Mass of person on top of floating icecube.

In summary, the conversation discusses the physics assignment question about standing on an ice cube in a freshwater river that is moving towards the sea. The question asks for the mass of the person standing on the ice cube and whether their shoes will get wet. The conversation also mentions the density of ice, river water, and seawater. The conversation concludes with the suggestion to consider the forces acting on the ice cube and realizing that the cube is in equilibrium. The conversation also mentions that the density of seawater is different from that of freshwater.
m0286
Hello!
I am working onmy physics assignment. and i am having trouble with one question...
it says:
If you are standing atop of a large ice cube of pure ice in a freshwater river that is rapidly moving out to see. In the river the ice cube is just submerged, Given that each side of the cube is 1m, what is your mass? As you move into sea will your shoes get wet? What distance do you rise or fall above the surface of the seawater? In either case, estimate how much more or less mass is requred so that the ice cube is just submerged and your shoes are preserved. (Neglect any melting)
What I got:
the volume of the ice v=1*1*1=1m^3
the density of ice is D=920kg/m^3
the density of river is 970kg/m^3
density of seawater = 1030kg/m^3

i believe i have found the mass of the ice cube =
density of ice*volume of ice= 920kg...
But whut do i need to do to find the mass of me on the ice?

If you can't tell me that, can you atleast tell me if its possible or is there some information missing from the question? I am soo confused!
Once I can figure out the mass I am sure I can figure out the rest! THANKS!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your mass won't change at all.

m0286 said:
i believe i have found the mass of the ice cube =
density of ice*volume of ice= 920kg...
But whut do i need to do to find the mass of me on the ice?
Consider the forces acting on the ice cube. What are they? (Hint: I count three forces acting on the ice.)

Once you've identified the forces, realize that the cube is in equilibrium.

And that the density of sea water is not the same as that of freshwater.

-Dan

1. What is the mass of a person on top of a floating ice cube?

The mass of a person on top of a floating ice cube would depend on the weight of the person and the size and density of the ice cube. It is not possible to determine an exact answer without more specific information.

2. Does the mass of the person affect the buoyancy of the ice cube?

Yes, the mass of the person does affect the buoyancy of the ice cube. The more mass the person has, the more weight they will put on the ice cube, causing it to sink deeper into the water.

3. Can the mass of the person cause the ice cube to sink?

Yes, if the mass of the person is greater than the buoyant force of the ice cube, it can cause the ice cube to sink. This is why larger or heavier people may have a harder time floating on smaller ice cubes.

4. How does the temperature of the water affect the mass of the person on the ice cube?

The temperature of the water does not directly affect the mass of the person on the ice cube. However, it can indirectly affect it by changing the density of the water, which can affect the buoyancy and stability of the ice cube.

5. Is there a limit to how much mass a person can have on top of a floating ice cube?

Yes, there is a limit to how much mass a person can have on top of a floating ice cube before it sinks. This limit depends on the size and density of the ice cube, and the density of the water it is floating in.