Integral Domains: Products of Irreducibles

In summary, an integral domain is a type of ring in abstract algebra that satisfies certain properties and does not contain any zero divisors. In an integral domain, a product of irreducibles is a unique way of expressing any nonzero element as a product of smaller irreducible elements. This is similar to a prime factorization, but the irreducible elements may not necessarily be prime numbers. Understanding products of irreducibles in an integral domain is important for various mathematical calculations and understanding the structure of integral domains. A product of irreducibles in an integral domain is always unique and cannot be written in different ways.
calvino
I'm suppose to find an integral domain where NOT every element (not a unit) is expressible as a finite product of irreducibles.

I'm not sure where to begin, actually. So perhaps someone can give me a tip, and we can start working our way through this. Thanks..

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you anyway, all. Since I have other algebra problems that I need help on, I'm going to include this problem in another thread, joining all the problems.

closed...see "ALGEBRA PROBLEMS"

1. What is an integral domain?

An integral domain is a type of ring in abstract algebra that satisfies the commutative, associative, and distributive properties. It also has a multiplicative identity and does not contain any zero divisors, meaning that the product of two nonzero elements is never equal to zero.

2. What is a product of irreducibles in an integral domain?

In an integral domain, a product of irreducibles is a unique way of expressing any nonzero element as a product of irreducible elements. Irreducible elements are those that cannot be further factored into smaller nonzero elements within the integral domain.

3. How is a product of irreducibles different from a prime factorization?

A product of irreducibles is similar to a prime factorization in that it expresses a nonzero element as a product of smaller elements. However, in an integral domain, the irreducible elements may not necessarily be prime numbers, as they do not necessarily have to be irreducible in the larger field of real numbers.

4. Why is it important to understand products of irreducibles in integral domains?

Understanding products of irreducibles in an integral domain is important because it allows us to express any nonzero element in a unique way, which can be useful in various mathematical calculations and proofs. It also helps us understand the structure and properties of integral domains.

5. Can a product of irreducibles be written in different ways?

No, a product of irreducibles in an integral domain is unique. This means that any nonzero element can only be expressed as a product of irreducible elements in one particular way. If two different factorizations are possible, it would contradict the definition of an integral domain.