Calculating Word Lengths in Fiction & Non-Fiction Books

In summary, it seems as though word-length may differ between fiction and non-fiction books, but the amount of variance is small.
Natasha1
Take two books, of different authors, one fiction, one non-fiction. Choose a reasonable sample size of words from each (say 100 000 words for the fiction one and 80 000 words for the non-fiction one) and find the mean, median, modal word-length in each and standard deviation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Pretty easy. Just write a C program, or even just a Tcl script.

berkeman said:
Pretty easy. Just write a C program, or even just a Tcl script.

Don't know anything about programing I'm affraid.

Well how in the world are you supposed to calculate those stats? By hand?!

Maybe what they are asking is how few words can you use as your sample size in order to get those stats to within some amount of error?

I guess you could do it in Excel if you had to... mighty big spreadsheet, though.

berkeman said:
Well how in the world are you supposed to calculate those stats? By hand?!

Maybe what they are asking is how few words can you use as your sample size in order to get those stats to within some amount of error?

I guess you could do it in Excel if you had to... mighty big spreadsheet, though.

ok this his how the whole question is asked:

Any help would be much much appreciated in advance :-)

Would you expect word-length in general to differ in fiction and non-fiction books?

Take two books, of different authors, one fiction, one non-fiction. Choose a reasonable sample size of words from each, and find the mean, median, modal word-length in each and standard deviation. Make it clear how you have done the various calculations without presenting detailed arithmetic.

In the light of the figures found, comment on the initial question (no formal inferential work needed) just an informed view from the figures found.

Well, it obviously depends a lot on the books (some non-fiction books will by their nature use bigger words). But now that the multiple 100,000 sample size has been reduced, the task becomes much more do-able by hand.

Do you know how to calculate those statistics? Do you have a statistics calculator? If not, do you know how to use these functions in Excel? If not, do you have access to Excel? (just use the Help feature to show you how to enter the functions)

BTW, to get a good statistical sample without having to enter too many word sizes into your Excel spreadsheet, I'd use the close-the-eyes, flip-open-randomly, and poka-word technique for chosing about 40-50 words randomly from each book.

Well, flip it open randomly and instead of poking a word choose say the fifth word. If you poke a word you would be biased towards selecting longer words.

0rthodontist said:
Well, flip it open randomly and instead of poking a word choose say the fifth word. If you poke a word you would be biased towards selecting longer words.

I don't really get it. What am I suppose to do exactly? Can someone just start the problem for me to set me on the right direction :-)

1. How do you calculate the word length of a book?

To calculate the word length of a book, you can use a word processing software such as Microsoft Word. Simply open the document and select the entire text. Then, go to the "Review" tab and click on "Word Count." This will provide you with the total number of words in the book.

2. What is the purpose of calculating word length in fiction and non-fiction books?

The purpose of calculating word length in fiction and non-fiction books is to understand the length and complexity of the text. This information can be useful for publishers, editors, and readers in determining the target audience and marketing strategies for the book.

3. Is there a standard word length for fiction and non-fiction books?

There is no standard word length for fiction and non-fiction books as it can vary greatly depending on the genre, target audience, and author's writing style. However, there are general guidelines for different types of books. For example, a typical novel can range from 80,000 to 100,000 words.

4. How does the word length of a book affect its readability?

The word length of a book can affect its readability as it can impact the pacing and flow of the story. A longer word length may be more challenging for readers to follow, while a shorter word length may result in a rushed or incomplete plot. However, the quality of writing and storytelling is ultimately more important than the word length.

5. Can word length be used to compare the complexity of different books?

While word length can provide some insight into the complexity of a book, it should not be the sole factor in comparison. Other elements such as sentence structure, vocabulary, and plot development also contribute to the complexity of a book. Additionally, different genres and writing styles may have varying word lengths for books of similar complexity.