How much energy does a flat surface receive from an electromagnetic wave?

In summary: So to find the intensity after it has passed through the second polarizer, you need to find the cosine of the angle between the electric field of the light and the second polarizer. Then plug that value into the equation above to find the intensity ratio.
Alt+F4
An electromagnatic wave is traveling in vacuum with frequency 5.7 x 1014 Hz. The wave has average total energy density of 4.6 x 10-6 J/m3.

(e) How much energy does a 1.9 m2 flat surface (perpendicular to the wave propagation direction) receive in 9 s?

E = 23598 J, how do i get that number?

4.6*10^-6 = ATC??

Physics news on Phys.org
I1 / I0 = .871572

(b) Calculate the electric field amplitude E1 of the light after it has passed through the first polarizer. Express your answer as a fraction of the electric field amplitude E0 of the initial beam.

E1 / E0 = .933

I = c*e0*E2

I can't get the answer either thanks

Alt+F4 said:
An electromagnatic wave is traveling in vacuum with frequency 5.7 x 1014 Hz. The wave has average total energy density of 4.6 x 10-6 J/m3.

(e) How much energy does a 1.9 m2 flat surface (perpendicular to the wave propagation direction) receive in 9 s?

E = 23598 J, how do i get that number?
How far will the wave have traveled in 9 seconds? What is the volume of the cuboid traced by the surface and the distance traveled by the wave?

Hootenanny said:
How far will the wave have traveled in 9 seconds? What is the volume of the cuboid traced by the surface and the distance traveled by the wave?
the wave would have traveled 17.1 Meters in 9 seconds is that right? (1.9*9) = 17.1

Alt+F4 said:
the wave would have traveled 17.1 Meters in 9 seconds is that right? (1.9*9) = 17.1
Are you sure about that? How fast does an EM wave travel?

Hootenanny said:
Are you sure about that? How fast does an EM wave travel?
3*10^8 m/s

So 3*10^8 * 1.9 = 5.7E8 meters in a second so 5.13E9 meters in 9 seconds

Ok Got it thanks

Last edited:
Alt+F4 said:
I1 / I0 = .871572

(b) Calculate the electric field amplitude E1 of the light after it has passed through the first polarizer. Express your answer as a fraction of the electric field amplitude E0 of the initial beam.

E1 / E0 = .933

I = c*e0*E2

I can't get the answer either thanks
i have no idea on this one, i can't get the ratio at all

Alt+F4 said:
3*10^8 m/s

So 3*10^8 * 1.9 = 5.7E8 meters in a second so 5.13E9 meters in 9 seconds

Ok Got it thanks

Careful, your dealing with a volume there not a length, never the less your answer should be correct.

[tex]\hline[/tex]
For your next question it may be useful to note that;

[tex]\frac{I}{I_{0}} = \cos^2\theta[/tex]

and

[tex]E = E_{0}\cos\theta[/tex]

Although it is useful to remember that The ratio of the intensities is equal to the square of the rms of the Electric field.

Thanks alot, one last question

(c) The second polarizer is set at various angles within the range q 2 = 0 to 90°. Calculate the intensity of the light after it has passed through the second polarizer for the following values of q 2. Express each answer as a fraction of I1.

At q 2 = 22°: I2 / I1 =

So i am guessin i need to find final intensity which would be

S = S0 ((cos theta)^2)^2

is that right?

Alt+F4 said:
Thanks alot, one last question

(c) The second polarizer is set at various angles within the range q 2 = 0 to 90°. Calculate the intensity of the light after it has passed through the second polarizer for the following values of q 2. Express each answer as a fraction of I1.

At q 2 = 22°: I2 / I1 =

So i am guessin i need to find final intensity which would be

S = S0 ((cos theta)^2)^2

is that right?
do u have to calculate two diffrent numbers and then add them?

help meeeeeee

Note my original Equation above;

[tex]\frac{I}{I_{0}} = \cos^2\theta[/tex]

What are electromagnetic waves?

Electromagnetic waves are a type of energy that are created by the movement of electrically charged particles. They consist of an oscillating electric field and a perpendicular magnetic field, and they travel at the speed of light.

What is the electromagnetic spectrum?

The electromagnetic spectrum is the range of all possible frequencies of electromagnetic radiation. It includes radio waves, microwaves, infrared, visible light, ultraviolet, X-rays, and gamma rays.

How are electromagnetic waves produced?

Electromagnetic waves are produced when an electrically charged particle moves or accelerates. This can happen naturally, such as in lightning strikes, or artificially, such as in radio and television transmissions.

What are the uses of electromagnetic waves?

Electromagnetic waves have a wide range of uses, including communication (radio, television, and cell phones), heating (microwaves and infrared), imaging (X-rays and visible light), and sterilization (UV light).

What are the potential dangers of electromagnetic waves?

Exposure to certain types of electromagnetic waves, such as X-rays and gamma rays, can be harmful to living organisms. However, the use of electromagnetic waves in everyday technology, such as cell phones and microwaves, is generally considered safe and regulated by international standards.