What are the capabilities of CNC machines for precision steel machining?

In summary, the expert is investigating ways to make a mold for hot-embossing, but is having difficulty because of the size and depth of the features he is trying to make. He is considering using CNC machines, but is unsure if the tooling is available. He is also considering using other methods such as EDM or laser, but is unsure if they are the right tools for the job.
DePurpereWolf
I am currently investigating ways to make a mold for hot-embossing. Normally this is done by for instance SU8 on a silicon wafer, or DRIE of a silicon wafer.

But my design is deeper than a normal wafer, around 5 mm deep.
Because the devices are actually fairly large (for microsystems) I would be happy having a resolution of only 25 micron (x, y, and z).

I am wondering what the capability of CNC machines are. The structures aren't too complex, the smallest line required is 90 micron high and 175 micron in diameter, 5mm long.

Is it possible to have this machined in steel?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't know of any tooling for a typical CNC 3 or 5 axis mills that can do that small of a feature. You may need to look into EDM but I doubt that would give you the surface finish you would need. All of our extremely small features relative term) are done with either EDM or laser. Typical machines I am used to have an accuracy to about .0005-.001" depending on the operator and the feature being machined. Grinding set ups can do much better than that, but can they actually make the features you need? I don't know on that without seeing what it is you are doing.

Don't they normally do this with CVD?

No, normally SU8 is applied with spincoating, or DRIE is used to etch the wafer. Wafers are only 0.5 mm thick. My problem is one of bith large and small sizes. The large features are easily machinable, around 3 mm deep and 6 mm wide. They are however much to deep for any of the micromachining processes normally used. (because wafers don't come in this thickness)

The features are a set of lines that will create channels when embossed in polymer. The largest is 3by6mm (height-by-width), the smallest 180by90micron.

EDM and 'laser' is more of a cutting method. So I do not think they would be the tool of choise for these ridges.

I am confused what you mean with grinding.

I see. Grinding is another material removal process, but it is a bulk removal. It is still too large scale of what you are doing.

This is definitely a specialized area. I'll keep my eyes open while looking around. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

It's an area in between classical engineering and micro-engineering based on IC processes. It is interesting for the field of MEMS which I am in.
But indeed, at this point in time I do not think there is anything worthwile.
Thanks for your response anyway.

I don't know of any tooling for a typical CNC 3 or 5 axis mills that can do that small of a feature. You may need to look into EDM but I doubt that would give you the surface finish you would need.

Last edited:
Microlution makes some 3 and 5 axis mills with 1 micron positioning accuracy: http://microlution-inc.com/. Not sure about the depth though.

A decent 3-axis can do that if you only need 25 microns of resolution. The bridgeports in the machine shop at my uni have a position accuracy of 0.001in (25.4um). A good machine will have an accuracy and resolution of 0.0005in (12.5um). Now if you need to start doing circles or complex curves at that size you might start having some issues but strait cuts shouldn't be a problem.

FYI, prepare to have a hard time finding and paying a lot for tooling.

EDIT: I just realized that this thread is 3 years old. :grumpy:

1. What is precision CNC steel machining?

Precision CNC steel machining is a manufacturing process that involves using computer numerical control (CNC) machines to shape and cut steel materials with high accuracy and precision. This process is often used in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and medical, where tight tolerances and high-quality finishes are required.

2. How does precision CNC steel machining work?

During precision CNC steel machining, a computer program is used to control the movement and operation of the CNC machine. The program contains instructions for the machine to follow, such as the specific cutting paths and depths. The machine then uses specialized tools, such as drills and lathes, to shape and cut the steel material according to the program's instructions.

3. What are the benefits of precision CNC steel machining?

Precision CNC steel machining offers several benefits, including high accuracy and consistency, faster production times, and the ability to create complex and intricate designs. It also reduces the risk of human error and allows for greater repeatability, resulting in a higher quality end product.

4. What types of products can be made with precision CNC steel machining?

Precision CNC steel machining can be used to create a wide range of products, including machine parts, tools, automotive components, medical devices, and more. It is a versatile process that can be used to manufacture both simple and complex designs, making it suitable for various industries and applications.

5. What is the difference between CNC and traditional steel machining?

The main difference between CNC and traditional steel machining is the level of automation and precision. CNC machines use computer programs to control their movements, resulting in more accurate and consistent cuts compared to traditional machining, which relies on manual operation. CNC machining also allows for more complex designs and faster production times.

Back