Help with tracking down antique

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tracking
In summary, an English tea set that is brightly coloured and shaped like a granny or nanny. It is missing its musicbox and I'd like to find a replacement.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
(Apparently I have acquired a bit of a reputation for asking odd questions...)

I have come into possession of an English tea set that is in the form of a brightly coloured granny or nanny. It looks like this:
http://cache.tias.com/stores/danicasantiques/pictures/nt14a.jpg"

Can anyone tell me what it is called?

It is missing its musicbox and I'd like to see if I can find a replacement. No luck on ebay at least until I can call it by name.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Does it have a maker's mark on the bottom?

It has painter's marks. (In fact, I have *three* pieces that form a set - each piece is marked differently).

These are not manufacturer's marks. There do not appear to be any, though it does say Made in England.

I love tea pots but whenever they're made to resemble something they become grotesque. I only like them when they're fairly plain, and don't look like anything but a tea pot.

MY wife is an antique collector, as was her mother. Her mother died 30 years ago when my wife was but a teen. All her mother's possessions were scattered to the four winds - as were her children. After thirty years AWOL, this tea set - the one most coveted by my wife - has been found in a box belonging to a virtual stranger of the family, and brought home.

OK, maybe TMI there. But not really so much about the objective aesthetic value here...

Here's an identical mold of the teapot except it's painted an ugly green.

Is the mold of yours exactly like the picture you show or only similar? I may be able to track it down for you.

What are the painter's marks?

http://www.rubylane.com/ni/shops/victoriasjems/iteml/02484#pic1

The Sarah Gump{granny} tea pot sells for 130.00 dollars in Michigan. They were made in and around Burslem England, up until the 1940's.

I don't know if Forest Gump would approve of the selling of that family heirloom.

Evo said:
Is the mold of yours exactly like the picture you show or only similar?
Identical - except this one is coloured like in my original OP.
Evo said:
What are the painter's marks?
See attached.

Last edited:
Let me see if I can track the stamp down.

Here is another link to the icky green version it's from Burslem, England. I also found a "made in Japan" version of your teapot.

http://pages.rosemarysantiqueshop.com/9039/PictPage/1921681663.html

hypatia, do you recognize that stamp?

Ive seen her painted in a lot of different ways...but that green, makes poor Granny look ill! I've bought and sold several of them over the years, figural tea pots are always popular.

It looks like the sort of heirloom that has a curse on it.

"Don't drink tea from Granny: it'll make you see the day of your death."

Is the fact that there is no maker's mark an indication that this is not from a prestigious manufacturer?

Also, is the fact that the three marks are all different an indication that these 3 pieces were not originally part of the same set?

Prestigious..perhaps not, but still nicely made. Large potteries like Woods and Sadler, had a bunch of ladies who painted the glazes. I'd give good odds that they were not sold as sets, but offered as matching accessories.

1. How do I determine if an item is truly an antique?

There are a few ways to determine if an item is an antique. One approach is to look for maker's marks or signatures, which can provide information about the age and origin of the item. You can also research the item's material and design to see if it aligns with historical styles and techniques. Another method is to consult with an appraiser or expert in the specific type of antique you are interested in.

2. Where can I find reputable antique dealers?

You can find reputable antique dealers through online resources such as collector's forums, antique marketplaces, and auction sites. It is also helpful to visit local antique shops and speak with the owners about their expertise and experience. Additionally, attending antique shows and events can connect you with knowledgeable dealers and collectors.

3. How can I track down the provenance of an antique item?

The provenance, or history of ownership, can add value and authenticity to an antique item. To track down provenance, start by researching the item itself and any available documentation or records. You can also contact previous owners or their relatives, and consult with experts or institutions that specialize in the specific type of antique.

4. What are some red flags to watch for when buying an antique?

When purchasing an antique, it is important to watch out for red flags that may indicate the item is not authentic or valuable. Some red flags to look for include inconsistent or questionable documentation, suspiciously low prices, and lack of provenance or history of ownership. It is also important to be cautious of items with alterations or damage that may decrease their value.

5. Is it possible to track down the value of an antique item?

While it can be challenging to determine the exact value of an antique, there are resources and methods you can use to get an idea of its worth. Researching similar items and their prices can give you a general idea of the market value. You can also consult with appraisers or experts in the specific type of antique, and consider the item's condition, rarity, and demand. Keep in mind that the value of an antique can fluctuate and is ultimately determined by what a buyer is willing to pay for it.