Date with Scalia: Senators Question Propriety of Cheney Trip

• News
  • Thread starter The_Professional
  • Start date
In summary, two Democratic senators have questioned the propriety of Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia's hunting trip with Vice President Dick Cheney while Cheney has a case pending before the high court. The senators raised concerns about the appearance of impartiality and the potential threat to public confidence in the federal courts. Some commenters have suggested that if the two were friends in the past, it may not be a problem, but others argue that in their current positions, they should maintain a professional distance.
The_Professional
http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/01/22/scalia.cheney.trip/index.html

I think this is just inappropriate..

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Two leading Democratic senators asked Chief Justice William Rehnquist on Thursday about the propriety of a hunting trip Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia took with Vice President Dick Cheney while Cheney has a case pending before the high court.

"When a sitting judge, poised to hear a case involving a particular litigant, goes on a vacation with that litigant, reasonable people will question whether that judge can be a fair and impartial adjudicator of that man's case or his opponent's claims," the senators wrote.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh shucks. From the title of the thread, I thought you were OFFERRING dates with Scalia.

IF they were friends in the past, it’s not a problem.

I guess most serious love affairs start with friendship

Originally posted by GENIERE
IF they were friends in the past, it’s not a problem.
Of course it is still a problem...I don't care if they were college roommates, in their current situation they should maintain a professional distance.

I agree.
If Scalia wasn't presiding over Cheney's case then it doesn't raise any issues.

From the article
"Setting aside any evidence of actual bias, the ethical rules recognize that the perpetuation of an appearance of partiality is a threat to public confidence in our federal courts."

Last edited:

1. What is the controversy surrounding "Date with Scalia"?

There is controversy surrounding "Date with Scalia" due to the fact that Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia was invited on a hunting trip by Vice President Dick Cheney, who had a case pending before the Supreme Court at the time.

2. Did Scalia recuse himself from the case involving Cheney after the hunting trip?

No, Scalia did not recuse himself from the case involving Cheney after the hunting trip. He argued that the hunting trip did not create a conflict of interest and therefore did not require recusal.

3. Are there any rules or guidelines for Supreme Court Justices regarding recusal from cases?

Yes, there are rules and guidelines for Supreme Court Justices regarding recusal from cases. However, these guidelines are not binding and it is ultimately up to the individual Justice to determine if recusal is necessary.

4. Has this type of controversy surrounding a Supreme Court Justice's actions happened before?

Yes, there have been previous instances of controversy surrounding a Supreme Court Justice's actions. For example, Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg faced criticism for attending an event hosted by the National Organization for Women while a case involving the organization was pending before the Court.

5. What was the outcome of the case involving Cheney and the hunting trip?

The case involving Cheney and the hunting trip ultimately ended in a 7-2 ruling in favor of Cheney, with Scalia being one of the Justices in the majority opinion. The Court ruled that the trip did not create a conflict of interest and did not require recusal.