Did FL-13 Impact the 2006 Midterm Election Results?

• News
  • Thread starter Gokul43201
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Midterm
In summary, the disputed election in Florida's 13th congressional district did not have a significant impact on the overall results of the 2006 midterm elections. While the race garnered national attention due to allegations of voting machine malfunctions and irregularities, the final outcome was a narrow victory for the Republican candidate. However, the controversy surrounding the election highlighted the need for election reform and raised concerns about the integrity of the electoral process. Ultimately, the FL-13 race serves as a reminder of the importance of fair and accurate elections in maintaining a functioning democracy.
Ahem ... let's not get ahead of ourselves.
Gokul in the OP said:
Use this thread to report results as they come in!

Physics news on Phys.org
In the House
191:Republicans
226:Democrats

18 still undecided. Looks like it will be a rather decisive majority.

As a side note, citizens of Arizona have passed all anti-immigrant propositions by 70 or so %

Tester's lead now at 7025 votes ahead 74% precincts

I think that Montana is the Republican's only hope for retaining the Senate (obviously enough).

EDIT: Gokul, I think you scared everyone off with your comment :smile:. I'm going to sleep in 10-20 minutes

Last edited:
Missouri's Stem Cell proposition is all but guaranteed to pass now.

South Dakota Gov. Mike Rounds' attempt to challenge Roe v Wade with SD referendum 6 (ban on abortions) has failed.

The minimum wage raise has been passed by all states where it was on the ballot.

The same-sex union ban was successful in all states except AZ.

In Ohio, smoking is now banned in all restaurants, bars, workplaces, other public places.

California Proposition 85: Apparently, Californians believe that Parents or Guardians don't need to know if ahead of time if their child is to have a freaking abortion! (so yes, Parental Notification was voted down)

California Proposition 87:
Funds for Alternative Energy

Voted down, hmmm.All efforts to legalize marijuana have failed. I am actually shocked at how close Nevada came to legalizing it though. Funny how in some states, smoking is being banned, and in others marijuana is almost passed.

Michigan will restrict affirmative action

Oregon also voted down a similar parental notification measure

Tester's lead is now only 5500. It's still shrinking!

EDIT: Woah, in Virginia, Webb's lead is now down to 7239 votes! I guess this was just reported!

EDIT: Looking at Montana Counties which haven't been counted into the CNN thing yet, I am not sure who will win. This could get closer...

EDIT3: Tester's lead grew slightly to 5639 votes
Webb's lead grew to 7380

Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:
Ahem ... let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Power has shifted be it a complete shift or not. But it sure looks good... :tongue2:

moose said:
EDIT: Woah, in Virginia, Webb's lead is now down to 7239 votes! I guess this was just reported!
There's only 5500 votes left to count in Va.

EDIT: Looking at Montana Counties which haven't been counted into the CNN thing yet, I am not sure who will win. This could get closer...
I've been looking at these for a while now and I'm certain that table is riddled with errors. Every other time I look at it, it seems they've got something wrong and have changed it.

Until about half hour ago, they had Yellowstone at 31% reporting; now it's down to 0%.

For what it's worth:
Tester = 5679 lead
Webb = I just saw on tv that his lead was about 2 thousand or so. How did that happen? I don't even know. Online it's still around 8 thousand though.

EDIT: Tester's new lead is 4861
It seems to hover between 5 and 6 thousand for the most part.

EDIT2: Tester's lead is now 3997... it seems to be shrinking. I guess we just hit that kinda district?
and now 3639
EDIT AGAIN: and now 3317

I will see how everything plays out when I wake up in 5 hours. Woot.

Last edited:
moose said:
California Proposition 85: Apparently, Californians believe that Parents or Guardians don't need to know if ahead of time if their child is to have a freaking abortion! (so yes, Parental Notification was voted down)

California Proposition 87:
Funds for Alternative Energy

Voted down, hmmm.

All efforts to legalize marijuana have failed. I am actually shocked at how close Nevada came to legalizing it though. Funny how in some states, smoking is being banned, and in others marijuana is almost passed.

Michigan will restrict affirmative action

Oregon also voted down a similar parental notification measure
Hee hee, reminds me of an election in Canada some years ago where for the first few hours the marijuana party was actually leading the vote. :rofl:

Of course, they didn't get a single representative, they never do, but for a few hours you could imagine a bunch of stoners sitting around the television :bugeye: "we did it guys!"

South Carolina has now put a ban on same-sex marriages into the state constitution, with about a 78% yes vote. There was already a law against them, but proponents argued that a constitutional amendment would be bulletproof against Commie liberal atheist activist judges.

The Republican governor was re-elected, despite some dissatisfaction among members of his own party because of his reluctance to work closely with the Republican-controlled state legislature. I saw a campaign sign for "Republicans for Tommy Moore" (his opponent).

All SC representatives to the US House (Republican and Democrat alike) were re-elected. Neither of our US Senate seats were up for election this year.

The most interesting race is the one for state superintendent of education, which the Democratic candidate at this moment leads by about 200 votes out of about 1,000,000, with 2058 out of 2059 precincts reporting. The incumbent Democrat did not run for re-election. The Republican candidate was expected to win because of her conservative pedigree and support for "school choice" (i.e. giving state vouchers to help parents send their children to private schools if they choose). However, she has no direct experience at all in the education field, as far as I know (as opposed to her opponent) and this apparently swung some votes against her.

moose said:

EDIT3: Tester's lead grew slightly to 5639 votes
Webb's lead grew to 7380

Care to break this down for those of us who aren't from the US. Last I heard the democrats needed three seats for the senate. I'd apreciate knowing if they're close to taking it? Interested parties at work would like to know. When you guys are awake of course :smile:

It's not clear yet on the Senate because at least two races (in Virginia and Montana) are very close. This is because voting methods vary and some votes are yet to be counted. It's really strange, but in the US the voting systems vary from state to state, so it's a matter of logistics at this point.

Montana Senate
Tester (D) 174,045
Burns (R) 172,302 - incumbent

Small difference of 1743 with 91% of precincts reporting

Virginia Senate
Webb (D) 1,170,564
Allen (R) 1,162,717 - incumbent

Difference of 7847 with 99% of precincts reporting

The total votes vary according to population of state and Virginia is one of the more populated states (7,567,465 - 12), and Montana one of the least (935,670 - 44th). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_states_by_population

As it stands, if the races conclude with those in the lead, still in the lead, then it looks like the Senate composition is

50 D - 49 R - 1 I, and one of the D (Lieberman in Connecticut) ran as O=Other. Lieberman lost in primary, a race to determine the party candidate, to another Democrat, but ran as Other rather than Independent and one Senate race. The lone declared/registered Independent is Bernie Sanders in Vermont. With this composition, the Senate will be an interesting institution.

===========================================
Democrats Seize Control of House; Senate Hangs on Virginia and Montana
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/07/us/politics/08elect.html
NY Times, Nov 8, 2006
But the fate of the Senate remained in doubt this morning, as races for Republican-held seats in Montana and Virginia remained too close to call as Election Day turned into the day after. Democrats would need both seats to win control of the Senate as well.

In Montana, Senator Conrad Burns, a Republican, was trailing Jon Tester, a Democrat, by a narrow margin. The race in Virginia — between another Republican incumbent, Senator George Allen, and Jim Webb, his Democratic challenger — was so close that some officials said it would have to be resolved by a recount.

That prospect could mean prolonged uncertainty over control of the Senate, since a recount can be requested only after the results are officially certified on Nov. 27th, according to the state board of elections. Last year a recount in the race for Attorney General was not resolved until Dec. 21

Last edited:
Some interesting congressional races in the NY

In my immediate area -

NY 19
Hall (D) - 90,019
Kelly (R) - 86,491 - incumbent (supported Bush and generally voted for Republican positions, but race still close)

NY 20
Gillibrand (D) - 115,017
Sweeney (R) - 101,989 - incumbent (supported Bush and generally voted for Republican positions) Sweeney may have health issues, and the latest concern was an allegation that he beat his wife, a few days before the election. His wife called the local emergency (911) telephone. But events are unclear.

Then

NY 24 - Sherwood Boehlert (R) is retiring. He was chair of the House Science committee.
Arcuri (D) - 98,409
Meier (R) - 83,069
Sylvia (L) - 1,909 (L = Libertarian)

NY 26
Reynolds (R) - 102,846 (Incumbent) - He is one of the House leaders implicated in the Foley Scandal, who may have known or should have known, but didn't take action.
Davis (D) - 95,449

Hillary Clinton took 67% of the vote. Watch for her next year, or by early 2008, to see if she will decide to run for President.

Manchot said:
As a Missourian, I'm extremely disappointed. Given that all the polls had suggested that the amendment enjoyed an overwhelming support (51% to 35%), it appears that the fundamentalists got out the vote. At the same time, McCaskill is currently losing by a surprising amount, suggesting that the same fundamentalists are influencing the Senate race as well.
Well, I certainly jumped the gun on that one. :biggrin: That's what I get for making assumptions based on figures with 19% of precincts reporting.

Where is there a list of approved, denied, and elected propositions/senators?

I love reading the discussion, but I would like a concrete list so I know exactly what happened. X.x

I am happy to report that Richard Pombo has lost in California's 11th.

Jerry McNerney 87,346

Richard Pombo 77,260

With 99.7% reporting

CNN and MSNBC both have pretty comprehensive state-by-state coverage. As for local issues, you'll probably need to turn to a local paper for that.

With 99% reporting, Tester's lead is down to 1700 votes.

I have little doubt that Webb has won in VA.

Manchot said:
CNN and MSNBC both have pretty comprehensive state-by-state coverage. As for local issues, you'll probably need to turn to a local paper for that.

The Secretary of State probably has online results. Google your state.

Astronuc said:
50 D - 49 R - 1 I, and one of the D (Lieberman in Connecticut) ran as O=Other. Lieberman lost in primary, a race to determine the party candidate, to another Democrat, but ran as Other rather than Independent and one Senate race. The lone declared/registered Independent is Bernie Sanders in Vermont. With this composition, the Senate will be an interesting institution.

It shouldn't be too interesting... the republicans have a better chance of getting democrats to vote with them than sanders; it's essentially a democrat majority. A tight one, but a majority.

Blahness said:
Where is there a list of approved, denied, and elected propositions/senators?

I love reading the discussion, but I would like a concrete list so I know exactly what happened. X.x

Main page/summary - http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2006/

Senate (complete list) - http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2006/pages/results/senate/full.list/

House (key races) - http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2006/pages/results/house/

Governorships (complete list) - http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2006/pages/results/governor/full.list/

Ballot Measures (selected) - http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2006/pages/results/ballot.measures/

Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:

I have little doubt that Webb has won in VA.

I agree, last time Virginia had a recount, about a year ago, the final tally only changed by like 20 votes.

Office_Shredder said:
It shouldn't be too interesting... the republicans have a better chance of getting democrats to vote with them than sanders; it's essentially a democrat majority. A tight one, but a majority.
Slim or not, it still changes the agenda!

Gokul43201 said:
If CNN's County results table can be trusted, all counties in MT have completed counting, except Meagher County, from which we have none of the results yet (why?).

According to the 2000 Census, Meagher had a population of 1932 people. In the rest of MT, about 40% of the population voted. So this puts the number of uncounted regular votes in MT at about 800.

The margin between Tester and Burns is 1100.

EDIT : Meagher uses paper ballots that are hand counted, but how long could it possibly take to count say, a thousand or so ballots?

EDIT2 : http://www.greatfallstribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061108/NEWS01/61108020

Meagher County was the only county not reporting results Wednesday morning. Election officials there said the nearly 900 ballots cast in the rural county were being counted by hand, and results were expected later this morning.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wake up and this is what I find:
Tester
Burns

1735 lead for Tester.

I'm almost positive dems will get Virginia and Montana now

moose said:
I'm almost positive dems will get Virginia and Montana now
There's going to be a recount in VA, and possibly one in MT too. I wonder how long that'll take?

Congratulations to the Dem's I think the whole (rest of the world) world was happy. To be honest, I hope this doesn't back-fire come the REAL Elections (Presidential). Considering the Mess the Republicans have made especially in Iraq, it may get the Dems hand dirty trying to clean it up...

Dems take House; Senate hangs on 2 neck-to-neck races
http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/11/08/election.main/index.html
(CNN) -- Democrats took control of the House of Representatives for the first time in a dozen years, but the crucial question of which party will run the Senate hung Wednesday morning on neck-to-neck contests in Montana and Virginia.

Democratic challengers have picked up four seats in the Senate, according to CNN projections. Republicans would need to take just one of the two remaining competitive races to keep control of the chamber.

Democratic Senate candidates won in Rhode Island, Pennsylvania, Missouri and Ohio, as well as independent Senate candidates Bernie Sanders in Vermont and Joe Lieberman in Connecticut -- who are expected to vote with the Democrats.

But in Montana, the race between Republican Sen. Conrad Burns and state Sen. Jon Tester is too close to call, although Tester shows a razor-thin lead. With 99 percent of the ballots counted, Tester leads by fewer than 2,000 votes.

If Tester wins, Democrats could secure Senate control by winning in Virginia, where embattled Republican Sen. George Allen trailed his Democratic challenger, Jim Webb, by fewer than 6,000 votes out of more than 2.3 million counted.

Webb declared victory early Wednesday, saying, "The votes are in, and we won."

But Allen wasn't backing down. "The election continues," he said.

If the parties split the Virginia and Montana races, that would create a 50-50 breakdown in the Senate, assuming that Sanders and Lieberman will caucus with the Democrats. In that event, Vice President Dick Cheney's constitutional authority to break tie votes would keep the Senate under Republican leadership.

GOP: 'Deeply disappointed'

House Majority Leader Rep. John Boehner, R-Ohio, said Republicans were "deeply disappointed in the outcome."

"Our challenge as Republicans is to regain our confidence, our courage and our energy to address the big issues that matter," Boehner said in a statement.

Boehner's predecessor, former House Majority Leader Tom DeLay, suggested Republicans were largely at fault for their losses.

"We took a whipping last night, and we understand that," DeLay told CNN's "American Morning." "The Democrats didn't win, the Republicans lost."
:rolleyes: :rofl:

Thanks for all the info Astronuc and for demystifying your electoral process somewhat.:smile:

The Ohio results were a strange mix of "all politics is local" and "no, it isn't".

In the House, all incumbents held (or are projected to hold) their seats. Even in Columbus, the most liberal district with a conservative representative, the incumbent Deborah Pryce(R) has narrowly beaten her challenger (pending a possible recount). Pryce did a fair bit to distance herself from Bush and Iraq, these last few days, and that helped her. The only sign of throwing any bums out of the House was the whipping defeat handed to Bob Ney's replacement, Joy Padgett(R), by liberal, Zack Space (no, he's not a comic book superhero).

The senate race saw the exact opposite result. Incumbent, and very long-time (US and state) senator, Mike DeWine(R) was easily ousted by the far from shiny Sherrod Brown. Voting with the president some 95% of the time was what did it.

In the race for the statehouse, Ohio Secretary of State Ken Blackwell(R) (of 2004 Presidential election disaster fame) was upended by Ted Strickland. Blackwell must be completely shattered. In his (Blackwell's) own words (approximately), Bush had "guaranteed" him this Governorship, way back in 2004! This must make Blackwell seriously question his faith!

Smoking is completely out, as are slot machines. The minimum wage will be raised and required to keep pace with inflation.

Bye Bye Donald, first neo-con to fall :approve:

Anttech said:
Bye Bye Donald, first neo-con to fall :approve:

Huh? What do you call Rick Santorum then, a potato?

Unfortunate news for the impatient:

A Virginia Recount Would Not Come Soon

...While a recount seems likely, though, if it comes it will not come quickly.

According to a statement issued this month by the state’s Board of Elections, no request for a recount may be filed until the vote is certified, which is scheduled to happen this year on Nov. 27th.
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/us/politics/08cnd-recount.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

It's a relatively sizeable margin in absolute terms, so I'm calling a Webb victory for this one (hurray!). Perhaps the racist Sen. Allen will look at the 2000/2004 debacles and decide not to seek a recount.

No, of course one cannot get the results earlier.

After all, it would be scandalous if, say, the Supreme Court just went ahead declaring a the Democrat candidate the winner?