Changing X-Polarized Light to Y-Polarization with Lossless Polarizers

• Thread starter UrbanXrisis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary, to change x-polarized light to y-polarized light without losing intensity, one can use a polarizer at 45 degrees to change the light's polarization by 45 degrees, followed by a polarizer at 90 degrees to further change the polarization by another 45 degrees. This results in y-polarized light with an intensity of one fourth of the original intensity.
UrbanXrisis
change x-polarized light to y-polarized light by suing lossless polarizers

Using [tex]I_{pol}=Icos^2 \theta[/tex] I would first use a polarizer with theta=45 to change x polarized light 45 degrees without losing intenisity. Then I wil using a polarizer with theta=135 to change the polarized light y-polarization without losing intensity. is this the correct way of approching this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
The idea is good (I think, but I don't know how you define your angles theta). If the polarization direction of the polarizer is at some nonzero angle wrt the polarization direction of the light you always have some loss of intensity, since the E-field component of the light-wave perpendicular to the polarization direction of the polarizer is blocked out.

say the light is polarized vertically like this:

| | | | | |

then the polarizers that are like this:

\ \ \ \ \

putting the two together, the angle is between the two like this:

\|

would what I did still be corrent according to this definition of theta?

I think what you did is correct, but I would have called the two polarizer angles 45 degrees and 90 degrees. The x-polarization direction is at zero degrees, and the final y-polarization direction is at 90 degrees.

Yes, the setup will give you linearly polarized light in the y-direction. But the intensity is not [itex]I_0\cos(\theta)[/itex].
The light intensity drops twice. Once after the first polarizer and again after the second.

would a 45 degree (wrt x-axis) polarizer and then a 90 degree (wrt x-axis) polarizer work? since, it it would be...

I'=I cos(45)^2

which would lead to I'/2 (this is polarized 45 degree to x axis)

and then applying the 90 degree (wrt the x axis) polarizer, which makes a 45 degree angle to the light:

I''=I/2 cos(45)^2
I''=I/4, which is 90 degrees wrt to the x, which makes it y polarized

does this work?

Yes, that would work as you describe.

1. What is X-polarized light and Y-polarized light?

X-polarized light and Y-polarized light refer to the orientation of the electric field of light waves. X-polarized light has its electric field oscillating in the horizontal direction, while Y-polarized light has its electric field oscillating in the vertical direction.

2. Why would someone want to change X-polarized light to Y-polarized light?

There are various reasons why someone may want to change X-polarized light to Y-polarized light. One common reason is for optical communication systems, where the polarization of light may need to be changed to match the orientation of receiving antennas or devices. This can improve the efficiency and accuracy of data transmission.

3. What are lossless polarizers and how do they work?

Lossless polarizers are devices that can change the polarization of light without causing any loss of energy. They work by selectively filtering out light waves with a certain polarization while allowing light waves with the desired polarization to pass through. This can be achieved through the use of special materials that manipulate the electric field of light.

4. How do you physically change X-polarized light to Y-polarized light with lossless polarizers?

To physically change X-polarized light to Y-polarized light with lossless polarizers, the light must first pass through an X-polarizer, which will filter out all other polarizations except for X-polarized light. The remaining X-polarized light then passes through a waveplate, which acts as a quarter-wave plate and converts the X-polarization to Y-polarization. Finally, the Y-polarized light passes through a Y-polarizer, which filters out all other polarizations except for Y-polarized light.

5. Are there any limitations to using lossless polarizers to change the polarization of light?

While lossless polarizers are highly efficient in changing the polarization of light, they do have some limitations. One limitation is that they are typically only effective within a specific wavelength range, so they may not work for all types of light. Additionally, they may not be able to fully eliminate all unwanted polarizations, which can result in some loss of signal.