Electric work and potential difference

In summary, the work needed to move a 1.5uC test charge from point B to point D is qE(dx) where q is the charge on each side and dx is the distance moved.
jg95ae
I need a little help with this question:

Calculate the work needed to move a 1.5uC test charge from point B to point D. (I have attached the diagram)

The first part of the question required me to find the electric field at the points A, B, C and D. Which I think I figured out ok.
I found Eb = 7.66 x 10^6 and Ed = 0 N/C

So I think the equation that I need to use is:

W = Fd
W = qE(dx)

whereq = 1.5 x 10^-6C and dx = 0.25m

I'm not sure how to figure out E in this case?

Attachments

• rectangle.doc
    30 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You could certainly use that approach (calculating the work directly), but since the field is not constant you would have to use calculus to integrate E(dx) over the displacement.

Much easier is to consider the change in electric potential energy as the charge is moved.

If I were to use the change in electric potential energy I would use:

change in PE = q x dV so PE = q(Vb-Vd) ?

jg95ae said:
If I were to use the change in electric potential energy I would use:

change in PE = q x dV so PE = q(Vb-Vd) ?

Yes, this is correct, although as per convention, to find work done I would use PE = q(Vd-Vb)

Just one more thing, my answer seems a little large.

To calculate Vd I add Vd1 + Vd2, and the same for Vb

which works out to be 2kQ/r where Q is the charges on either side? and r is the distance from each charge to point D?

Yes, the general form of the potential at D or B will be V = 2kQ/r, where r is the distance from D or B to one of the charges.

When I was putting all the numbers in I realized that there is no consideration for the distance between point B and D. Is the work needed to move the charge independent of the distance moved?

Any distance dependence is already included in the potential, so all you have to worry about is the potential at each point.

1. What is electric work?

Electric work is the amount of energy transferred when a charged object is moved through an electric field. It is measured in joules (J) and is equal to the product of the electric force and the distance moved.

2. How is electric work related to potential difference?

Electric work is directly related to potential difference, also known as voltage. The greater the potential difference, the more work is required to move the charged object through the electric field. This relationship is defined by the equation W = qV, where W is the electric work, q is the charge, and V is the potential difference.

3. What is potential difference?

Potential difference is the measure of the difference in electric potential between two points in an electric field. It is also known as voltage and is measured in volts (V). It represents the amount of work required to move a unit of charge between the two points.

4. How is potential difference different from electric potential?

Electric potential, also known as voltage potential, is the electric potential energy per unit of charge at a specific point in an electric field. It is measured in volts (V) and is a scalar quantity. Potential difference, on the other hand, is the difference in electric potential between two points and is measured in volts (V) as well but is a vector quantity.

5. What is the unit for electric work and potential difference?

The unit for electric work and potential difference is the volt (V). One volt is equal to one joule (J) of electric work per unit of charge (coulomb, C). It can also be expressed as kg⋅m^2⋅s^-2⋅A^-1, where kg is the unit for mass, m is the unit for length, s is the unit for time, and A is the unit for electric current.