Solve Connected Blocks Problems: Magnitude of Force & Tension Calculations

• Thread starter S_fabris
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Blocks
In summary, Sergio's first problem was to find the force exerted on a 2.2kg block by an 8.2kg block. He tried 81N-63N, but that calculation resulted in an incorrect answer. He then tried adding the masses, but that calculation didn't work either. Finally, he calculated the force using acceleration and found that the result was 53.63N.
S_fabris
Connected Blocks HeLP!

I have two questions reguarding connected blocks (that are driving me crazy):
1. Two blocks in contact with each other move to the right across a horizontal surface(frictionless). Determine the magnituede of the force exerted on the 2.2kg block by the 8.2kg block.

--81N-->[2.2kg][8.2kg]<--13N--

2. Three blocks are on a frictionless horizontal surface. The blocks are connected by strings (massless) with tensions T1 and T2. Calculate tension T1

<--9.2--[3kg]--T1--[1kg]--T2--[5kg]--38N-->

ANY help with either one of these questions is greatly appreciated...i have tried a few times with both of the problems and i don't have many tires left on the homework server :cry:

Thank you,
Sergio

Physics news on Phys.org
S_fabris said:
I have two questions reguarding connected blocks (that are driving me crazy):
1. Two blocks in contact with each other move to the right across a horizontal surface(frictionless). Determine the magnituede of the force exerted on the 2.2kg block by the 8.2kg block.

--81N-->[2.2kg][8.2kg]<--13N--

2. Three blocks are on a frictionless horizontal surface. The blocks are connected by strings (massless) with tensions T1 and T2. Calculate tension T1

<--9.2--[3kg]--T1--[1kg]--T2--[5kg]--38N-->

ANY help with either one of these questions is greatly appreciated...i have tried a few times with both of the problems and i don't have many tires left on the homework server :cry:

Thank you,
Sergio
Look at the entire system. What is the NET external force acting on the system of blocks? What does Newton's 2nd law say about the acceleration of the system of blocks? Will each individual block accelerate at that same rate? Examine the forces acting on each of the blocks separately in a free body diagram. What is the magnitude and direction of the contact or tension force between the blocks? Does Newton's 3rd law come into play here?

well for the first problem...i tried 81N-63N for the total force exerted on bloc and found the acceleration by adding the masses. then i used that acceleration multiplied by 8.2kg to find the force (got 53.63N) but that's wrong. I did take into consideration all the things you have said and I am still stuck...perhaps helping me by suggesting an equation (all the ones i have tried have failed)

S_fabris said:
well for the first problem...i tried 81N-63N for the total force exerted on bloc and found the acceleration by adding the masses. then i used that acceleration multiplied by 8.2kg to find the force (got 53.63N) but that's wrong. I did take into consideration all the things you have said and I am still stuck...perhaps helping me by suggesting an equation (all the ones i have tried have failed)
Is that red 63 supposed to be 13? That's what you had in youur first post. The 53.63N is not wrong, it's just not the force you were asked to find. Think about what you calculated and how it is related to what you were asked to find.

1. What is Connected Blocks HeLP?

Connected Blocks HeLP (Health and Learning Program) is an online platform that utilizes interconnected blocks to teach students about health and nutrition in a fun and interactive way.

2. How does Connected Blocks HeLP work?

The program consists of a set of physical blocks that represent different food items and nutrients. These blocks can be scanned using a tablet or smartphone, which then displays information and interactive activities to help students learn about the nutritional value of each food item.

3. Is Connected Blocks HeLP suitable for all ages?

Yes, the program is designed to be used by students of all ages, from elementary school to high school. The activities and information can be adjusted to suit different age groups and learning levels.

4. Can Connected Blocks HeLP be used in a classroom setting?

Yes, the program is designed to be used in a classroom setting. It can be integrated into existing health and nutrition curriculum or used as a supplemental learning tool.

5. Is Connected Blocks HeLP based on scientific research?

Yes, the program is based on extensive research and has been developed in collaboration with nutrition experts and educators. It aligns with national health and nutrition standards and has been tested in schools to ensure its effectiveness.