Differentiating Bessel Functions

In summary, the conversation discusses the differentiation of Bessel functions of the second kind and provides various references and identities for these functions, including their relationship with Bessel functions of the first kind. It is suggested to check online resources and books for further information. One important identity is also mentioned: J_{-n}(x)=(-1)^nJ_n(x).
physkid
Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone knew how to differentiate Bessel functions of the second kind? I've looked all over the net and in books and no literature seems to address this problem. I don't know if its just my poor search techniques but any assistance would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try here -

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/BesselFunctionoftheSecondKind.html

if one can differentiate Bessel's function of first kind, then one can differentiate Bessel's function of first kind.

See bottom of -
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/BesselFunctionoftheFirstKind.html

or try to find there references

Abramowitz, M. and Stegun, I. A. (Eds.). "Bessel Functions and ." §9.1 in Handbook of Mathematical Functions with Formulas, Graphs, and Mathematical Tables, 9th printing. New York: Dover, pp. 358-364, 1972.

Arfken, G. "Neumann Functions, Bessel Functions of the Second Kind, ." §11.3 in Mathematical Methods for Physicists, 3rd ed. Orlando, FL: Academic Press, pp. 596-604, 1985.

Morse, P. M. and Feshbach, H. Methods of Theoretical Physics, Part I. New York: McGraw-Hill, pp. 625-627, 1953.

Otherwise, I may have a reference elsewhere that might have exactly what you need.

I knew there'd be some web references to make me look silly. Thank you very much for your help.

Some identities for Bessel's functions in terms of Jn(z), but also valid for Yn(z)

(2n/z) Jn(z) = Jn-1(z) + Jn+1(z),

2 d[Jn(z)]/dz = Jn-1(z) - Jn+1(z),

d J0(z) / dz = - J1(z)

Jn(z) Yn-1(z) - Jn-1(z) Yn(z) = 2/(pi z)

Jn(z) d Yn(z) / dz - d Jn(z) /dz Yn(z) = 2/(pi z)

I'd add:

[tex]J_{-n}(x)=(-1)^nJ_n(x)[/tex]

Pretty important if you want to have the differentiated form in terms of higher order functions.

1. What are Bessel functions and how are they different from other special functions?

Bessel functions are a type of special functions that arise in many areas of physics and engineering, particularly in problems involving wave propagation and oscillations. They are named after the mathematician Friedrich Bessel, who first studied them. Unlike other special functions, Bessel functions are defined in terms of an infinite series rather than an integral, making them easier to compute and manipulate.

2. How are Bessel functions differentiated?

Bessel functions can be differentiated using various methods, such as the power series expansion, the integral representation, or the recurrence relation. However, the most commonly used method is the differentiation formula derived by the mathematician Carl Friederich Gauss, which involves the use of the generating function of Bessel functions.

3. What are the applications of differentiating Bessel functions?

Bessel functions and their derivatives have a wide range of applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are commonly used to model the behavior of waves in various physical systems, such as acoustic waves, electromagnetic waves, and even gravitational waves. They also play a crucial role in solving differential equations that arise in many scientific and engineering problems.

4. Can Bessel functions be differentiated multiple times?

Yes, Bessel functions can be differentiated multiple times, just like any other mathematical function. The resulting derivatives are also Bessel functions, but with different order and argument. This property is particularly useful in solving differential equations involving Bessel functions, as it allows for the reduction of the original equation to a simpler form.

5. Are there any special properties of the derivatives of Bessel functions?

Yes, the derivatives of Bessel functions have several special properties that make them useful in various applications. One such property is the orthogonality of Bessel functions and their derivatives, which is crucial in solving boundary value problems. The derivatives also have a specific recurrence relation, which can be used to efficiently compute higher-order derivatives without having to differentiate the original function repeatedly.