Need help with statics problem

• Thread starter bobbarkernar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statics
In summary, the conversation is about determining the value of alpha for a snowblower lever based on a applied force and the moment around point A. The person attempted to solve it using the equation M = F*d, but was off by a few decimals. They were reminded that this equation only applies if the moment arm is perpendicular to the line of action of the force, and that there are 3 equations that can be used to solve for the angle in this 2-D problem.
bobbarkernar

Homework Statement

a 2.9 lb force P is appplied to the lever which controls the auger of a snowblower. determine the value of alpha knowing that the moment of P about A is counterclockwise and has a magnitude of 17 lb*in

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i thought i could do it using moment= F*d
so 17=2.9 tan^-1(alpha)*4.8 see picture attatched
i did it this way and i was a couple of decimas off so if someone can point me in the right direction thank you

Attachments

• 3.5.JPG
    3.5.JPG
    13.5 KB · Views: 549
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
M = F*d only applies if your moment arm is perpendicular to the line of action of the force.

This is a 2-D problem so you have 3 equations that you can write down. Once that's done, you can see how to solve for the angle.

I would suggest checking your calculations and making sure you are using the correct units for each variable. It is also important to consider the direction of the moment and whether it is positive or negative. You may also want to try using the formula for moment in terms of force and distance from the pivot point, M = F*d*sin(alpha), and solving for alpha. If you are still having trouble, it may be helpful to seek assistance from a tutor or your instructor.

1. What is statics?

Statics is a branch of mechanics that deals with the study of bodies at rest or in constant motion. It is concerned with the analysis of forces acting on a body and the resulting equilibrium conditions.

2. Why do we need to study statics?

Studying statics allows us to understand the behavior of objects and structures under different loads and forces. This knowledge is essential for designing and constructing stable and safe structures, such as buildings, bridges, and machines.

3. What are some common types of statics problems?

Some common types of statics problems include finding the forces acting on a body in equilibrium, determining the center of mass of an object, and analyzing the stability of structures.

4. How do I approach solving a statics problem?

The first step in solving a statics problem is to draw a free-body diagram, which shows all the external forces acting on the body. Then, apply the principles of statics, such as Newton's laws and the equations of equilibrium, to find the unknown forces or variables.

5. What are some tips for solving statics problems?

Some tips for solving statics problems include clearly defining the given information, breaking down the problem into smaller parts if necessary, and checking the units and signs of your calculations. It is also important to draw accurate diagrams and use proper notation for forces and variables.