When should I start reviewing Calculus while reviewing Algebra?

In summary, the speaker is an amateur in mathematics and is currently reviewing Algebra in order to master it before moving on to Calculus. They are unsure about when they should begin reviewing Calculus and are considering only doing the most difficult exercises. The other person suggests that algebra may not be necessary for certain types of calculus. The speaker explains that they have been out of practice for a while and want to build a solid foundation before moving on to Calculus.
bloodasp
Hi,

I'm an amateur so please bear with my question. I'm reviewing Algebra, patienly answering every exercise in the my textbook. I enjoy answering the exercises but sometimes I get impatient especially when the questions look the same and are less of a challenge. I've read somewhere that in order to get better at Calculus, I'd have to master my Algebra, so that's exactly what I'm doing. What I'd like to know is at what point in (my) Algebra (review) can I begin reviewing Calculus. Is it a good idea or should I put of my Calculus review until I finish the whole Algebra textbook?

Thanks in advance!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Since you've actually already learned this stuff, have you considered only doing the most difficult exercices? Those are usually the last in the series as you've probably noticed.

depends on what algebra and what calculus you are learning...

if you are dealing with 1-D,2-D,3-D or unary/binary/ternary functions, or 1-dependent variable 2-dependent variable functions for root finding, function evaluation, integration,interpolation,differentiation,extrema..
you should have no real need for algebra.

If your doing higher dimensional systems(Linear systems of N equations, then linear algebra is needed, or if your studying vector calculus).

I never got good at algebra (which is arguable - how about somewhat proficient) until taking calculus. I found doing the calculus problems required me to consult my algebra book to be like, "oh, that's why I need to know that". To me, algebra just requires practice. Just do as many challenging problems as possible. The challenging problems will require you to know the really basic stuff in order to do them. Until I got decent at algebra I never really understood math... it all seemed like magic :smile:

quasar987 said:
Since you've actually already learned this stuff, have you considered only doing the most difficult exercices? Those are usually the last in the series as you've probably noticed.

Well yes I have. But I've been out of shape (mathematically speaking) since I got my undergrad in Physics more than 6 years ago because I took a programming job since. There's no concrete way for me to gauge my math skills unless I work on each and every exercise after every chapter in the text. So that's exactly what I'm doing. I'd like to build a solid foundation.

neurocomp2003 said:
depends on what algebra and what calculus you are learning...

if you are dealing with 1-D,2-D,3-D or unary/binary/ternary functions, or 1-dependent variable 2-dependent variable functions for root finding, function evaluation, integration,interpolation,differentiation,extrema..
you should have no real need for algebra.

If your doing higher dimensional systems(Linear systems of N equations, then linear algebra is needed, or if your studying vector calculus).

Precalculus Algebra and Differential and Integral Calculus. I'm starting with the basics following my course flow chart during college.

What is the purpose of an "Algebra and Calculus Review"?

The purpose of an "Algebra and Calculus Review" is to refresh and reinforce the fundamental concepts and skills in algebra and calculus that are essential for higher level math courses and scientific research. It also helps to identify any areas of weakness that may need further review before moving on to more advanced topics.

What topics are typically covered in an "Algebra and Calculus Review"?

Topics covered in an "Algebra and Calculus Review" may include algebraic equations, functions, graphing, exponents, logarithms, trigonometry, derivatives, integrals, and basic applications of calculus.

Who can benefit from an "Algebra and Calculus Review"?

An "Algebra and Calculus Review" can benefit anyone who needs a refresher on these mathematical concepts, whether it is a high school student preparing for college, a college student preparing for a math course, or a professional who needs to use these concepts in their work.

How can I prepare for an "Algebra and Calculus Review"?

To prepare for an "Algebra and Calculus Review," you can start by reviewing your notes and textbooks from previous math courses. You can also find online resources or practice problems to work on. It may also be helpful to brush up on your basic arithmetic skills.

What are the benefits of mastering algebra and calculus?

Mastering algebra and calculus can lead to a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts and their applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. It also helps to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are valuable in many professions.