60Hz to 50Hz converter for subwoofer

• Thread starter Fixer187
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Converter
In summary: Klipsch actually makes a power amp specifically for this subwoofer, the KSW-32:http://www.klipsch.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/640x640/feb2014/klipsch/ksw-32.jpgIt would be worth checking out if that would be of any help.Yes, I've heard about the KSW-32. I'm not sure if it would help, since it is specifically designed to power the subwoofer.
Fixer187
Hello,

I have bought an Energy Take classic 5.1 surround set from the US and I live in Belgium because this set is not for sale in Europe. When I orders it, I had taken into account that the powercord and Voltage were different. But I did not know that it was 60Hz instead of 50Hz. Are there any solutions for this problem?

Thank you!

Dave

Likes Bartsman
Engineering news on Phys.org
Fixer187 said:
Hello,

I have bought an Energy Take classic 5.1 surround set from the US and I live in Belgium because this set is not for sale in Europe. When I orders it, I had taken into account that the powercord and Voltage were different. But I did not know that it was 60Hz instead of 50Hz. Are there any solutions for this problem?

Thank you!

Dave

Welcome to the PF.

We will probably need to see a schematic of the power supply for the subwoofer before we can be of much help.

Or else you could contact the manufacturer to ask their technical support folks this question...

If you are lucky, you may find it just requires a single DC power feed, internally. If it does then you can replace the internal PSU with another, off the shelf, external one. I guess the low frequency regulation could be a problem but your SW should have some pretty large reservoir capacitors inside. It could depend on just how fussy you are about a bit of 'saggyness' for high level / low frequency components. At least, a separate SW will not affect your main amp outputs when someone puts their foot on a 32ft double diapason pedal.

Hi Dave, I have exactly the same problem. May I ask if you found a solution? Will the Energy subwoofer tolerate 50 Hz? Your input would be much appreciated.

Voltage difference between US and EU (120 vs 230 V) is much bigger problem than frequency difference (60 vs 50 Hz)

Likes billy_joule
Look it over carefully for a nameplate.

Many switcher power supplies are "universal" and will run from 90 to 270 volt input.

A quality subwoofer more likely has a transformer power supply not a switcher.
You'll have to verify the transformer has taps for 230 volts and is rated for 50 hz.
Sometimes quality gear has switches that'll allow you to select transformer taps for Euro input voltage. Dual primary windings would be paralleled for 120, series for 230.

Look your unit over carefully.

I see the owners manual here
http://www.energy-speakers.com/docs/common/TK-CLASSI-5-1/TK-CLASSI-5-1_OM.pdf

mentions a 120 volt US version
and gives an address for inquiries
http://www.energy-speakers.com/support/ which directs you to
http://support.klipschgroupinc.com

i'd think Klipsch name indicates quality... but one can't tell anymore.

Lastly I'm confused by this review:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2405955,00.asp
Note that unlike most of the speakers we test, the Energy Take Classic 5.1 is unpowered. It's meant to be paired with a receiver, integrated amplifier, or separate pre-amp and amplifier components in a full-sized living room or den system. This is the more traditional way of putting together an audio system, which dates back decades, but I just wanted to point that out up front.
and i find no mention of power in its specifications. And spec sheet says it connects via heavy binding posts, like old fashioned speakers sans amplifier.

Just what the heck is this thing? Why does it have a power cord at all?
Is the light only cosmetic?

Last edited:
mashmallow said:
Hi Dave, I have exactly the same problem. May I ask if you found a solution? Will the Energy subwoofer tolerate 50 Hz? Your input would be much appreciated.

The speaker shouldn't be seeing any 50 or 60 Hz from the power supply anyway if the supply is working correctly with its rectification, smoothing and regulation
Any AC ripple is going to be very minimal

you are worrying about nothing

zoki85 said:
Voltage difference between US and EU (120 vs 230 V) is much bigger problem than frequency difference (60 vs 50 Hz)

Agreed ... that is the major issue, getting the correct replacement transformer that will output the correct AC voltage(s) to be rectified and possibly also regulated

Dave

Thanks for your responses. The subwoofer is rated for 110V / 60 Hz only. Whether or not the subwoofer's transformer will overheat and fail at 50 Hz depends on its design, but the manufacturer won't provide further information (or offer any solutions) and taking it apart is not an option. Of course voltage is the main problem but this is also very easily resolved. Frequency conditioning on the other hand is rather expensive to solve. Hence, the original poster's findings would be most helpful.

mashmallow said:
Thanks for your responses. The subwoofer is rated for 110V / 60 Hz only.

as already commented, the power transformer inside the subwoofer box needs to be replaced with a transformer that is Mains voltage rated for whatever country you are in

again, voltage is not the issue. an external transformer will easily rectify the voltage problem.

so what is your problem ?

please read previous posts more carefully. the frequency difference may cause the subwoofer transformer to overheat and fail, or it may not. taking apart the subwoofer is not an option, nor is frying it as an experiment, nor does the manufacturer know. the question is very simple: can this specific Energy subwoofer handle 50 Hz as it is out of the box, or not.

Im assuming ... since trying to get all the info from you is a little difficult ...

it seems you may want to use an external 220-240V to 110V transformer on the outside
tho this is OK, its a bit of a cumbersome waste ... much more efficient to do as I said earlier and replace the transformer inside the woofer box

for your audio system 50/60 Hz isn't going to make any difference ... its more of a worry for motor applications that are designed to run at a specific voltage and frequency

is that clear enough ? :smile: :smile:

Dave

there is no guarantee that the frequency difference won't damage the subwoofer's transformer. it depends on the transformer design; therefore, without knowing about the specific design, or without having tried it as the OP already might have, one cannot confidently determine that "50/60 Hz isn't going to make any difference".

One protects a transformer by assuring it is operated within rated volts/hz.
120V/60hz = 100V/50hz .
So you'd buy a 240::100 volt external transformer thereby eliminating all worry.But if you guys are too timid to take it apart and see what's inside
then you are suffering under a helplessness that's self imposed .
I ran into this last night with a dead Panasonic microwave oven. The nice lady at Panasonic "Tech Support" offered me an owner's manual which i already have and it contains just useless consumer fluff, most technical thing in it is "How to heat Ramen Noodles".
She absolutely refused to admit that a service manual for it exists, and insisted Panasonic has no engineering department...
She was a polite and nice lady but clueless.
I get really ticked at being considered a "helpless consumer" : translate "cash crop fit only to be harvested " .So... What are you guys going to do with those subs? Do you even know for sure they have a transformer inside?
What if you looked and found a transformer stamped "50/60 hz" with an unused 230 volt tap?
Be aware if that happens you should put in a smaller fuse.

Likes Bartsman and davenn
Hello

Can you tell me what you did with the sub?
I'm from Belgium to, and I also want to buy this speakerset.
Could you please tell me if the speakersystem works?

Hi Bartsman,

Sorry for the delayed reply, hopefully it can still help. I have been running the Energy Take Classic 5.1 subwoofer with an external 220 V / 110 V transformer, without altering the frequency. There has been no problem so far, although there's always a chance of increased wear and tear on the subwoofer components with prolonged exposure to a different (i.e., not designed for) frequency. (Therefore, I disconnect the subwoofer when not in use.) One thing to be aware of: owing to the different frequency, there is an extremely low hum from the subwoofer, however, I can't hear this unless I'm trying hard to find it. No one has noticed it, and it's an non-issue for me, but just so that you're aware.

Overall, the speaker set is amazing and the subwoofer will work fine with an external transformer as far as I can tell (I've been running mine for 4 months now). I have no regrets getting this system. I run it with an Onkyo TX-NR636 receiver (which I bought from Europe so there are no voltage/frequency mismatch problems with the receiver at least).

Hopefully that helps someone out there with the same dilemma.

Bartsman said:
Hello

Can you tell me what you did with the sub?
I'm from Belgium to, and I also want to buy this speakerset.
Could you please tell me if the speakersystem works?

Look, a service center. (Or perhaps a "no service" center; one never knows.):wideeyed:

Just for other people's info. I just hooked up the exact system in Australia via an external 240/110 volt transformer also at 50 hertz. Like marshmallow I can hear a low hum from the subs transformer even when no audio is connected to it. I gather this due to supplying 50 hertz to its 60 hertz internal transformer.

Doesnt seem like a problem yet however realising the internal 60 hertz transformer is running a little warmer I'll keep an eye on it and turn the sub off when not using it. One day when I get a chance Ill do what Jim suggested by taking a look inside to check out the internal transformer and see if I can read any specs then maybe consider how hard it maybe to change the internal transformer to one with a primary voltage of 240volt. This would elimate the need for an external transformer.

Likes jim hardy
I am curious about the two reports of hum.
How is your external transformer's output side "earthed" ?
Is there a third prong on the subwoofer power cord ?
The manual is unclear.
9 Do not defeat the safety purpose of the polarized or grounding-type plug. A
polarized plug has two blades with one wider than the other. A grounding
type plug has two blades and a third grounding prong. The wide blade or the
third prong are provided for your safety. If the provided plug does not fit into
your outlet, consult an electrician for replacement of the obsolete outlet.
http://www.energy-speakers.com/docs/common/TK-CLASSI-5-1/TK-CLASSI-5-1_OM.pdf

I have an el-cheapo sub that also hums. It has a SMPS which i assume needs better filtering.

I repaired a quality sub for a friend , it had a good heavy 50/60 hz transformer supply . I didn't notice whether it had 230 volt taps.
It had developed slight hum over the years. It only needed filter caps, i replaced the 80 degC rated originals with 105 degC.

http://www.illinoiscapacitor.com/pdf/Papers/reliability_of_capacitors_general.pdf

External transformer is earthed through the 3 pin connect to the supply. The sub doesn't have a third pin just a twin polar.

1. What is a 60Hz to 50Hz converter for subwoofer?

A 60Hz to 50Hz converter for subwoofer is an electronic device used to convert the frequency of power supply from 60Hz (Hertz) to 50Hz. This allows the subwoofer to operate in areas where the power supply frequency is 50Hz without any performance issues.

2. Why do subwoofers need a 60Hz to 50Hz converter?

Subwoofers are designed to operate at specific frequencies, and most subwoofers are designed to operate at 60Hz. In areas where the power supply frequency is 50Hz, the subwoofer may not function properly and may produce distorted or low-quality sound. A 60Hz to 50Hz converter is needed to ensure that the subwoofer can operate at its optimal frequency.

3. How does a 60Hz to 50Hz converter work?

A 60Hz to 50Hz converter typically uses a transformer to change the incoming power supply frequency from 60Hz to 50Hz. The transformer steps down the voltage and adjusts the frequency to match the subwoofer's requirements. Some converters may also use other electronic components to regulate the frequency and ensure a stable power supply to the subwoofer.

4. Can any subwoofer use a 60Hz to 50Hz converter?

Not all subwoofers are designed to be used with a 60Hz to 50Hz converter. Some subwoofers may not have the necessary components to handle a different frequency, and using a converter may damage the subwoofer. It is important to check the manufacturer's specifications and recommendations before using a converter with a subwoofer.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using a 60Hz to 50Hz converter for subwoofers?

One potential drawback of using a 60Hz to 50Hz converter is that it may introduce some noise or interference in the audio signal, which can affect the sound quality. Additionally, using a converter may also increase the overall power consumption of the subwoofer. It is important to choose a high-quality converter and follow the manufacturer's instructions to minimize any potential drawbacks.