Origin of PF: How It Started & Who Runs It

• Thread starter Elektrotechniker
  • Start date
In summary: PF was founded in 2001 by an individual as a high school project. It has since evolved into a popular online forum for advanced teen physicists to discuss various topics in physics, science, and math. The forum is run by a team of mentors, including Greg who started the forum and keeps it organized. It is not a hobby or a business, but rather an avocation. The forum has gone through several software and server changes, with the current version being vBulletin. Some of the original mentors and members include Greg, Phobos, Kerrie, Integral, Zero, Janus, Monique, Tom, Enigma, and Hurkyl. Over the years, the forum has grown and attracted new mentors and members, making it
Evo said:
Ivan vetoed it? :devil:

ME!? That's just an ugly conspiracy theory started by liberals.

Physics news on Phys.org
loop quantum gravity said:
owl or something like that was monique's user name, iirc.

hmm...first it was Niqque or Nikki or something like that...then TheOwl ...then Monique

a new name for each PF reincarnation?

it's amazing to see how much PF has grown

hey! Thanks for the "Retired Staff" medal!

Phobos said:
hey! Thanks for the "Retired Staff" medal!
That's actually Greg's new incentive plan to keep the rest of the mentors from quitting...we don't want to sound so old as "retired" makes it sound. :rofl: :biggrin:

Greg Bernhardt said:
It took me a few tries to find an adequate server and software. Each time we had to wipe the system. Ultimately it was for the best as the first year was not very productive.

Yeah Snitz wasn't that great, plus as I remember you didn't even change some defaulted files that err... publicly accessible... hehe. Anyway... I remember... :)

Attachments

• logo_snitz_forums_2000.gif
    logo_snitz_forums_2000.gif
    5.9 KB · Views: 434
benhartig said:
Yeah Snitz wasn't that great, plus as I remember you didn't even change some defaulted files that err... publicly accessible... hehe. Anyway... I remember... :)

Benny Boy! Long time no see! Still in portland are you? Are you lost trying to find the mac forums? :smile: :tongue2:

Greg Bernhardt said:
Benny Boy! Long time no see! Still in portland are you? Are you lost trying to find the mac forums? :smile: :tongue2:

Hey Greg, no not lost, but I am still in Portland. Anyway thought I would see what I've been missed, to be honest been to busy to post on Mac or any subject oriented forum for awhile. o:)

benhartig said:
Hey Greg, no not lost, but I am still in Portland. Anyway thought I would see what I've been missed, to be honest been to busy to post on Mac or any subject oriented forum for awhile. o:)
You were MacTech, right?

Evo said:
You were MacTech, right?

Yes but lazy to request my account back, plus that name died really when I stopped posting at Spymac. :redface:

benhartig said:
Yes but lazy to request my account back, plus that name died really when I stopped posting at Spymac. :redface:
We were talking about you just last week. Seems a few guys fell in love with your old avatar. :tongue2:

Evo said:
We were talking about you just last week. Seems a few guys fell in love with your old avatar. :tongue2:

Yeah just check out that thread... funny thing is that what prompted me to come back to PF was me searching my "mactech physicsforums" cause I wasn't sure if Greg had wiped the forums again :tongue2: and that thread was one of the Google results.