Understanding Water Flow Dynamics in a Bernoulli's Pipe

In summary, the higher the water level in the pipe, the faster the water coming out of the side hole.
tucky
Hi everyone….I have a new question. I am writing a lab write-up and I am kind of confused about a concept. In this lab I studied the even flow of water by analyzing the flow of water through a Bernoulli’s pipe. The pipe was set up in a way that it was vertical, open at the top (where a hose rested, which allowed water in) and at the side of the pipe a small hole….where water was projected out. I allowed the water to flow through the pipe in a condition of dynamic equilibrium. In this state, the rate of the flow of water into the top of the pipe equaled the rate of the flow of water out of the side of the pipe. From my measurements, I was able to determine the speed of the water emerging out of the pipe through the hole by using three different equations to verify my results. These equations where: kinematics equation (projectile motion), Bernoulli’s equation, and the equation of continuity (R=Av).

My question is….there was a correlation between the speed and the height of the water in the pipe. The higher the water in the pipe the faster the speed of the water coming out of the hole. Does anyone know why that is the case.

Is it because water is entering the pipe at a faster speed, therefore the water coming out of the pipe at a faster speed. Or, is it because there is more water flow entering the pipe, therefore more of a flow coming out of the side hole?

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe it's because the more water in the tank, the more potential energy it has. Therefore, for energy to remain constant, the potential energy (which is greater when water is higher) must be converted into kinetic energy with no loss, which will increase the velocity at which it flows from the hole.

I believe this is the reason but we just covered this subject a week ago in my class so I could be all wrong. Hope it helps.

-Edge

Thanks...that make since to me.

1. What is Bernoulli's Principle?

Bernoulli's Principle states that in an ideal fluid flow, the sum of the kinetic energy, potential energy, and pressure energy remains constant throughout the system.

2. How does water flow through a Bernoulli's pipe?

In a Bernoulli's pipe, water flows through a constriction or narrowing in the pipe. This causes an increase in the flow velocity and a decrease in pressure, according to Bernoulli's Principle.

3. What factors affect water flow dynamics in a Bernoulli's pipe?

The factors that affect water flow dynamics in a Bernoulli's pipe include the diameter of the pipe, the shape of the constriction, the viscosity of the fluid, and the velocity of the water.

4. How does the shape of the constriction affect water flow in a Bernoulli's pipe?

The shape of the constriction can either increase or decrease the flow velocity and pressure within the pipe. A smooth, gradual constriction will cause a more gradual change in velocity and pressure, while a sharp, sudden constriction will cause a more drastic change.

5. What practical applications does understanding water flow dynamics in a Bernoulli's pipe have?

Understanding water flow dynamics in a Bernoulli's pipe is important in many engineering and science fields, such as fluid mechanics, aerodynamics, and hydraulic systems. It can also be used in everyday applications, such as designing efficient plumbing systems or improving the performance of water pumps.