Beta plus decay: mass balance?

by Chem.Stud.
Tags: balance, beta, decay, mass
Chem.Stud.
Aug13-13, 09:49 AM
P: 25
Hi:

I am taking a radiochemistry class, and I am confused by beta plus decay.

(1) p --> n + positron + electron-neutrino

The mass of a proton is less than the mass of a neutron. In addition, the neutrino has mass as does the positron.

(2) E = mc2

There must be come sort of balance, must there not? Mass cannot be created unless energy is consumed. So where does the nuclei get the energy from to convert a single proton into three different particles, one of which has a larger mass than the proton itself?

I hope I have made my confusion understandable. Also, my macbook would not let me use the greek characters or sub- and superscript.

Sincerely,
Anders
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists consider implications of recent revelations about the universe's first light
Vacuum ultraviolet lamp of the future created in Japan
Grasp of SQUIDs dynamics facilitates eavesdropping
SteamKing
Aug13-13, 10:13 AM
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 5,578
The beta-plus decay cannot occur in a single proton due to the need for energy to be supplied from some external source.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beta_decay

In heavier nuclei, beta-plus decay can occur if the original nucleus has a higher binding energy than the nucleus which remains after the emission of the beta-plus particle.
Chem.Stud.
Aug13-13, 10:17 AM
P: 25
Ahh, that makes sense. Thank you for your help.

Register to reply