Does my alcohol burner have a problem?

• Thread starter z.js
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Alcohol
In summary, a blue flame indicates that an alcohol burner is functioning properly and burning the alcohol efficiently. If the burner is not producing a flame, it could be due to a lack of alcohol, improper attachment, or a clogged wick. Only use the specified type of alcohol for safety and performance. To safely extinguish the burner, use a snuffer cap or wait for it to cool down before handling.
z.js
I have an alcohol burner running on methylated spirits(C2H6O) and Wikipedia says that ethanol burns with a blue flame. Why does my burner burn with a orange-yellow flame? and it burns the wick a little as well. :confused:

Chemistry news on Phys.org
z.js said:
and it burns the wick a little as well.

That's why you get the orange flame. Take pure spirit in a spoon and light it. You will get a blue flame.

z.js said:
and it burns the wick a little as well.

Is this normal?

z.js said:
Is this normal?

Yes.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. It is possible that your alcohol burner has a problem. The color of the flame produced by burning ethanol can vary depending on the amount of oxygen present in the environment. A blue flame indicates that there is enough oxygen for complete combustion, while an orange-yellow flame suggests that there is not enough oxygen and incomplete combustion is occurring.

There are a few possible reasons for this. One possibility is that the wick is not properly saturated with the methylated spirits, causing incomplete combustion and the orange-yellow flame. Another possibility is that the burner is not getting enough air flow, which can also lead to incomplete combustion and a yellow flame. Additionally, the burner may need to be cleaned or have its wick replaced if it is burning unevenly and causing damage to the wick.

I would recommend checking the wick and ensuring that it is properly saturated with the methylated spirits. You can also try adjusting the air flow to see if that improves the flame color. If the problem persists, it may be necessary to clean or replace the burner. It is important to address this issue as incomplete combustion can release harmful byproducts such as carbon monoxide. I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any further questions.

1. Is my alcohol burner producing a blue flame?

If your alcohol burner is producing a blue flame, then it is functioning properly. A blue flame indicates that the alcohol is being burned efficiently and completely.

2. Why is my alcohol burner not producing a flame?

There are a few possible reasons why your alcohol burner may not be producing a flame. First, make sure that there is enough alcohol in the burner to create a flame. Also, check if the burner is properly attached to the base and if the wick is clean and dry. If these do not solve the issue, there may be a problem with the fuel or the burner itself.

3. How do I know if my alcohol burner is clogged?

If your alcohol burner is producing a weak or flickering flame, it may be clogged. To check, remove the burner from the base and inspect the wick. If it is black or has any debris, it may need to be cleaned or replaced.

4. Can I use any type of alcohol in my burner?

No, it is important to use the type of alcohol specified for your burner. Denatured alcohol or isopropyl alcohol are commonly used for alcohol burners. Using a different type of alcohol can affect the performance and safety of the burner.

5. How do I safely extinguish my alcohol burner?

To safely extinguish your alcohol burner, use a snuffer cap or carefully blow out the flame. Do not try to blow out the flame if the burner is too hot to touch. Always wait for the burner to cool down before refilling or handling it.