Recommend an instant messaging program

In summary, the conversation discusses the frustration with Skype's history feature and the desire for a chat platform that allows for private conversations without saving history. The suggestion is made to try the LINE app by Naver, which is available on iPhone, Android, and PC and has 300 million subscribers. Other options such as a PHP-based chatroom or using Steam for gaming are also mentioned.
oneamp
I am sick of skype. It doesn't let you turn off history on iphone/android, and the history saved there comes flooding back to your PC when you start skype there. I want something that I can talk with, preferably without saving history at all, but at least having an option of turning it off. For android, iphone, PC, and mac.

Private chat websites work too, as long as I can use them on all the platforms.

Thank you

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
I'll check it out thank you. But I guess no linux or macos support... for now I will just put a php based chatroom on my own server.

It has Macosx support but not Linux.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_(application )

Line has an interesting story behind it too. It was borne from the Fukushima earthquake/tsunami tradegy in Japan by a company that could only use the internet to reach its employees.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you

oneamp said:
Thank you

Don't forget to use the thanks button on the posts that helped.

If you do any gaming, you can use Steam as an instant messaging platform, it works very well and can be used on Windows, Mac, Linux, Android and iOS.

1. What is an instant messaging program?

An instant messaging program is a type of software that allows users to communicate with each other in real-time through text, voice, and video messages over the internet.

2. What are the benefits of using an instant messaging program?

Instant messaging programs offer convenience, speed, and cost-effectiveness for communication. They allow users to send and receive messages instantly, have group conversations, share files, and make voice or video calls without additional costs.

3. Are there any security concerns with using an instant messaging program?

While most instant messaging programs have built-in security measures such as end-to-end encryption, there is always a risk of hackers intercepting messages or accessing personal information. It is important to choose a reputable and secure instant messaging program and be cautious about sharing sensitive information.

4. Can I use an instant messaging program for business purposes?

Yes, many instant messaging programs offer features specifically designed for business use, such as team collaboration tools, screen sharing, and integration with other business software. However, it is important to check the program's terms of use to ensure it is allowed for business communication.

5. What are some popular instant messaging programs?

Some popular instant messaging programs include WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, Skype, Slack, and WeChat. It is important to research and compare different programs to find the best fit for your needs.