DC/index.htmlCan a Turbine Charge Batteries? Exploring the Possibilities

In summary: DC/DC.htmIn summary, the conversation discusses using a turbine to charge rechargeable batteries, and asks questions about the necessary components and resources for the project. The main focus is on the type of generator needed for the turbine and potential sources for information on turbines and electrical engineering fundamentals.
D_Dean
Hello,

I am currently working on a project which involves using a turbine to charge some rechargable batteries. I am currently in the beginning stages of the research and have some questions right off the bat.

1. Does anybody know what is needed to go from a turbine output to the batteries. Can I assume that the output from a turbine moving at a constant angular velocity will be a constant DC current? Is a voltage regulator required, or diode and capacitor combination in order to maintain a constant voltage/current for constant and/or nonconstant angular velocities? If anyone knows of a website that does a good job of teaching the fundamentals of turbines that would be great.

2. Does anybody know of any sites where I can get some good information about some of the turbines currently on the market? Would it be better to buy a prepackaged all in one deal, if so does anyone know where I might find one?

3. Somewhat unrelated, does anyone have any good electrical engineering fundamentals websites? I find that most sites simply give a schematic and don't really address the theory.

I appreciate any information.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Well, a turbine doesn't generate electricity. A turbine just rotates. Your question depends entirely on the kind of generator you choose to connect to your turbine.

- Warren

D, aside from the generator question, you didn't specify what kind of turbine you want. There are a lot of different ones... wind, water, gas, whatever. You could saw an old turbocharger in half to run from an engine exhaust, or mount a multi-vane unit horizontally under a waterfall, or just about anything else that you can think of.

1. How does a turbine charge a battery?

A turbine charges a battery by converting mechanical energy into electrical energy. As the turbine spins, it rotates a shaft connected to a generator, which produces electricity. This electricity is then stored in the battery for later use.

2. What type of turbine is commonly used to charge batteries?

The most commonly used turbine for charging batteries is a wind turbine. These turbines harness the power of wind to spin the blades and generate electricity. Other types of turbines, such as hydroelectric and steam turbines, can also be used to charge batteries.

3. Can a turbine charge a battery at any time?

Yes, a turbine can charge a battery at any time as long as it is connected to a power source. Wind turbines can generate electricity 24/7, while other types of turbines may require a constant source of water or fuel to operate.

4. How long does it take for a turbine to fully charge a battery?

The time it takes for a turbine to charge a battery depends on the size of the turbine and the capacity of the battery. Generally, it can take anywhere from a few hours to a full day for a turbine to fully charge a battery.

5. Can a turbine charge multiple batteries at once?

Yes, a turbine can charge multiple batteries at once as long as they are connected in parallel. This means that the batteries are all connected to the same power source and will charge simultaneously. However, it may take longer for the batteries to fully charge if they are connected in parallel.