Why does silver carbonate dissolve in nitric acid?

• Thread starter kevinnn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Silver
In summary, the conversation discusses the dissolution of silver carbonate in nitric acid and the role of LeChatelier's principle in this process. It is mentioned that the reaction between nitric acid and silver carbonate produces soluble silver nitrate and carbonic acid, but it is pointed out that the explanation does not fully relate to LeChatelier's principle. The final step, the decomposition of carbonic acid, is highlighted as an important factor in understanding the dissolution of silver carbonate.
kevinnn
This is my last question on a prefab and I want to make sure this answer is correct. The question states;
On the basis of LeChatelier's principal, explain why silver carbonate dissolves when nitric acid is added.
I said it was because mixing nitric acid and silver carbonate will produce silver nitrate, which is soluble, and carbonic acid, (I'm assuming carbon dioxide and water which forms carbonic acid). This answer seems much more like the explanation of just a chemical reaction instead of relating directly to LeChatelier's principal. What am I missing? Thanks.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You ignored the (most important) final step. What happens to carbonic acid?

Thanks.

1. What is silver carbonate and why does it need to be dissolved?

Silver carbonate is a chemical compound composed of silver, carbon, and oxygen atoms. It is commonly used in various industries, including medicine and photography. However, it often needs to be dissolved in order to be used or to undergo further reactions.

2. How do you dissolve silver carbonate?

Silver carbonate can be dissolved in water or in acidic solutions. When dissolved in water, it forms a weakly alkaline solution, while dissolving it in an acidic solution produces silver ions that can easily react with other substances.

3. What is the process of dissolving silver carbonate in water?

The process of dissolving silver carbonate in water involves adding the compound to the water and stirring until it completely dissolves. This may take a few minutes, depending on the amount of silver carbonate and the temperature of the water.

4. Can you speed up the process of dissolving silver carbonate?

Yes, the process of dissolving silver carbonate can be sped up by increasing the temperature of the water or by breaking the compound into smaller pieces. This provides more surface area for the water to act on, allowing for faster dissolution.

5. What are some safety precautions to keep in mind when dissolving silver carbonate?

Silver carbonate is a hazardous substance and should be handled with care. It is important to wear gloves and protective eyewear when handling it. Additionally, it should be dissolved in a well-ventilated area to avoid inhaling any fumes. After use, the container and any tools used should be properly cleaned and disposed of according to safety regulations.