Maths options for engineering

In summary, the conversation is about whether taking the "modelling and stats" option in high school is necessary for pursuing a career in engineering, specifically mechanical or structural engineering. The speaker mentions they have not used statistics in their engineering courses so far and only focus on mechanics, dynamics, and statics. They also mention not having done any linear regressions or fitted curves to data. However, the other person advises not to worry too much about it and to focus on basic calculus for now, as there will be opportunities to take more math classes in the future.
nickenrite
hi I am still at high school, next year I am yr13 and I am taking calculas but not the other maths option 'modelling and stats' is this a good idea or do i need to take it to be a ME or structual engineer? thanks:smile:

Engineering news on Phys.org
Don't worry dude, the pain will come later anyways despites how you do in high school.

The truth is out there.

Been watching too much x-files lately clausius. :rofl:

Maths option for engineering

From what i know, u do not need "modelling and stats" to get into mechanical or structural engineering. I have not used any statistics in engineering so far. Only lots of mechanics and statics.

No statistics? Did I hear you correctly that you have not used any statistics? Have you ever done a linear regression? Have you done any work in which you took data? If not, you soon will. You most certainly need a basic understanding of probability and statistics to perform as an engineer.

As far as the OP is concerned, don't worry too much about it yet. If you are taking a basic calc class, you're doing fine. You will have plenty of opportunities to fill up your schedule with math classes.

That's right. I haven't done any linear regressions before. Not even in my college years. I only learned some fundamental stats during that time. But for my course in mechanical engineering, it's more important to know mechanics, dynamics and statics.

NTUENG said:
That's right. I haven't done any linear regressions before.

Have you ever fitted a curve or straight line to a set of data?

But for my course in mechanical engineering, it's more important to know mechanics, dynamics and statics.

Did you study random vibration in dynamics?

1. What are the common maths options for engineering?

The common maths options for engineering include calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, probability and statistics, and numerical methods.

2. Why is maths important for engineering?

Maths is important for engineering because it provides the necessary tools and techniques to solve complex problems, analyze data, and design and optimize systems. It also helps engineers to think critically and logically.

3. Do I need to have a strong math background to pursue engineering?

While a strong math background is not a prerequisite for engineering, it is highly recommended. Engineering courses are heavily math-based, and having a good foundation in math can greatly aid in understanding and applying engineering principles.

4. How do I know which maths options to choose for my engineering degree?

Most engineering programs have a set of required math courses that students must take. It is important to consult with your academic advisor to determine which maths options are best suited for your specific engineering major and career goals.

5. Are there any online resources or tools to help me with maths in engineering?

Yes, there are several online resources and tools that can help with maths in engineering, such as online calculators, video tutorials, and practice problems. Your university may also have a tutoring center or academic support services that offer assistance with maths courses.