Analyzing Dark Matter Halos: Isothermal vs NFW Profiles

• Thread starter S.P.P
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Isothermal
In summary: It's not a great fit to the Milky Way because it has a much larger virial radius. The virial radius is the radius of a sphere that encompasses around 200 times the critical density. But how does the virial radius compare to the physical radius of a halo. For instance, I've read the virial radius for the Milky Way was 428 kpc or so. Much larger than the radius of the milky way, which is around 15 kpc. Do I need the physical radius of the milky way in order to model it as an NFW halo?There is no one answer to this question. Depending on the model and the specific galaxy, different parameters might be necessary
S.P.P
Hi all,

I have currently been reading up on dark matter halos as I’m considering doing a small project on them for my degree. I plan to use an (approximated) analytical equation for the density at r of an isothermal halo in terms of the halos central density and core radius.

density(r) = density(0) * (a^2)/(a^2+r^2)
where a = core radius.

How would I be able to fix either the core radius or central density of in order to model the Milky Way?

I would love to compare this result with a model of the milky way that has an NFW profile.

Regarding the NFW halos, I’m having trouble with the virial radius. The virial radius is needed in order to calculate the scale radius, which is used in the equation for the density at r. I understand the virial radius is the radius of a sphere that encompasses around 200 times the critical density. But how does the virial radius compare to the physical radius of a halo. For instance, I've read the virial radius for the Milky Way was 428 kpc or so. Much larger than the radius of the milky way, which is around 15 kpc. Do I need the physical radius of the milky way in order to model it as an NFW halo?

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
S.P.P said:
Hi all,
I have currently been reading up on dark matter halos as I’m considering doing a small project on them for my degree. I plan to use an (approximated) analytical equation for the density at r of an isothermal halo in terms of the halos central density and core radius.
density(r) = density(0) * (a^2)/(a^2+r^2)
where a = core radius.
Should that not be
[tex]\rho(r) = \frac{\rho_0 a^3}{(a + r)^2r}[/tex] ?

Garth

possibly

Interesting you should mention that. I have seen several different equations for this isothermal model. The equation I quoted was taken from arXiv:astro-ph/0403064 v1 2 Mar 2004 (page 33).

S.P.P said:
Interesting you should mention that. I have seen several different equations for this isothermal model. The equation I quoted was taken from arXiv:astro-ph/0403064 v1 2 Mar 2004 (page 33).
I took mine from Disk formation in an NFW halo
Yours looks simpler.

Garth

think I understand

Right, a bit more reading into it and I think I understand now. The virial radius, is the physical radius of the halo, which for the Milky Way is around 350 kpc or so, and the radius of the visible disc is something like 15kpc.

As for obtaining a core radius for that isothermal model, the differential equation describing an isothermal model must be solved numerically, and then the approximation is fitted to the actual solution. For a given mass within a given volume, one can then obtain the central density

These are all fitting formulae (not physically motivated, for the most part), so their form can vary from paper to paper. However, there are some standards. The singular isothermal sphere should always take the simple form:

[tex]\rho\propto\frac{1}{r^2}[/tex]

where there will be some set of normalizing constants in the above equation. Sometimes it's expressed in terms of the associated rotation velocity and other times just some scaled density, but as long as they're both 1/r2, it's really the same thing.

When one moves to the non-singular isothermal spheres (meaning the density doesn't approach infinity as r -> 0), the standards are less straightforward. The available formulae can be characterized (and are chosen) based on their limiting behavior. The formula the OP gives approaches the singular isothermal sphere at large radii and a constant density at small radii. This is a decent fit to some galaxies, but a poor fit to most clusters (for which similar formulae are often used). Another example of a non-singular isothermal sphere is:

[tex]\rho = \frac{Me^{-r/r_t}}{2\pi^{3/2}\gamma r_t (r^2 + r_c^2)}[/tex]

There are several normalizing constants and scale radii, but the important thing is that it has roughly constant density at the center, approaches 1/r2 at moderate radii, and has an exponential truncation at the outskirts.

The point behind the isothermal sphere is that it produces flat rotation curves at moderate radii. It's meant to fit to the observational data that suggest a roughly flat rotation curve for spiral galaxies. We can only measure rotation curves out to moderate distance from the galaxy's center (the galaxy becomes too dim at the outskirts), so we don't know how far out the 1/r2 dependence goes. It must change form at some point because the total integrated mass diverges for a halo that is 1/r2 all the way to infinity. The curve the OP gives ignores this problem, presumably because the outer profile doesn't matter for the purposes of the reference paper.

The profile Garth gives is quite different, both qualitatively and quantitatively. It is the standard NFW profile. This profile was made to fit simulations rather than observations, so if its parameters can be chosen to successfully fit real galaxy data, then it means theory matches observation. Again, look at the limiting behavior. At large radii, it approaches a 1/r3 profile, while at small radii it goes as 1/r. At first glance, it would seem to never have a 1/r2 dependence and thus be inconsistent with observations of a flat rotation curve. However, there must be some transition zone between the two dependences, so it turns out that at the radii to which we can measure rotation curves, the NFW profile is approximately 1/r2.

There has been a lot of research on how well the NFW profile fits real data and the general consensus seems to be that it's better than isothermal models, but not dramatically so. The biggest discrepancy is near the centers of the halos, where the simulations appear to have a sharper cusp than the data. This was already discussed in another thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=104282"

As simulation and observations improve, we'll be able to get a better handle on just how well they match. The fits do seem to be getting better with time, but I would still be cautious to say anything definitive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, thank you ST, the OP formula

[tex]\rho(r) = \frac{\rho_0 a^2}{(a^2 + r^2)}[/tex]

is the standard density function of the required dark matter halo to fit the rotation curve of a spiral such as the MIlky Way. It delivers a rigid-body rotaiton for small r and a flat rotation curve for large r. Of course it also has to be truncated at some large r.

My formula quoted

[tex]\rho(r) = \frac{\rho_0 a^3}{(a + r)^2r}[/tex]

is the NFW formula that gives a better fit to the DM in galaxy clusters. Which to use depends on at how far out you want to study the halo.

I was a little confused because S.P.P. mentioned NFW, I thought the focus was to be beyond just the Milky Way.

Garth

Last edited:
If you apply the rules of fluid dynamics, a twisting moment is introduced. This enormously complicates the calculations. About this time, a triplet of bench players from the turbulence family takes over playing the outfield.

Last edited:

1. What is dark matter and why is it important to study?

Dark matter is a type of matter that does not emit or absorb light, making it invisible to telescopes. It is estimated to make up about 85% of the total matter in the universe. Studying dark matter is important because it plays a crucial role in the formation and evolution of galaxies, and understanding its properties can help us better understand the structure and dynamics of the universe.

2. What is the difference between isothermal and NFW profiles for dark matter halos?

Isothermal and NFW (Navarro-Frenk-White) profiles are two different models used to describe the density distribution of dark matter halos. The isothermal profile assumes a constant density throughout the halo, while the NFW profile takes into account the effects of gravity and predicts a gradual decrease in density towards the outer edges of the halo.

3. Which profile is more commonly observed in real dark matter halos?

The NFW profile is generally considered to be a better fit for real dark matter halos. This is based on observations of the rotation curves of galaxies, which show a gradual decrease in velocity with increasing distance from the center. Additionally, numerical simulations of galaxy formation also tend to produce dark matter halos that closely resemble the NFW profile.

4. What are some potential implications of using the wrong profile for analyzing dark matter halos?

Using the wrong profile can lead to incorrect estimations of the mass and density distribution of dark matter halos. This can affect our understanding of the formation and evolution of galaxies, as well as the overall structure and dynamics of the universe. It can also impact the accuracy of predictions for future observations and experiments.

5. How can we determine which profile is the best fit for a given dark matter halo?

This is a topic of ongoing research and there is no definitive answer yet. However, comparisons between observations and simulations, as well as statistical analyses, can help determine which profile is a better fit for a particular dark matter halo. Additionally, studying the properties of dark matter halos in different environments can provide valuable insights into which profile is most commonly observed in nature.