Getting Online in a Basement Suite: Do I Need a Cable Modem?

• Thread starter davidg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cable
In summary: You could try unplugging the cable modem and plugging in a wireless router. If that doesn't work you could try hooking up the wireless card to the computer and using that. I'm not sure if that would work or not.
davidg
I'm living in a basement suite. The landlords upstairs have internet through cable and told me I'd also have it, but all I have is the outlet where a TV type of cable would normally go.

Can I just buy a cable modem from a store, or do I have to get it through a cable company? Do I have to pay the cable company money, or should I be able to just hook it up and use it? From what I understand the cable company charges you for the IP they give you because the number of IP's you have is related to how much bandwidth the system gets. Would the two modems be able to run on the same IP address?

A few days after I moved in, the landlords left a few things outside my door that I think they wanted me to use to create an internet connection with, but I have no idea how they expected me to use it. They left a wireless router, a small length of TV type cable and a wireless card without the required installation software. Is there a way I can use any of this to get online without a cable modem?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Sounds like they intend for you to share their internet service, you would not have your own personal account. I don't know what the cable company's policy is on how many computers are connected on a single account, it may not matter. Do you really want to be an extension off their service?

From what I understand the cable company charges you for the IP they give you because the number of IP's you have is related to how much bandwidth the system gets.
No, the IP address has nothing to do with bandwidth.

Where I live a lot of people rent out their basements, and the internet connection is usually shared. In most cases an internet cable (the kind that plugs into your computer) is run through the wall, but my landlords seem opposed to that idea.

My cable TV is shared with them, but I'm not sure if they've split the line or if they're paying the cable company for two lines.

From what I know of this.
If you buy another cable modem the cable company will charge since they key to the modems hardware address.

If they don't want wire then consider a wireless connection. That would plug directly into the existing cable modem and normally not be charged for.

1. Do I need a cable modem to get online in a basement suite?

Yes, a cable modem is necessary to access the internet in a basement suite. Cable modems use a coaxial cable to connect to the internet, which is typically provided by a cable provider. If you do not have a cable modem, you will not be able to establish an internet connection in your basement suite.

2. Can I use a different type of modem, such as DSL or fiber, instead of a cable modem?

No, a cable modem is specifically designed to work with cable internet connections. Other types of modems, such as DSL or fiber, use different technologies and are not compatible with cable internet. It is important to make sure you have the correct type of modem for your internet connection.

3. Do I need to have a wired connection to use a cable modem in a basement suite?

No, most cable modems also have the option to connect wirelessly through a Wi-Fi router. This allows you to connect multiple devices to the internet without the need for additional cables. However, it is important to note that a wired connection may provide a more stable and faster internet connection.

4. Can I rent a cable modem from my internet service provider?

Yes, most internet service providers offer the option to rent a cable modem instead of purchasing one. This may be a more cost-effective option for some individuals, but it is important to consider the long-term costs of renting versus buying a modem. Additionally, if you choose to rent a modem, make sure to factor in the monthly rental fee when considering your internet service costs.

5. Is it possible to install a cable modem in a basement suite without professional help?

Yes, installing a cable modem is a relatively simple process and can be done without professional help. Most modems come with instructions on how to set them up, and many internet service providers also offer online resources or customer support to guide you through the installation process. However, if you are unsure or uncomfortable with the installation process, it is always best to seek professional help.