Evidence of water found in Martian soil

In summary, NASA's Curiosity rover has found evidence of water in the Martian soil, with its very first scoop. About 2 percent of the soil on the surface of Mars is made up of water, which could potentially be a great resource for human exploration and colonization. This finding also suggests the possibility of there being or once being life on Mars. However, the water is not in liquid form but rather bound to other minerals in the soil. Overall, this discovery sheds new light on the history and potential habitability of Mars.
MathJakob
http://www.nasa.gov/content/goddard...ater-and-more-in-surface-sample/#.UkTyTz8pnjK

Curiosity has found evidence of water in the martian soil – with its very first scoop.

"One of the most exciting results from this very first solid sample ingested by Curiosity is the high percentage of water in the soil," said Laurie Leshin, lead author of one paper and dean of the School Science at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. "About 2 percent of the soil on the surface of Mars is made up of water, which is a great resource, and interesting scientifically."

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2013/sep/26/nasa-curiosity-rover-mars-soil-water

Astronomy news on Phys.org
So what does this find mean for us exactly? Can we use it for colonization? Does it tell us more about Mars's history? By the way, is it really liquid or mineral hydration?

Greg Bernhardt said:
So what does this find mean for us exactly? Can we use it for colonization? Does it tell us more about Mars's history?

Well for a start it means there probably is or was some sort of life on Mars at one point or another. If there is water just a few inches deep in the surface, there may well be large quantities deeper down that humans could use should we ever try to colonise mars. I'm not exactly sure of the real significance it has to man on Earth, but I'm pretty sure finding water elsewhere in the universe is the primary ingredient for life to exist.

2 percent actually seems like a lot. That's very surprising.

Greg Bernhardt said:
By the way, is it really liquid or mineral hydration?
I am not sure but I think the article is implying mineral hydration as it says
Laurie Leshin said:
"About 2 percent of the soil on the surface of Mars is made up of water, which is a great resource, and interesting scientifically."
Bolding mine.
EDIT: The paper confirms it.
http://www.sciencemag.org/content/341/6153/1475
No hydrated phases were detected. However, as shown by Leshin et al., pyrolysis of Rocknest fines using the Sample Analysis at Mars (SAM) instrument suite revealed volatile species, probably in the amorphous component, including H2O, SO2, CO2, and O2, in order of decreasing abundance. ChemCam measurements of these materials also revealed the presence of H. It is likely that H2O is contained in the amorphous component and CO2 was liberated via the decomposition of Fe/Mg carbonates present below the XRD detection limit of 1 to 2%. Isotopic data from SAM indicate that this H2O, and possibly the CO2, were derived from the atmosphere.
MathJakob said:
Well for a start it means there probably is or was some sort of life on Mars at one point or another.
mmm...Don't think so, presence of water doesn't imply life, though it certainly makes it a tiny bit more probable. We should wait till SAM confirms presence of any organic compounds and even then the chances as far I understand are quite low...

Last edited:
The atmosphere did not only blow off but the surface absorbed it. There is so much water in the soil.

The quantity of water in the soil was rather shocking. It is probably easily enough to be a usable resource for human explorers.

I think you misinterpreted the findings. Where did you see that the water is "liquid"?

willstaruss22 said:
There is so much water in the soil.
Two percent water is very low by Earth standards. That's the residual water content that remains in the top 30 cm of the soil of the driest of sandy deserts after years without precipitation.

phyzguy said:
I think you misinterpreted the findings. Where did you see that the water is "liquid"?
I agree. The thread title is rather misleading. I'm sorely tempted to use (abuse?) my ability to change the title. I suspect the OP was mislead by news reports that did the misinterpretation for him.

MathJakob said:
Well for a start it means there probably is or was some sort of life on Mars at one point or another. If there is water just a few inches deep in the surface, there may well be large quantities deeper down that humans could use should we ever try to colonise mars. I'm not exactly sure of the real significance it has to man on Earth, but I'm pretty sure finding water elsewhere in the universe is the primary ingredient for life to exist.

A primary ingredient for life as we know it, here on earth.
Doesn't mean it's the only possible living form.

MathematicalPhysicist said:
A primary ingredient for life as we know it, here on earth.
Doesn't mean it's the only possible living form.

Agreed. Sorry if I included the word liquid in the title aswell. The reason I did is as follows

"Dirt sample reveals two pints of liquid water per cubic feet, not freely accessible but bound to other minerals in the soil" - TheGuardian Newspaper that I linked as a source.

My bad

What evidence supports the claim that water has been found in Martian soil?

Scientists have used various instruments and techniques to analyze Martian soil samples and have found the presence of minerals, such as perchlorates, that are known to form in the presence of water. They have also observed changes in the soil's physical properties, such as darkening and increased moisture levels, that suggest the presence of liquid water.

How much water has been found in Martian soil?

The amount of water found in Martian soil varies depending on the location and depth of the sample. Some areas have been found to contain as much as 60% water by weight, while other areas may have lower concentrations.

What implications does the discovery of water in Martian soil have for the possibility of life on Mars?

The presence of water is a key ingredient for life as we know it, so the discovery of water in Martian soil suggests that the planet may have been habitable in the past and could potentially support microbial life currently. This finding also opens up the possibility for future human exploration and potential colonization of Mars.

How does the discovery of water in Martian soil impact our understanding of the planet's history?

The presence of water in Martian soil provides evidence that the planet may have had a more Earth-like environment in the past, with a thicker atmosphere and warmer temperatures that could have sustained liquid water on the surface. This finding also suggests that Mars may have gone through significant changes over time, and understanding these changes can help us better understand the evolution of our solar system.

What are the potential uses for water found in Martian soil?

If we are able to extract and purify the water found in Martian soil, it could potentially be used for human consumption, agriculture, and fuel for spacecrafts. This would greatly benefit future missions to Mars, as it would reduce the need to transport large amounts of water from Earth.