Climate Classification of the Southern US

In summary, there is confusion about the definition of subtropical climate, with different criteria such as average temperature, location, and annual temperature being used. While some argue that the current classification is appropriate for agricultural purposes, others suggest that lumping these regions into the temperate zone may make more sense due to the presence of freezing temperatures in these areas.

Question is in post

• No, keep it classified as humid subtropical.

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • No, but classify it as something else (neither humid subtropical or temperate)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, classify it as temperate.

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
dand5
I have been wondering about climate classifications. Based on average annual temperature and precip, a large chunk of the southeast/southcentral United States is lumped into the Humid Subtropical climate zone. But that seems misleading to people with agriculture or gardening interests, since subtropical officially implies that temperatures do not regularly fall below freezing. My experience with these southern zones (especially TN, AR, NC but as far south as panhandle of florida) is that it is USUALLY mild to hot, but it does get cold enough every year (i.e. below freezing) for long enough periods as to prevent subtropical plant species from becoming established in those zones. This is esp true in TN, OK, AR where normal temps actually fall below freezing during winter, but the hot as hell summer keeps the annual mean temp above the subtropical cutoff. This also applies to pipe regulations, "bridge may freeze signs", etc ...

So wouldn't it make more sense just to lump these regions into the temperate zone? Afterall, the vegetation is for the most part temperature deciduous in these areas.

Thanks

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
The definition of subtropical as far as I can find says that the average teperature of the coldest month has to be above 0c. If this is the case I see no reason to change the classification.

I have seen several different definitions, which means there is probably no real consensus. But based on the criteria you mentioned, places like Paris, London, Seattle would all have subtropical climates. I've also heard that the location has to lie between 20 and 40 N/S and/or that it has to have an annual temp above 60F.

Not that this is of any real importance, but it seems to me that the purpose of calling a climate region "subtropical" is for agricultural reasons and agriculture assumes that subtropics generally remain above freezing, which currently classified subtropical climates do not. On the other hand, most mediterranean climates fit this requirement, though their annual averages are usually below 60F

1. What is the primary determinant of climate classification in the Southern US?

The primary determinant of climate classification in the Southern US is temperature. This region is characterized by warm to hot temperatures throughout the year, with relatively mild winters and long, hot summers.

2. How does precipitation factor into climate classification in the Southern US?

Precipitation is also an important factor in climate classification in the Southern US. This region generally experiences high levels of precipitation, with some areas receiving more than 60 inches of rain annually. This precipitation is often in the form of thunderstorms and tropical storms, especially during the summer months.

3. What types of climate are typically found in the Southern US?

The Southern US is known for having a humid subtropical climate, but there are also areas that experience a tropical rainforest climate, a semi-arid climate, and a Mediterranean climate. The diversity of climates in this region is largely due to variations in elevation and proximity to bodies of water.

4. How has climate change affected the Southern US?

Climate change has had a significant impact on the Southern US, leading to more extreme weather events such as hurricanes, droughts, and heatwaves. It has also caused shifts in temperature and precipitation patterns, which can have significant effects on agriculture and ecosystems in the region.

5. Are there any notable differences in climate between the different states in the Southern US?

Yes, there are notable differences in climate between the different states in the Southern US. For example, Florida and Louisiana have a more tropical climate, while states like Texas and Oklahoma experience more frequent droughts. Additionally, the Appalachian Mountains in the eastern part of the region experience cooler temperatures and more snowfall than other areas.