How to caculate a cubes Tilt

• Thread starter IMK
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tilt
In summary, the conversation revolves around calculating the tilt of a cube after it has been rotated from its initial vertical position. The user is seeking a way to sum the angles of the rotated cube to determine the tilt angle. Different methods and definitions for measuring tilt are discussed, such as using Euler angles or cross products. Ultimately, the formula for finding the angle between two vectors is suggested as a solution.
IMK
Hello, I am new to this forum so not sure if this is the correct place for this post.
How do I calculate the combined tilt of three axes? Please.

Imagine a cube standing vertical on one corner, from the point where it touches the surface you have three angles x1, y1, z1. (Its initial position).

Now, roll the cube over a little so it is no longer vertical and we have another set of angles x2, y2, z2. So how do I sum these angles please to calculate the tilt?.

I have tried a few ideas but none seem to be correct.

Many thanks in advance IMK

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by the "tilt" of something?

StatusX, many thanks for your reply.
Move the top corner of the cube a little in any direction so the line that runs from the bottom corner to the top corner is no longer vertical. Thus the x,y,z angles between the edges of the cube and the horizontal base have now changed.

So initially we had x1,y1,z1 when the cube was vertical, and x2,y2,z2 as the cube is now tiled over. So how do I sum x1,y1,z1 with x2,y2,z2 to calculate the angle of tilt .

Many thanks in advance Ian

Do you have a precise definition for tilt as a measurement? It's a pretty vague term, and right now the vector (x2, y2, z2) is seems to be a fine way to measure tilt. If you want a real number, you can take the norm of the vector ([tex]\sqrt{x_2^2+y_2^2+z_2^2}[/tex]). If you're working with an established definition for how tilt is measured, please post it.

Sorry, if my terms are poor but all I need to know is how I sum
x1,y1,z1 with x2,y2,z2 to find the difference?

x1,y1,z1 was vertical (90degrees) someone moved the top of the cube so it is no longer vertical and all I know is x2,y2,z2. What was once vertical 90degrees) is now some other angle? How do I calculate this please.
Many thanks in advance IMK

I'm still not sure what you're looking for. Maybe it'd help if you said what this is for.

What are "x1", "y1", and "z1"? Real numbers representing some form of angle measurement, right?

You say x1,y1,z1 is 90 degrees. How do you take a triplet of numbers and get one angle out of them?

I think everyone here know that by tilt you mean by rotating the cube slightly. No one here knows how exactly you want to measure this rotation.

Let me ask you this. Is this a problem for homework? Out of a textbook? Or just something you're curious about yourself?

In math and physics, it is common to break down an arbitrary rotation into three angles describing a rotation first around the z axis, then around the rotated x axis, then finally around another axis (often the new z axis again). Other axes can be used instead. The three resulting rotation angles are called Euler angles and they can describe any rotation (or tilt, as you call it). Take a look at this link for a full description
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/EulerAngles.html"
Following Eq. [65] is a procedure for finding the angles given the new x,y,z axis directions.

EDIT: corrected the order of the axes

Last edited by a moderator:
Many thanks for all your help and sorry if I did not manage to explain my problem, no it is not homework but a little project that I am working on.
However I think I have a solution in Cross Products thus:
Tilt = (( y1 * z2 ) - ( y2 * z1 )) / 90 +
(( x1 * z2 ) - ( x2 * z1 )) / 90 +
(( x1 * y2 ) - ( x2 * y1 )) / 90 = Diff between Vertical and Tilt.
This seems to be correct, but is there a better way or have I mist something.
Again many thanks IMK

I don't quite follow what x1,x2, etc represent, but if you have a vector representing the original position and a vector representing the tilted position, you can find the angle between those vectors with

[tex]\theta = \cos^{-1}{\left(\frac{a \cdot b}{|a||b|}\right)}[/tex]

1. How do you calculate the tilt of a cube?

To calculate the tilt of a cube, you need to measure the angle between one of the cube's faces and a horizontal surface. This angle is known as the tilt angle and can be calculated using trigonometry.

2. What tools do I need to calculate a cube's tilt?

To calculate a cube's tilt, you will need a ruler or measuring tape to measure the length of the cube's edges, a protractor to measure the tilt angle, and a calculator to perform the necessary mathematical calculations.

3. How do I determine the orientation of a cube?

The orientation of a cube can be determined by observing the position of its faces in relation to a fixed point. The fixed point can be a corner, edge, or center of the cube. The orientation can also be determined by measuring the tilt angle of the cube's faces.

4. Can the tilt of a cube change?

Yes, the tilt of a cube can change if the cube is moved or if an external force is applied to it. The tilt angle of a cube is not a fixed value and can vary depending on its orientation and position.

5. What is the significance of calculating a cube's tilt?

Calculating a cube's tilt can provide valuable information for various fields such as architecture, engineering, and physics. It can help determine the stability and balance of structures, the movement of objects, and the forces acting on them.