Find the speed of a transverse wave with one equation and three variables?

In summary, the conversation discusses a transverse wave represented by the function y = 2.3 sin(1.9x - 25t), where y, x, and t are in meters, meters, and seconds. The participants discuss the speed of the wave, the maximum value of y, the position of the maximum value in relation to time, and the relationship between this and the velocity of the wave. They also discuss how x must change to keep 1.9x - 25t constant and how to graph this information. Ultimately, they gain a better understanding of waves and their properties.
ToTalk
1. Consider a transverse wave represented by the function
y = 2.3 sin(1.9x - 25t)
where y, x, t are in meters, meters, and seconds
Determine the speed in m/s

2. No relevant equations.

3. I don't understand the way this problem is written. It seems like there are three variables with one equation, and I am supposed to arrive at a specific answer. Does anyone understand how to start this problem? Thanks very much for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
What condition must be satisfied so that y has its maximum possible value? How does the position of that maximum depend on time? What does that have to do with the velocity of the wave?

Hi OlderDan,

Thanks for the help! Ok, I realize that what is inside the parentheses must equal pi / 2. And does that mean that the maximum y value is 2.3? I'm still not sure about the next part.

Thanks

If anyone else knows how to help with this, I would appreciate the help. I think that when 1.9x - 25t = pi/2, the maximum amplitude is reached, but I am not sure how to use this info.

Thanks

ToTalk said:
If anyone else knows how to help with this, I would appreciate the help. I think that when 1.9x - 25t = pi/2, the maximum amplitude is reached, but I am not sure how to use this info.

Thanks

As time goes on, as it inevitably does, how does x have to change to keep 1.9x - 25t = pi/2? There is really nothing special about the value pi/2 in this question. Any constant value will do, so let's change the question to make it a bit easier. How does x have to change to keep 1.9x - 25t = 0?

Ok, so as t changes 1, x must change 25 / 1.9 = 13.16? So the answer is x changes 13.16 m for every 1 s change in t.

Is that correct? It seems right based on what you explained. Thanks again for all your help OlderDan.

ToTalk said:
Ok, so as t changes 1, x must change 25 / 1.9 = 13.16? So the answer is x changes 13.16 m for every 1 s change in t.

Is that correct? It seems right based on what you explained. Thanks again for all your help OlderDan.

That will do it. If you want to go back to the y = maximum condition where you had 1.9x - 25t = pi/2, you can solve this equation for x and graph x vs t. The graph will be a straight line with slope = Δx/Δt = 25/1.9 with an intercept of pi/(2*1.9). The intercept is the position (actually one of many positions, but you only need one) of a peak of the wave at time zero, and the graph shows the postion of that peak as a function of time. The slope Δx/Δt = 25/1.9 is the velocity of that peak, and hence the velocity of the wave.

Oh ok. I just did that in excel and it worked. Thanks again, that was interesting and very educational. I really gained some understanding from your help.

1. What is the equation for finding the speed of a transverse wave?

The equation for finding the speed of a transverse wave is v = λf, where v is the speed of the wave, λ (lambda) is the wavelength, and f is the frequency.

2. What is the significance of each variable in the equation?

The variable v represents the speed of the wave, which is measured in meters per second. The variable λ (lambda) represents the wavelength, which is the distance between two consecutive points in the wave with the same phase. The variable f represents the frequency, which is the number of waves that pass a given point in one second.

3. Can this equation be used for all types of waves?

No, this equation can only be used for transverse waves. Transverse waves are waves in which the particles of the medium vibrate perpendicular to the direction of the wave's propagation.

4. How can I measure the wavelength and frequency to use in the equation?

The wavelength can be measured by determining the distance between two consecutive points in the wave with the same phase. The frequency can be measured by counting the number of waves that pass a given point in one second.

5. Can this equation be used to find the speed of a longitudinal wave?

No, this equation cannot be used for longitudinal waves. Longitudinal waves are waves in which the particles of the medium vibrate parallel to the direction of the wave's propagation. The equation for finding the speed of a longitudinal wave is v = √(E/ρ), where E is the elastic modulus of the medium and ρ (rho) is the density of the medium.