Non-Calc based Physics before Calc based Physics

• Thread starter bob1182006
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential benefits of taking a non-calc based physics course before a calc-based physics course. It is not required, but it could provide a superficial understanding of physics topics in preparation for the more advanced course. However, it may not count towards the core courses for the degree and may not be worth the time and money. It is suggested to instead use the time for other courses or to self-study with a textbook.
bob1182006
Is there any benefits to taking Non-Calc based Physics before Calc based physics??

Although it's not required I was thinking maybe I'll be able to obtain some superficial look at some topics in physics in preparation for the real stuff, since for me I'd have to wait another semester to take the calc-based since I'm taking Calc I this coming spring.

any advice is greatly appreciated

-Eddie

Physics news on Phys.org
Most places do not let you get credit for both- you should check to make sure of that before you decide whether or not to do that.

I can receive credit for both, it's just that the non-calc would not count for my degree's core courses, only as an elective.

i don't really know if it would be worth it. I was discouraged from it when I was an undergrad. And in retrospective, learning intro physics was a lot EASIER in my mind with calculus. There are a lot of things that just make a little more sense when you actually get to see the proper derivation rather than just been told to take it at face value. You could always just sit in on the lectures with the Professor's ok.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't waste your time and money. If you want an overview, grab the text for the course and skim through it. Or any other basic physics text.

1. What is the difference between non-calc based physics and calc based physics?

Non-calc based physics is a branch of physics that does not require the use of calculus to solve problems or understand concepts. Calc based physics, on the other hand, uses calculus to model and analyze physical phenomena.

2. Why do some students take non-calc based physics before calc based physics?

Some students may take non-calc based physics before calc based physics because it provides a foundation of fundamental concepts and principles that are necessary for understanding more complex topics in calc based physics.

3. Is non-calc based physics easier than calc based physics?

It depends on the individual student and their strengths. Some students may find non-calc based physics easier because it does not involve advanced mathematical concepts, while others may find calc based physics easier because they have a strong understanding of calculus.

4. Can non-calc based physics prepare me for calc based physics?

Yes, non-calc based physics can provide a solid foundation of concepts and principles that will be helpful when transitioning to calc based physics. It can also help students develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are necessary for success in calc based physics.

5. Are there any real-world applications for non-calc based physics?

Yes, non-calc based physics principles are often used in fields such as engineering, architecture, and technology. It is also the basis for understanding everyday phenomena, such as motion, forces, and energy.