Hard tutorial question can anyone help

In summary, a torpedo boat with a mass of 50 tons and a forward speed of 10 knots fires a 250-kg torpedo at a 30-degree angle with a relative velocity of 10m/s. The boat experiences a momentary reduction of 0.05m/s in forward speed due to the launch. However, taking into account the angle of launch, the actual loss of momentum in the x direction is 2165, resulting in a forward speed reduction of 0.043m/s and a descent of 0.025m/s.
plug2002
A torpedo boat with a mass of 50 tons is moving at 10 knots when it fires a 250-kg torpedo horizontally with the launch tube at the 30 degree angle. The torpedo has a relative velocity to the boat of 10m/s as it leaves the tube
1) Determine the momentary reduction v in forward speed of the boat?

it is meant as a linear impuse question, can anyone help me please!

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't help with the math at all, unfortunately. My first question would be regarding the launching method. Not all of them would impart the same reaction to the boat.

Have you done linear impulse questions before?

Start by converting all the units to SI and it might become a bit clearer.

The sub and torpedo as a whole has a combined linear momentum. Whe the two separate...

conservation of momentum
the mass of the sub + torpedo times its velocity before firing=
the mass of the sub*vsub +mass torpedo*vtorp.

or you could say that the sub is at rest altogether and fires the torpedo which then has momentum of 250*10=2500
so the sub must loose this amount of momentm
-2500=50,000*vsub
so vsub= -.05m/s
the sub looses .05m/s when it fires the the torp.

it aint rocket science, but wait, maybe it is

Unfortunately, phlegmy, you miseed an important portion of the problem: the torpedo is launched at a 30* angle. This will slightly decrease the momentum loss from the boat.

doh!
in that case loss of mom in x direction = 250*10*cos(30)= 2165
sub loosese .043 m/s in the forward direction! and starts to decend at
.025m/s

1. What is a tutorial?

A tutorial is a set of instructions or lessons designed to teach someone how to do something.

2. What is a hard tutorial question?

A hard tutorial question is a question that is challenging or difficult to understand, typically related to a specific tutorial or subject.

3. Can anyone help me with a hard tutorial question?

Yes, there are many resources available to help with hard tutorial questions. You can ask a peer, teacher, or search online for additional explanations or examples.

4. How do I approach a hard tutorial question?

To approach a hard tutorial question, start by reading the question carefully and breaking it down into smaller, more manageable parts. Then, use any available resources such as notes, textbooks, or online tutorials to guide you through solving the question step by step.

5. How can I improve my understanding of a hard tutorial question?

One way to improve your understanding of a hard tutorial question is to practice similar questions and review any mistakes or areas of confusion. You can also seek out additional resources such as tutoring, study groups, or online forums to get a different perspective on the question.