Photo-Source (OLED)& Photo-sensor (pTFT)

• Thread starter niikos
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is trying to calculate the light illuminance for a light sensor that is placed on the same surface as the light source. They have a light source that emits light in all directions, and the emitting area is larger than the sensor's area. The light source is given in cd/m^2 and the light sensor uses lux to calculate the production of current. The speaker asks a series of questions about the direction of the light emission and the steradian of the emission. They also provide calculations for the sensor's illumination based on the light source's luminance and the sensor's area.
niikos
Hello to everybody. This is my first post.

I have a trouble calculating the light illuminance that senses a light sensor.

Analytically. I have a light source (OLED) that is at the same surface as the light sensor (polysilicon-TFT). Also, the emitting area of the source is three or four times larges that the area of the senor. For the light source it is given the luminance from a figure of cd/m^2 to Voltages applied to it. For the light-sensor i have a equation that uses lux (lx) to calculate the production of current from it.
I need to calculate how much of light (in lux) is sensing the light-sensor from the light source. (assuming that there isn't another light source)

1st Question: The light source is emmitting light to any direction or only straight forward?
2nd : if straightforward what is the steradian of the emmition? (if it is at any direction, the steredian of the emmition is 2pi)
3rd : depending of the answer of the 1st question, is the light-sensor sensing any light?

So,
I know that cd/m^2=lm/m^2.sr=lux/sr. if the steradian of the light source is 2pi and the emmitting light luminance is A cd/m^2 the sensed light illumination of the sensor is A*2pi ? Am i right?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the source gives 10cd of light to any direction. A sensor of area 100x100um how many lux does it read?

So, the lumens are 10*4pi lm , and the illuminance: 10*4pi/(100um*100um) lux?
Am i right?

Hello, and welcome to the forum! It sounds like you are working on a interesting project involving OLED light sources and polysilicon-TFT light sensors. To answer your questions:

1. The light source is emitting light in all directions, but the intensity of the light will be strongest in the direction that is directly facing the sensor. This is known as the "normal angle," and it is typically the direction that is perpendicular to the surface of the OLED.

2. The steradian of the emission will depend on the design of the specific OLED light source you are using. Some OLEDs may have a more focused emission angle, while others may have a wider angle. It is important to consult the specifications of your particular OLED to determine the steradian of the emission.

3. Yes, the light sensor will be able to sense light from the OLED as long as it is within the sensor's field of view. The amount of light that is sensed will depend on the distance between the OLED and the sensor, as well as the intensity and angle of the emission.

In regards to your last question, the amount of light that is sensed by the sensor will not necessarily be equal to the luminance of the OLED multiplied by the steradian. Other factors, such as the distance between the OLED and the sensor, will also play a role in the amount of light that is sensed. It is important to use the equation that you have for calculating the production of current from the sensor, and to take into account all relevant variables in your calculations.

I hope this helps and good luck with your project!

1. What is OLED technology?

OLED (Organic Light Emitting Diode) is a technology used in displays and lighting that uses thin, organic layers to emit light when an electric current is applied. This allows for high-quality, flexible, and energy-efficient displays.

2. What is pTFT technology?

pTFT (Polymer Thin Film Transistor) is a type of transistor used in photo-sensors. It is made of organic semiconducting polymers and is used to detect and amplify light signals in photo-sensors.

3. How do OLEDs work?

OLEDs work by passing an electric current through thin layers of organic materials, causing them to emit light. The color and brightness of the light can be controlled by varying the amount of current applied to each pixel.

4. What are the benefits of using OLED technology?

OLED technology offers several benefits, including high contrast and brightness, wide viewing angles, fast response time, and low power consumption. It also allows for flexible and curved displays and can be produced at a lower cost compared to other display technologies.

5. How are pTFTs used in photo-sensors?

pTFTs are used in photo-sensors to detect and amplify light signals. The organic semiconducting polymers in the pTFTs allow for a high sensitivity to light, making them ideal for use in cameras and other devices that require light detection.