One must log-in before they can view a multiple-page thread?

• Thread starter VietDao29
  • Start date
In summary, visitors can read/link the first page of discussions, but they cannot follow the threads beyond the first page. If someone has previously logged in, they can ensure their name does not appear by quitting their browser.
VietDao29
Homework Helper
I suddenly came across this issue. I know for sure that I used to be able to click on a multiple-page thread and view it. But I can't now. I can view the first page of the thread, but not the second or the third, and so on...
It's not very convenient, IMHO, as I usually wandering through all the boards on the forums before signing-in.
Is it a new feature, or is the forums misbehaving?
And does anyone experience the same thing?
Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
I, too, am experiencing the same thing, and I, too, prefer sometimes to lurk, i.e., not to have to log in.

Regards,
George

Thanks for the heads up!

We've been having some glitches since the server move last week. Greg or chroot will look into it as soon as they're able.

It's actually something I've been playing with as a way to increase registrations and logins. Booo lurking :wink:

But you may shoot yourself in the foot as it is no longer possible to link others to discussions here, which also may have tempted them to register.

Just an observation.

Andre said:
But you may shoot yourself in the foot as it is no longer possible to link others to discussions here, which also may have tempted them to register.

Just an observation.

Visitors can read/link the first page of discussions, I figure that would wet their apetite enough.

Suppose someone has previously logged in. How do they ensure without having to quit their browser that their name doesn't appear during subsequent visits? I see no log out button and I think in the interests of privacy that you should at the very least provide one.

Now we just need some eye-catching titles for threads! :cool:

josh1 said:
Suppose someone has previously logged in. How do they ensure without having to quit their browser that their name doesn't appear during subsequent visits? I see no log out button and I think in the interests of privacy that you should at the very least provide one.

There is a log out link at the top right and bottom right of the site.

I like this new feature...:smile:

Emieno said:
I like this new feature...:smile:
Log Out has always been there, if that's the feature you are referring to.

1. What is the purpose of having a log-in before viewing a multiple-page thread?

The purpose of having a log-in before viewing a multiple-page thread is to ensure that only authorized users have access to the thread. This can help protect sensitive information and maintain the integrity of the discussion.

2. Do I need to create an account to log-in and view the thread?

Yes, in most cases, you will need to create an account in order to log-in and view the thread. This will allow the website to verify your identity and grant you access to the thread.

3. Can I view a multiple-page thread without logging in?

No, in most cases, you will need to log-in in order to view a multiple-page thread. This is to ensure that only authorized users have access to the thread.

4. How do I create an account to log-in and view the thread?

You can usually create an account by clicking on a "sign-up" or "register" button on the website. You will then be asked to provide some basic information and create a username and password to use for logging in.

5. Can I still view the thread if I forgot my log-in information?

If you have forgotten your log-in information, you may be able to reset your password or retrieve your username through a "forgot password" or "forgot username" link on the website. If not, you may need to contact the website's support team for further assistance.