Shipping Crate: Speed to Reach Top of 8m Ramp at 37°

• Thread starter trajan22
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, to find the speed needed to give a package at the bottom of the ramp so that it has zero speed at the top of the ramp, one can apply conservation of energy and use the equations for kinetic and potential energy, as well as the force of friction. By setting the equations equal to each other and solving for velocity, one can find the required speed to be 11.19 m/s.
trajan22
You are working for a shipping company. Your job is to stand at the bottom of a 8.0-m-long ramp that is inclined at 37 degress above the horizontal. You grab packages off a conveyor belt and propel them up the ramp. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the packages and the ramp is mu_k=0.30.What speed do you need to give a package at the bottom of the ramp so that it has zero speed at the top of the ramp?

I think I am having trouble finding the normal force to this problem but I am also unsure as to how to calculate the force when no mass is given...im sure it cancels somehow but just don't see it. any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
It would help to draw a vector diagram.

Gravity is always acting down, and the force is given by the weight of an object (W = mg).

Now friction acts parallel to a surface, but it is proportional (by mu_k) to the normal forcing acting on the surface. That force is at an angle with respect to the weight (force of gravity acting vertically).

Now one can apply conservation of energy.

At the beginning of the ramp, the consider the energy to be kinetic energy (KE = 1/2 mv2), and one is trying to find v.

Now what happens to that KE of the box? Part of the kinetic energy goes into increasing the gravitational potential energy of the box (mgh), and one finds h from the change in elevation of an 8 m ramp inclined at 37°.

The other part of the energy used in overcoming friction which acts opposite to the direction of travel, and that energy is simply Force * distance. That force as shown above is proportional to the weight (mg).

So write the equation of energy balance and note that m divides out.

im sure that this works but I am not familiar with the workings of kinetic and potential energy to the point where i could solve it using this... i have only used the second law that is f=ma and that force of friction is equal to mu*the normal force.

thus far i have been working this problem for what seems like an eternity and seem no closer to finding the normal force because of the lack of mass i know it is equal to cos 37 *mg and the frictional force is equal to mu times the normal force.

trajan22 said:
im sure that this works but I am not familiar with the workings of kinetic and potential energy to the point where i could solve it using this... i have only used the second law that is f=ma and that force of friction is equal to mu*the normal force.

thus far i have been working this problem for what seems like an eternity and seem no closer to finding the normal force because of the lack of mass i know it is equal to cos 37 *mg and the frictional force is equal to mu times the normal force.
You can let the mass as a parameter of the friction.
[tex]F_{frict} = km[/tex]
This same force will decelerate the mass, so when you calculate the acceleration yo cancel the mass.

so then if the force of friction is equal to cos37 *g this can also be considered the deceleration that friction provides so would that mean that gravity will also decelerate it acoriding to sin37 *9.8 then you could add the two decelerations?? if this is the case then v^2=2(a)8

Actually, since the weight is mg, the friction is m.g.cos(37).
But the acceleration is F/m, so m cancels and you have a = g.cos(37).

so if a is equal to that i put it in this equation v^2=v_0^2 +2ax and am getting the velocity needed to be 11.19 m/s is this being approached correctly

trajan22 said:
so if a is equal to that i put it in this equation v^2=v_0^2 +2ax and am getting the velocity needed to be 11.19 m/s is this being approached correctly
I didn't make the calculation, but the reasoning is correct.

1. How is speed of a shipping crate affected by a ramp angle?

The speed of a shipping crate is affected by the ramp angle because the angle determines the incline of the ramp, which in turn affects the force of gravity acting on the crate and the amount of work required to move the crate up the ramp.

2. What is the formula for calculating the speed of a shipping crate?

The formula for calculating the speed of a shipping crate is v = √(2gh), where v is the speed, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and h is the height of the ramp.

3. How does the height of the ramp impact the speed of the shipping crate?

The height of the ramp directly impacts the speed of the shipping crate. The higher the ramp, the longer the distance the crate must travel and the faster it will reach the top due to the acceleration of gravity.

4. What other factors besides ramp angle and height can affect the speed of a shipping crate?

The mass of the crate, the coefficient of friction between the ramp and the crate, and external forces such as air resistance can also affect the speed of a shipping crate on a ramp.

5. How can the speed of a shipping crate be calculated in real-world situations?

In real-world situations, the speed of a shipping crate can be calculated using the same formula (v = √(2gh)), but taking into account any additional factors that may affect the crate's movement, such as the weight and shape of the crate, the surface of the ramp, and any external forces present.