Jackson Electrodynamics problem 9.8a

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of electromagnetic angular momentum radiated to infinity by a classical oscillating electric dipole. The solution involves integrating the angular momentum density over a spherical shell with radius r->inf and thickness dr=c dt, and using the time-averaged Poynting vector 1/2 ExH*.
andrew1982

Homework Statement

9.8a) Show that a classical oscillating eletric dipole p with fields given by (9.18) radiates electromagnetic angular momentum to infinity at the rate
[tex]
\frac{d\mathbf{L}}{dt}=\frac{k^3}{12\pi\epsilon_0}\textrm{Im}[\mathbf{p^*\times p}]
[/tex]
Hint: The electromagnetic angular momentum density comes from more than the transverse (radiation zone) components of the field.

Homework Equations

Dipole fields (9.18):
[tex]
\mathbf{H}=\frac{ck^2}{4\pi}(\mathbf{n\times p}) \frac{e^{ikr}}{r}(1-\frac{1}{ikr})
[/tex]
[tex]
\mathbf{E}=\frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_0}(k^2\mathbf{(n\times p)\times n} \frac{e^{ikr}}{r}+(3\mathbf{n(n\cdot p)-p})(\frac{1}{r^3}-\frac{ik}{r^2})e^{ikr})
[/tex]
(n is the unit vector in direction x)

Electromagnetic momentum density (6.118)
[tex]
\mathbf{g}=\frac{1}{c^2}(\mathbf{E\times H})
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So I guess the angular momentum density is
[tex]
\mathbf{x\times g}
[/tex]
which with the fields in (9.18) simplifies to
[tex]
\frac{ik^2}{8\pi^2 \epsilon_0}\mathbf{(n\cdot p)(n \times p^*)}(\frac{k}{r^2}+\frac{1}{ikr^4})
[/tex]
if I use the complex Poynting vector
[tex]
\mathbf{E\times H^*}.
[/tex]
From here I'm not sure how to continue. This is the angular momentum density (per volume). If I integrate it over the whole space I get the total angular momentum, not only the part radiated to infinity. Since it is per volume I will not get the right dimension if I do as for the power radiated to infinity (integrate the Poynting vector over a spherical surface, radius R, and let R->infinity). What integration should I do?

I tried to integrate only the part prop. 1/r^2 (since I guess the other part will not "reach infinity") over a sphere with radius R and got
[tex]
\mathbf{L}=\frac{ik^3}{6 c \pi \epsilon_0}(\mathbf{p^*\times p})R
[/tex]

This looks similar to the answer, but will diverge in the limit R->inf. I also don't see how to take the time derivative of this. If I use the complex Poynting vector (which I guess I should?) the complex exponentials containing the (harmonic) time dependence will cancel.

Any hint would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi
thanks a lot for the link! Very useful website :)

Ok, so my understanding after reading this solution is that the electromagnetic angular momentum that is radiated to infinity in time dt is contained in a spherical shell with radius r->inf. and thickness dr=c dt. So dL/dt is obtained by integrating the angular momentum density over this shell volume and "dividing" by dt.

Furthermore, I should use the time-averaged Poynting vector 1/2 ExH*, since the answer in fact is the average flow of angular momentum to infinity.

Is this understanding correct? Thanks again.

1. What is "Jackson Electrodynamics problem 9.8a"?

"Jackson Electrodynamics problem 9.8a" is a problem from the well-known textbook "Classical Electrodynamics" by John David Jackson. It is a problem that involves calculating the energy and momentum of a charged particle moving in a magnetic field.

2. What is the purpose of problem 9.8a?

The purpose of problem 9.8a is to test your understanding of the concepts of energy and momentum in electromagnetic fields, as well as your ability to apply mathematical equations and principles to solve problems in classical electrodynamics.

3. Is problem 9.8a difficult to solve?

The difficulty of problem 9.8a may vary depending on a person's level of understanding in electrodynamics and their mathematical skills. Some may find it challenging, while others may find it more manageable. It is essential to study the concepts and practice solving similar problems to improve your skills.

4. What are the key concepts needed to solve problem 9.8a?

To solve problem 9.8a, one must have a solid understanding of energy and momentum in electromagnetic fields, as well as the Lorentz force equation. Knowledge of mathematical equations such as the dot product, cross product, and vector calculus is also necessary.

5. Are there any tips for solving problem 9.8a?

Some tips for solving problem 9.8a include carefully reading and understanding the problem, drawing diagrams to visualize the situation, breaking down the problem into smaller steps, and double-checking your calculations. It is also helpful to practice similar problems and seek help from a textbook or teacher if needed.