Verifying that the Euler-Lagrange equation uses generalized coordinates

In summary, the individual is seeking clarification about the use of generalized coordinates in the Euler-Lagrange equations. They plan to use the "brute force" method to verify this and are requesting assistance in transforming coordinates and understanding the concept. They also mention a resource that may be helpful.
Saketh
This is a question that I'm asking myself for my own understanding, not a homework question.

I realize that in most derivations of the Euler-Lagrange equations the coordinate system is assumed to be general. However, just to make sure, I want to apply the "brute force" method (as Shankar calls it) to verify that the Euler-Lagrange equations indeed use generalized coordinates.

So, here's the problem. Given the Euler-Lagrange equations in a Cartesian coordinate system [itex]x_1, x_2, ... x_n[/itex], show, by change of variables, that the equations retain the same form under a coordinate transformation.

[tex]
\frac{d}{dt} \left (\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{x_i}} \right ) = \frac{\partial L}{\partial x_i}
[/tex]

I have no idea how to go about transforming coordinates. I created a coordinate system [itex]q_i[/itex] which could be written in terms of the [itex]x_i[/itex], but I wasn't sure how to use brute force methods to verify that the E-L equations use generalized coordinates. If someone could show me how to do it, I would appreciate it greatly.

Thanks for helping me understand this!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
http://www.uio.no/studier/emner/matnat/fys/FYS3120/v05/undervisningsmateriale/Symmetry.pdf may be useful.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the Euler-Lagrange equation?

The Euler-Lagrange equation is a fundamental equation in classical mechanics that is used to describe the motion of a system. It relates the kinetic and potential energies of a system to the equations of motion that govern its behavior.

What are generalized coordinates?

Generalized coordinates are a set of variables that are used to describe the state of a system. They can vary depending on the specific system, but they are chosen in a way that simplifies the equations of motion and makes them easier to solve.

How is the Euler-Lagrange equation derived using generalized coordinates?

The Euler-Lagrange equation can be derived using a variational approach, where the system's motion is described as a path in a multidimensional configuration space. By varying the path and minimizing the action functional, the Euler-Lagrange equation can be obtained in terms of the generalized coordinates.

Why is it important to verify that the Euler-Lagrange equation uses generalized coordinates?

Verifying that the Euler-Lagrange equation uses generalized coordinates is important because it ensures that the correct equations of motion are being used to describe a system. This is crucial in accurately predicting the behavior of a system and making informed decisions based on those predictions.

Are there any limitations to using generalized coordinates in the Euler-Lagrange equation?

Yes, there are limitations to using generalized coordinates in the Euler-Lagrange equation. In some cases, it may not be possible to choose appropriate generalized coordinates, or the equations may become too complex to solve. Furthermore, the validity of the equations relies on the system satisfying certain conditions, such as having a well-defined Lagrangian function.