a push up can vary depending on the weight of the person and the intensity of the exercise. However, on average, a person may expend around 1-2 joules for each push up they perform.

3. Does the speed of the movement affect the number of joules expended for a push up?

Yes, the speed of the movement can affect the number of joules expended for a push up. Moving faster requires more energy and therefore more joules will be expended compared to performing the exercise at a slower pace.

4. Can the number of joules expended for a push up be increased?

Yes, the number of joules expended for a push up can be increased by either increasing the weight of the person performing the exercise, increasing the distance they move during the exercise, or increasing the force required to move their body (such as by using resistance bands or weights).

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the number of joules expended for a push up?

Yes, other factors that can affect the number of joules expended for a push up include the person's muscle strength and endurance, their overall fitness level, and the form and technique used during the exercise.