What Are the Monopole and Dipole Moments of a Two Charge System?

In summary, the two point charges 3q and iq, separated by distance a, have a monopole moment of q(a+2) in the z direction and a dipole moment of 2qa in the z direction. The origin can be chosen to make the dipole moment zero, but in this case, it is located at the position of the -q charge.
stunner5000pt
Two point charges 3q and iq are spearated by distance a as in the diagram. Find the monopole, dipole moments and the approximate potential at large (in spherical coords including both dipole and monopole contributions)

monopole moment is sum of charges [itex]3q \hat{k} + qa \hat{k} = q(a+2) \hat{k}[/itex]

dipole moment is (assume that the origin is located half way between the two cahrges

then
[tex] p= 3q \frac{a}{2} \hat{k} + (-q}\frac{a}{2} \hat{k} = 2qa \hat{k}[/tex]

also
[tex] \overline{p} = p + qa\hat{k} [/tex]
[tex] \overline{p} = qa \hat{k} [/tex]
is this correct?

where di i got wrong? with the transofmration of coordinates? With the way i calculated p?? When i calculate the potential the dipole moment will point radially in the z direction hence [itex] \hat{k} = \hat{r} \cos\theta [/tex]

thank you for your help and responses!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
stunner5000pt said:
Two point charges 3q and iq are spearated by distance a as in the diagram. Find the monopole, dipole moments and the approximate potential at large (in spherical coords including both dipole and monopole contributions)

monopole moment is sum of charges [itex]2q \hat{k} + qa \hat{k} = q(a+2) \hat{k}[/itex]

dipole moment is (assume that the origin is located half way between the two cahrges

then
[tex] p= 3q \frac{a}{2} \hat{k} + (-q}\frac{a}{2} \hat{k} = 2qa \hat{k}[/tex]

also
[tex] \overline{p} = p + qa\hat{k} [/tex]
[tex] \overline{p} = qa \hat{k} [/tex]
is this correct?

where di i got wrong? with the transofmration of coordinates? With the way i calculated p?? When i calculate the potential the dipole moment will point radially in the z direction hence [itex] \hat{k} = \hat{r} \cos\theta [/tex]

thank you for your help and responses!

1. You seem to mean q and 2q in the first line. There should be no \hat k and no a in the monopole moment.
2. The usual convention for a charged object is to pick the origin so that the dipole moment is zero. I have not seen the diagram, so maybe you are told where to pick the origin.

oops

here is the diagram

pick a zer dipole moment... how in this case

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    4.3 KB · Views: 1,144
Meir Achuz said:
1. You seem to mean q and 2q in the first line. There should be no \hat k and no a in the monopole moment.
2. The usual convention for a charged object is to pick the origin so that the dipole moment is zero. I have not seen the diagram, so maybe you are told where to pick the origin.

but isn't hte dipole moment a vector?/

stunner5000pt said:
here is the diagram

pick a zer dipole moment... how in this case
For your diagram, the charge is 3q-q=2q.
With the origin given at the postionf of the -q charge, the dipole moment is
[tex]{\bf p}=3q{\bf\hat z}[/tex].

1. What is a monopole moment?

A monopole moment is a term used in physics to describe the distribution of electric charge in a system. It represents the overall strength of the electric field produced by a charged particle or object.

2. How is a monopole moment measured?

A monopole moment can be measured by calculating the product of the total charge and the distance from the center of the charge distribution. It is typically expressed in units of coulomb-meters (C·m).

3. What is a dipole moment?

A dipole moment is a measure of the separation of positive and negative charges in a system. It is a vector quantity that represents the strength and direction of the electric dipole. It is typically expressed in units of debye (D).

4. How is a dipole moment different from a monopole moment?

A dipole moment is different from a monopole moment in that it takes into account the separation of charges in a system, while a monopole moment only considers the overall strength of the electric field. Additionally, a monopole moment is a scalar quantity while a dipole moment is a vector quantity.

5. What are some real-life examples of monopole and dipole moments?

A monopole moment can be seen in the distribution of electric charge on a single particle, such as an electron or proton. A dipole moment can be observed in a molecule, where the separation of positive and negative charges creates a net dipole moment. Another example is in the Earth's magnetic field, which is created by the dipole moment of the Earth's core.