Finding Summer Jobs Before Starting a PhD in Physics

In summary, the speaker is starting their Ph.D. in physics next year and has previously done REUs during the summers. However, they are not eligible for an REU this summer and are looking for other summer job options that will allow them to use their physics background. Examples of potential jobs include national lab summer programs and contacting faculty or groups they have previously done research for.
Euclid
Next year I will start my Ph.D. in physics. The last two summers, I have done REUs, but this summer I am not eligible. Does anyone know of any good summer jobs for someone in my situation? I am not necessarily looking for a job in research, just something fun that will require me to use my physics background. Is there any standard REU-type job that graduates often do the summer before they before grad school?

Physics news on Phys.org
They're out there. For example, national labs (Los Alamos, Pacific Northwest, etc) typically have summer programs for a variety of education levels.

I know that there are some programs out there that give you a chance for the summer after you graduate. I wish I could give you a link, but I'm sure if you looked for one, you'll find it.

Two additional thoughts:

Many faculty in graduate programs will offer summer RA's to incoming graduate students if you contact faculty that you are interested in working for -- it's a good (but non-committed) test run if you might want to continue as an RA with the group.

You could also perhaps directly contact groups that you have done research for in the past, since they know they won't have to train you again.

Good luck!

1. How important is it to find a summer job before starting a PhD in Physics?

It is highly recommended to find a summer job before starting a PhD in Physics. This will not only provide valuable research experience, but also allow you to save money and potentially secure funding for your PhD program.

2. What types of summer jobs are available for students pursuing a PhD in Physics?

There are a variety of options for summer jobs for students pursuing a PhD in Physics. These can include research assistant positions at universities or national laboratories, internships at companies in the science and technology sector, or teaching assistant positions at summer programs.

3. How can I find summer job opportunities in the field of Physics?

One way to find summer job opportunities in the field of Physics is to network with professors and researchers in your department. They may be able to offer you a position or connect you with potential employers. Additionally, job search websites and university career centers often have listings for summer jobs in Physics.

4. Can I still participate in a summer job if I am planning to take a break before starting my PhD program?

Yes, you can still participate in a summer job if you plan to take a break before starting your PhD program. Many summer job opportunities have flexible start dates and durations, so you can arrange for a job that fits your schedule.

5. Will participating in a summer job affect my PhD program or research?

Participating in a summer job can actually enhance your PhD program and research experience. It can provide you with valuable skills and knowledge that can be applied to your studies and research, as well as connections and references for future opportunities.