What can you expect in the Food Thread on PF?

In summary, a food lover and connoisseur named PF shared their favourite recipes, their kind of cuisine, and favourite dishes. They also shared their experiences dining out and cooking at home. Lastly, they mentioned a food thread that is popular on the website, as well as a recipe that they like.
  • #2,626
turbo-1 said:
That's were all the wheels of cheese

:!) I <3 Cheese! When I was a child I used to wish I could disappear in a wheel of cheese like Jerry:tongue2:

Have you ever tried sauerkraut and corned beef?

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,627
HeLiXe said:
:!) I <3 Cheese! When I was a child I used to wish I could disappear in a wheel of cheese like Jerry:tongue2:

Have you ever tried sauerkraut and corned beef?
I like good sauerkraut with nearly every processed meat. Corned beef, salami, Italian sausages, you name it.

When I was a kid, I used to love getting slices of cheese off the big wheels in the meat section. They used to call the extra-sharp Vermont cheddar "rat cheese", and that was my favorite. When my father told me to pick up a pound of that while he was shopping (my mother didn't drive) I knew we were going to have home-made macaroni and cheese, topped with crumbled Saltines. Pair that up with fried natural-casing hot dogs and yellow mustard, and you've got one of my favorite cold-weather comfort foods.

• #2,628
I <3 baked Macaroni and Cheese! I like it with fish and tartar sauce tho. But not the sweet tartar sauce...the kind that's more acidic.

• #2,629
The Evo Child and her boyfriend wanted shrimp and mussels cooked with lemon garlic butter. So I start it and they take off to go shopping for new sheets. :bugeye:

They've been gone for an hour.

• #2,630
Evo said:
They've been gone for an hour.
Are they back yet? :uhh:
Hopefully they picked up a nice vin blanc to go with.

• #2,631
Ouabache said:
Are they back yet? :uhh:
Hopefully they picked up a nice vin blanc to go with.
They're still auditioning bedding. It could take a while... :wink:

• #2,632
Separate many egg whites from yolk

Hi everybody!

I have a rather awkward question.
How do i separate the egg whites from yolk if a want to separate many eggs at the same time. The eggs comes in a platform body of 6x6 eggs (see attachment).

I have tought about it some either by making a small hole and sucking the egg white out or maybe the egg white and the yolk have some difference in weight so the yolk would drop to the bottom of a bowl?

Have a nice weekend everyone! :)

Attachments

• egg.jpg
    egg.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 328
  • #2,633

flux110 said:
Hi everybody!

How do i separate the egg whites from yolk if a want to separate many eggs at the same time. The eggs comes in a platform body of 6x6 eggs (see attachment).

I have tought about it some either by making a small hole and sucking the egg white out or maybe the egg white and the yolk have some difference in weight so the yolk would drop to the bottom of a bowl?

There are egg separators you can buy, basically little cups with a spout near the bottom that let's you pour out the egg white and leaves the yolk in the cup.

Here's a very easy, quick way to do it without a device. Just slightly separate the fingers of one hand, crack the egg into your hand over a bowl and let the egg white slip between your fingers into the bowl underneath, keeping the yolk in your hand/fingers, then slip the yolk into a separate bowl. Repeat until all are separated.

• #2,635
That's how my mom taught me. egg shell to egg shell The hand method is messier, but quicker for lots of eggs.

• #2,636
Evo said:
That's how my mom taught me. egg shell to egg shell The hand method is messier, but quicker for lots of eggs.
That's the method I learned from my mom.

HeLiXe said:
Are you vegan Astronuc?:biggrin: I was vegetarian for a a couple of years and vegan for a loooooooong time.
Omnivorous. Pretty much anything that is edible and somethings that are not. :biggrin:

• #2,637

flux110 said:
Hi everybody!

Find a grill slightly wider than six eggs, with spacing between the grill members about 1/4 inch. Slope the grill down to a tray, with another tray under the grill.

The tricky part is breaking the eggs...a bar with six pneumatic cups to lift six eggs at a time over to another bar with six pneumatic cups which affix to the bottom of the eggs.
As backward , bending pressure is applied to the eggs by the bars, another bar is used for striking and breaking the eggs near their center line, allowing the contents to flow out and over the grill. The contents will flow down the grill, with whites falling through the grill and the yolks sliding off the end into another tray. Near the lower end of the tray there should be one or more perpendicular, flat members to cut the white from the yolk.

There you gots it!..Simple!..(:

Of course a good fry cook could probably do it all much quicker, with an egg in each hand, dropping contents onto the separation grill.

Last edited:
  • #2,638
Yes this is the way to do it if you have a small amount of eggs!

But I am talking about a huge amount, 20000 or more and i don't have the time to crack then one by one...
The separation will be done by a machine but, how would the machine separate the eggs?

• #2,639
flux110 said:
Yes this is the way to do it if you have a small amount of eggs!

But I am talking about a huge amount, 20000 or more and i don't have the time to crack then one by one...
Then you need to go to a factory/industrial bakery that's set up for mass production. But that quantity at once is nonsensical, and we're not getting into a nonsensical scenario.

• #2,640

Quantum-lept said:
Find a grill slightly wider than six eggs, with spacing between the grill members about 1/4 inch. Slope the grill down to a tray, with another tray under the grill.

The tricky part is breaking the eggs...a bar with six pneumatic cups to lift six eggs at a time over to another bar with six pneumatic cups which affix to the bottom of the eggs.
As backward , bending pressure is applied to the eggs by the bars, another bar is used for striking and breaking the eggs near their center line, allowing the contents to flow out and over the grill. The contents will flow down the grill, with whites falling through the grill and the yolks sliding off the end into another tray. Near the lower end of the tray there should be one or more perpendicular, flat members to cut the white from the yolk.

There you gots it!..Simple!..(:

Of course a good fry cook could probably do it all much quicker, with an egg in each hand, dropping contents onto the separation grill.

Sounds like your on to something here! Thanks for the tips

• #2,641
Evo said:
Then you need to go to a factory/industrial bakery that's set up for mass production. But that quantity at once is nonsensical, and we're not getting into a nonsensical scenario.

The thing is that i will start my own production. Say the machine can make 6x6 eggs / min on a 8h day that will be about 17000 eggs..

Thought about making a hole in each of the 36 eggs and sucking out the white with the right pressure only the white should come out but then some of the white will be left in the bottom along with the yelk and the again maybe the yelk is randomly placed inside the egg, haven't really seen a egg on the inside until it´s cracked...

As you can se all this is just brainstorming : )

Found what I am looking for now, http://www.sanovoeng.com

Thank you all! :)

Last edited:
  • #2,642
Astronuc said:
Omnivorous. Pretty much anything that is edible and somethings that are not. :biggrin:

Oi! My thoughts :blushing::uhh: I'm sure you meant clay or something innocent like that...or paper maybe:tongue2:

• #2,643
I'm cooking a turkey, I want to go to sleep, but it's not done. It was frozen solid at 2pm, 14 pounds. I did a rapid thaw in water in a large water cooler so the whole thing was submerged. I've never thawed anything so fast. I kept it in it's watertight plastic wrapper so the water wouldn't leach anything out. It's a Butterball.

• #2,644
Supper last night was incredible. Our neighbors invited us to their place for supper. There was the four of us plus their adult daughter, plus her two daughters (5 and 7). Seven people total (two very small) and I couldn't believe the spread! 10 lobsters, about 10 pounds of steamers (New England clams), and a dozen ears of sweet corn, all cooked together clam-bake style. 2 pounds of fresh sea scallops broiled in garlic butter, and 3 thick rib-eye steaks, marinated and grilled. Plus there were hot rolls and a large foil pack of grilled mixed vegetables. They had said "don't bring anything" but we couldn't do that, so I made 2 pounds of my hot spicy marinated grilled shrimp to take down, and my wife made a large tossed salad with fresh cukes, lettuce, arugula, and scallions from our garden, along with shaved almonds, dried cranberries, and small tomatoes. She topped the salad with fresh raspberries from our patch. She also made up a batch of tabouli, and we brought another 2 quarts of fresh raspberries. As it happened, they were planning to make ice cream after supper in an ice cream ball. The ice cream was very nice, made with real vanilla beans, and the raspberries were a great topping for that. They'll be eating left-overs for days, including clam rolls, lobster rolls, steak. We brought home a big tupperware container of lobster meat for lobster rolls, too. There are no left-over spicy grilled shrimp. Those were the first things to disappear.

• #2,645
The neighbors that I mentioned in the previous post are at it again. My wife called them yesterday to ask Al if he thought the super-expensive pressure canners with the t-bolts and lugs were better than the Prestos and others, and he said "come on down here."

They still garden a lot but due to time pressures they don't process food like they used to, so they gave us:
A 22-qt Presto pressure canner with accessories, full of canning lids and rings.
A "tomato mill" that extracts juice from fresh tomatoes while removing seeds and skins.
An Italian crank-driven green-bean slicer (I always thought French-style sliced beans were French!)
An electric dehydrator with at least a dozen racks so that my wife can process and preserve our herbs.
There's more, but that's enough to recount for now. If anybody has considered the thread about moving to Maine, the house for sale is right between mine and his. There is so much produce, labor, and possessions flying back and forth up here, it's ridiculous! Not a penny of cash ever gets passed.

Tonight, I took them a jar of sweet bread-and-butter pickles, and we will provide more. We'll make hot pepper jellies this summer and spicy cranberry jams, and give them out for Christmas. Al started me out growing hard-neck garlics and since then, we have been the local "Johnny Garlic-Seeds" for dozens of people. We always grow way more than we need, and the excess goes to people who are willing to till and toil and grow their own.

This ain't your supermarket's food.

• #2,646
Today, the humidity and heat were a bit much for me. I spent time in the garden pruning inderterminant tomatoes and tying them to the fence. I needed to get inside to breathe, so some traditional roles were reversed (a bit).

I punched down, separated, and formed loaves of the Beer-Barrel rye bread the my wife mixed earlier, and took care of rising and baking those. I also sliced and chopped gallons of cukes, peppers, onions, and some garlic that would go into our bread-and-butter pickles (usually a solo effort for the last few years), and snapped and Frenched a couple of pecks of green beans so that they could be pressure-canned for the winter.

This was a busy day, but one that will feel pretty good next winter when we use the food. I have to feel pretty good about asking my wife about how long we needed to boil the pickle jars in the water-bath to seal them, and she said "You've been doing this for years, and I forgot!"

Last edited:
  • #2,647
Evo Child and her boyfriend wanted buffalo wings the other day. I've often said that I make the best buffalo wings in the world. Better than any restaurant.

Evo Child and her BF raved over them then and have every day since.

You guys need to taste my wings!

• #2,648
Pickling cucumbers for Evo:

Cucumbers - should be green, small, fresh and hard. Start with a small batch, like 2 kg, plus one whole dill, half a garlic, an inch of horseradish, several leaves of cherry. Dill and garlic are a must, you can experiment with other spices - for example mustard plant seeds.

Salt - you need a non iodized salt, in Poland it is sold as salt for pickles, could be kosher salt will do. Iodine stops bacterial growth so it slows down fermentation.

I have read commercially sold cucumbers are somehow sterilized when packed, so they don't have correct bacteria on the skin - that means fermentation won't start. I buy cucumbers for pickling at the local marketplace, they are just collected and brought there without any special treatment.

You will need a jar or several. 2 L will do. Look for a lid (or small plate, or something else) that you put INSIDE the jar and over the cucumbers, and something heavy (stone that will not split will do) that you can put on the lid to keep the cucumbers from going up. Wash or even scald stone/lid/jar.

Boil the water and dissolve salt - I am taking a heaped tablespoon per 1L of water, but the salt I am using is usually a little bit wet, so it is a large heap. Exact recipes call for 50 g per 1L. Let it cool down.

Wash the cucumbers but don't peel, nor remove ends.

Put them into a jar tighly, but not too tightly, together with dill and garlic cloves (peel the garlic), you may put them in layers or stick dill and garlic between. I take whole dill plant (just no underground part), break it and bend it, and put it into jar as a whole, but you may cut it into smaller pieces. Crushing the stem a little bit won't hurt. You want cucumbers to be tight as they will want to float, if they are tight enough they can't go up. Don't put too much - you want them covered and you don't want anything to be sticking out after you add the brine, and they will want to float. Once they start fermenting level of the brine will go up, so leave place for that, otherwise you will have a pool around the jar.

Pour brine over the cucumbers, put the small lid on them, put the stone on the lid. It is best if you have just a brine surface without anything sticking out. Close the jar with a normal lid - not necessarily too tightly.

Put in a not too bright place - neither warm nor cold, room temperature will do. Wait.

In a few days the brine will get cloudy - that's correct. If there is anything floating on the brine surface it can get covered with mold - it is better to avoid it, but it doesn't mean that the cucumbers are spoiled. Remove the mold. As long as they smell sour and don't stink they are OK. After 10 days/two weeks they should be already tasty, even if not fully fermented yet. They may be slimy to the touch - don't worry if they smell good. You may wash them before eating.

Note: this approach gives correct results almost always, but as with every natural fermentation, something can go wrong. A lot depends on cucumbers (they say if cucumbers were fertilized too much they won't get pickled), water (I have heard someone saying he always goes to his Mom to make pickled cucumbers, as when made from the water at his home they get soft) and place where they are prepared (my guess is that in some places air is full of germs). It is also told that women during menstruation should be not allowed to prepare cucumbers for pickling - no idea if there is any truth to it, but as in every folk lore, there might be some :biggrin:

• #2,649
Oooh, thanks Borek. I will read some tips on this type of pickling. I saw a show about this procwess which reminded me of you pickles. This is the time of year to make some.

• #2,650
Borek said:
In a few days the brine will get cloudy - that's correct. If there is anything floating on the brine surface it can get covered with mold - it is better to avoid it, but it doesn't mean that the cucumbers are spoiled. Remove the mold. As long as they smell sour and don't stink they are OK. After 10 days/two weeks they should be already tasty, even if not fully fermented yet. They may be slimy to the touch - don't worry if they smell good. You may wash them before eating.
I like eating pickled food, but I've always been afraid of making it myself.. the above description does not help :rolleyes:
Aren't you afraid of growing the wrong bacterium and causing food poisoning?

Last edited:
  • #2,651
Monique said:
I like eating pickled food, but I've always been afraid of making it myself.. the above description does not help :rolleyes:
Aren't you afraid of growing the wrong bacterium and causing food poisoning?

No.

I have heard it may happen, and I am not neglecting the possibility, but I know a lot of people doing it - and as far as I can tell it always works. And when it doesn't work, it is obvious from the smell.

• #2,652
I was wondering, do you use 'regular' cucumbers or gherkins for the pickling? Gherkin pickles are very common around here, but I've never seen cucumber ones.

• #2,653
Regular ones:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:PicklingCucumbers.jpg

Actually I would never choose those, they are way too big. When pickled they would have a hole inside, filled just with sour brine. Not that it tastes bad or something, but when you want to cut them they squirt :biggrin:

• #2,654
Those look like Gherkins to me? A cucumber would be slender, long and smooth with a particular cucumber taste, while a gherkin is small, fat and spiny with a neutral taste. I guess I just need to taste your pickle in order to make up my mind :biggrin: So you pickle them whole, or do you also cut them before the pickling? (I'm picking your brain here)

• #2,655
I make my pickles with Northern pickling cucumbers and pick them small. They are spiny, crisp, with a nice tart taste.

• #2,658
i like chocolates and ice creams

• #2,659
Borek said:
According to this page:
http://www.foodsubs.com/Squcuke.html

Is it just me, or does anyone else find this image on the page distracting?:
imgad?id=CLCf7cril8T8ahD6ARj6ATIITkeAv7Z2FhI.gif

Does this ad purposefully hint at pregnancy-pickle-cravings? (which I didn't have BTW... I had tomato cravings...)

Attachments

• imgad?id=CLCf7cril8T8ahD6ARj6ATIITkeAv7Z2FhI.gif
    imgad?id=CLCf7cril8T8ahD6ARj6ATIITkeAv7Z2FhI.gif
    20.9 KB · Views: 399
  • #2,660
Borek said:
I have never seen gherkins (or I didn't know I have seen them), but according to wiki picture they have different skin: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gherkins.jpg

According to this page:

http://www.foodsubs.com/Squcuke.html

we are looking for Kirby cucumber.

Pickled whole.
Borek, if you can order the seeds, try out Northern Pickling cucumbers. They are high-yielding, crispy and tart. They have small bumps on the skin topped with tiny black spines, which rub off easily. We pick them when they're small (maybe 4") and pickle them whole for our dill pickles. Northern Pickling is an organic variant bred in Maine and the plants are extremely cold-tolerant, which is great for late season harvesting. Johnny's Selected Seeds carries them, but maybe you can find a source locally. This is one of those plants that fruits more heavily if you pick the cukes regularly before they get big.