Solving for the Potential Energy of a Uniform Rod Attached to an Elastic String

In summary, when the uniform rod is rotated about the end A, the potential energy of the elastic string is given by: V = mga[(4k - 1)\cos\theta - 4k\cos\frac{\theta}{2}] + constant.
mr bob
Just come across a question and I'm at a point where i see no further.

A uniform rod AB, of mass m and length 2a, is free to rotate in a vertical plane, about the end A. A light elastic string of modulus kmg and natural length a, has one and attached to B and the other end to a fixed point O which is vertically above A with OA = 2a. Show that when AB makes an angle [tex]\theta[/tex] with the downward vertical, the potential energy, V, of the system when the string is stretched is given by[tex]V = mga[(4k - 1)\cos\theta -4k\cos\frac{\theta}{2}] + constant[/tex]

I drew the following diagram:-
diagram.jpg

I equated the GPE of the uniform rod to be
[tex]AB = -mg\cos\theta[/tex]

And when it comes to calculating the energy of the elastic string i tried:

[tex]OC = \frac{\lambda x^2}{2a}[/tex]

Where x is the extension in the string, which i calculated to be:

[tex]x = (2a\sin\theta - a)[/tex]

So:
[tex]OB = \frac{kmg(2a\sin\theta - a)^2}{2a}[/tex]

[tex]OB = \frac{kmga(4\sin^2\theta -4\sin\theta + 1)}{2}[/tex]

[tex]OB = 2kmgasin^2\theta -2kmg\sin\theta + \frac{kmg}{2}[/tex]

But since:
[tex]OB = \frac{kmg}{2}[/tex] is a constant, we can take it out of the equation.

Using the identity: [tex]\sin^2\theta = 2\sin\theta\cos\theta[/tex]

[tex]4kmga\sin\theta\cos\theta -2kmga\sin\theta[/tex]

However i can't get the 2nd term in the above equation to equal [tex]4kmga\cos\frac{\theta}{2}[/tex]

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Bob, how can you be sure the angle made by AB and OB is 90 degrees?

Hmm. Since the triangle OAB is isosceles, could i split it into 2 right angled triangles to get the length of the extension in terms of [tex]\cos\frac{\theta}{2}[/tex]?

I'm not too clear why the sine of the angle theta can't just be used. Is there a fundamental flaw in my understanding of mathematics?

Thank you.

Just ran through it trying splitting the triangle and i got

[tex]OB = kmg(4a\cos\theta -4a\cos\frac{\theta}{2})[/tex]

As this is equal to the GPE of the rod.

[tex]mga\cos\theta = kmg(4a\cos\theta -4a\cos\frac{\theta}{2})[/tex]

[tex]V = mga[(4k - 1)\cos\theta - 4k\cos\frac{\theta}{2}][/tex]

Which is the correct answer.

Yea, you are right. Good work!.

1. What is stability physics problem?

Stability physics problem refers to the study of how objects maintain their position or motion in a given system. It involves analyzing the forces acting on an object and determining whether it will remain in equilibrium or undergo instability.

2. How do you determine stability in a physics problem?

To determine stability, we must first identify the forces acting on the object and calculate the net force. If the net force is zero, the object will remain in equilibrium and is considered stable. If the net force is non-zero, the object may undergo instability and its position or motion will change.

3. What factors affect stability in a physics problem?

The factors that affect stability in a physics problem include the magnitude and direction of the forces acting on the object, the object's mass and shape, and the environment in which it is located. Additionally, the object's center of mass and moment of inertia also play a role in determining stability.

4. How does the center of mass affect stability?

The center of mass is the point at which an object's mass is evenly distributed. In a physics problem, the center of mass must remain within the base of support for an object to remain stable. If the center of mass shifts outside of the base of support, the object will become unstable and may fall or topple over.

5. Can stability be improved in a physics problem?

Yes, stability can be improved in a physics problem by adjusting the forces acting on the object or changing its shape or mass distribution. For example, adding a counterweight can help to stabilize an object that is top-heavy. Additionally, increasing the base of support can also improve stability.